How to get stronger in the clinch?

Discussion in 'Boxing Training' started by Brand NOOBian, May 14, 2014.

1. Brand NOOBian

Brand NOOBian Member Full Member

Jun 21, 2012
    I was sparring the other day against a guy I usually have no problems with. I stay out of range when not attacking, try to move in and out, counter punch, etc. Basically I just stay on the outside and outbox him. It was my first time sparring in over a month due to injury, and for the 1st two rounds it was pretty much a repeat of me punching/counter punching and only getting tagged a few times myself here and there. The problem started in the 3rd round. He already has much better cardio than me, and as I was starting to fade in the 3rd, he capitalized by rushing in and using his body to push me against the ropes. I've had guys try to do this to me in the past, and usually I'm able to circle out pretty quickly or push back pretty easily so that I'm not in any danger. This time I couldn't. I was trying to use all my strength to push him off, but I couldn't do it and just got more tired in the process. I was still able to land a few shots on the inside, but I took a lot more hits from him than I ever had before. Plus, I really didn't like the feeling of not being able to push him off of me and getting bullied into the ropes.

So my question is, how can I get stronger in the clinch? Any good exercises you know of?

2. dealt_with

dealt_with Boxing Junkie banned Full Member

Apr 27, 2012
    Strength exercises? If you just want to be able to push off in the clinch (which is illegal btw) then something like a bench press would do the job.

3. LebronJames

LebronJames New Member Full Member

Apr 26, 2014
    I whould reccomand you to practice your inside fighting and not always run away from your opponent . I sew many times at my gym guys who like to box from distance get beaten by fast dashing inside boxers who are levels lower then them . The reason is they tend to fall off balanse you cant get pushed around if you have good balance you will seem to be much heavier then you are if you are balanced try to keep the distance you want but if he gets in close range dont try to escape right away thats when you may get frightend and want to escape very fast so you fall off balance and lose your footwark and you are in no possition to throw punches and then its easy for him to push you around and hit you. Try to throw few punches from close range and then step back or pivit to the side. Also learn some tricks in clinching if it comes to that and dont waste too much energy in them. So you dont really need to get stronger in cliinches and waste your energy to push him off.

4. Speechless

Speechless Well-Known Member Full Member

Mar 7, 2012
    ^^^ good advice.

Often I see (mostly newer) guys trying too hard to push someone off of them, and it becomes a kind of wrestling match. Forget that. It's a waste of energy. Getting stronger - so you can push people off sounds like the wrong approach.

How about becoming more 'efficient' in a clinch? Which could mean some simple adjustments.
    - release tension, become limp - like a piece of dead weight and lean on them. Instead of pushing back and using your own energy. They will feel less inclined to clinch up.
    - Lean down and shoulder bump him in the gut to get him to back up, then nail him with a punch. Do this a couple times, and they won't want to charge in.
    - point your shoulder and lean in slightly to the right side (if you're orthodox). This protects you from uppercuts (versus those who clinch up in a square stance) and makes it easier to spin out, as you can push his elbow inward and use his momentum against him pushing him forward into the ropes. A philly-shell defense works particularly good here.

5. scrap

scrap Boxing Addict Full Member

Jul 15, 2006
    Good post

6. Speechless

Speechless Well-Known Member Full Member

Mar 7, 2012
    :good

7. Brand NOOBian

Brand NOOBian Member Full Member

Jun 21, 2012
    Thanks for the tips. I don't mean push off like 2 arms extended, schoolyard or bar fight type of push. More like when we're in the clinch and I want to turn him to one side or the other and "push off" to create some space to hit him. I couldn't get him to budge. Maybe it's more of a pride issue why I want to get stronger in the clinch. I know I'm not the strongest guy, but I'm one of the more overall stronger guys at my gym, and this was the first time anyone has been able to not only trap me in the corner/against the ropes but also keep me there. I will definitely try the shoulder bump to the gut next time.

8. Piece

Piece Well-Known Member Full Member

May 3, 2014
    For the shorter guy, I would recommend he gets low, and uses his head as a weapon. Having a strong neck really comes into play. They need to get a real tight defense and fire uppercuts into your body. Look for some openings up top, but really bang that body of yours.

9. KillSomething

KillSomething Boxing Junkie Full Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Hard to explain, pretty easy to do. You ever do any wrestling or judo?

All you really want to do is step around him. Basically you want to get his head under your arm or your head under his arm. You want to get your legs both to one side of him. Don't even worry about the punches. Try to tie him up, turn him, and then hit him.

Underhook his arm, take a wide step to the side you've hooked, throw his arm over your head and pivot out.

Drop your hips, get your shoulder in the center of his chest, shoot your lead hand around his head (like a quarter nelson), step around his lead foot with your lead foot, and swim out.

Tie up their lead arm, push the inside of their leg with your knee, push their chest with your lead shoulder, and pull their arm. Swing them open like a door.

He'll hit you while you're doing this stuff, but it won't be scoring or hurtful shots and you should just focus on getting to a better position.

You don't need to be physically stronger (I never am, against anyone), you just need to use leverage and forget about hitting him until you're off those ropes. You're tying to sneak out rather than force your way out. Also don't get pushed to the ropes in the first place. You can make a stand before you get there, use tricks like these to turn him, and then work him over on the ropes.

10. closedguard

closedguard Active Member Full Member

May 17, 2014
    Mike tyson was good at getting inside.

11. closedguard

closedguard Active Member Full Member

May 17, 2014
    Mike Tyson was good at getting inside and throwing boxers off balance.

12. Lartize

Lartize Active Member Full Member

Jun 22, 2011
    Wall sits, if you do 5x20min wall sits every day your core will be so strong most people in your weight class won't be able to move you.