How to fix judges scoring corruption

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by Blue Manc, Sep 16, 2018.

1. pow

pow Boxing Addict Full Member

Apr 26, 2014
    It's important the judges remain as neutral as possible. Scoring is definitely subjective to which criteria they are favouring to score the fight and the angle the judge is viewing the fight from. The compu box stats show Golovkin landed more punches in 8 out 12 rounds but Canelo landed more power shots in 9 out 12 rounds. Canelo landed 46 to the body while Golovkin landed 6 and GGG landed 118 jabs to Alvarez 52. It was a close fight. Had it not been Golden Boy/Las Vegas this would have been one of those fights that 'could have gone either way'. Personally I think a draw was fair with not much to split the two fighters.

Home advantage, the crowd, gamesmanship, psychological edge are all a part of the pro boxing game. A system based purely on compubox stats with a pro aggressive formula could add transparency but personally I think removing some of this subjectivity could be bad for the sport as is looking the case with the VAR experiment in football.

I do agree with the posters advocating scores to be shown after each round.

People with their own agenda like Teddy Atlas do not help.

2. Smudge_

Smudge_ Teak tough Full Member

Jan 23, 2018
    The best solution would be to train the judges better. Get boxing experts to train judges to become experts. I don't actually know for certain, but I assume the judges do it as a side job? It would be good if there were professional judges that were full time and were brought through a proper training academy.

3. Robney

Robney ᴻᴼ ᴸᴼᴻᴳᴲᴿ ᴲ۷ᴵᴸ Full Member

Jan 18, 2010
    It's not an issue of training. I'm pretty sure that the vast majoriy of judges can perfectly score fights.
    If it was an issue of competence, the home and featured fighters should have the same issues of travelling and b-side fighters. But with judges scoring being about 95% in their advantage, it's rather a question of integrity.

4. Smudge_

Smudge_ Teak tough Full Member

Jan 23, 2018
    Well if my academy for boxing judging idea gets off the ground, they will teach lessons on integrity there too ; )

pow and Robney like this.
  5. Wass1985

Wass1985 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 18, 2012
    I think they should change the rulings, a fighter can't win on points unless he wins at least 8 rounds. If anyone fails to win 2/3rds of the fight then it is called a draw.

Sephiroth Rising 7 likes this.
  6. T_S_A_R

T_S_A_R Member Full Member

Jan 9, 2011
    Triple G was too passive at the start of the fight. If you are unlikely to get the stoppage or a knock down then you have to work every round. Golovkin had the two most dominant rounds in 10 and 11 but it's still only 20-18.

Canelo clearly fought for the judges in the 12th while Golovkin seemed to treat it like any other round.

7. Scissors

Scissors Posts are sponsored by Matchroom Full Member

Feb 11, 2018
    I stand by this.

Jurgen likes this.