How to hook off the jab

Discussion in 'Boxing Training' started by Giacomino, Feb 8, 2018.

1. Giacomino

Giacomino Member Full Member

Oct 15, 2016
    I'm having a bit of trouble mastering this move, specifically with how (much) to reset before the hook. Any advice on the mechanics of this - both for body and head hooks? Thanks!

2. Caimán

Caimán Member Full Member

Feb 1, 2015
    I assume you mean how to throw a left hook just after a light jab. If that's it I think I can help:

- Relax shoulders.
    - Not too much weight in the jab.
    - Full extension of your arm during the jab.
    - After that jab, as your arm come back to your guard (midway) throw the hook.
    - Quick twist motion on your pivot feet to throw a fast and powerful hook.
    - Lift your elbow quickly as you throw the hook.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2018
    Chuck Norris, PIRA and lucky luke like this.
  3. Caimán

Caimán Member Full Member

Feb 1, 2015
    Oh, and if you aim to the body you can drop your right shoulder after the jab to get a fluid sequence.

4. Giacomino

Oct 15, 2016
    Thank you for the answer - that's the kind of detail I was hoping for. I find it's hard to execute the whole thing at a decent speed - and the getting enough spring into the reloading is a challenge for me. Could be I'm not loose enough. I appreciate the pointers.

5. lucky luke

lucky luke Well-Known Member Full Member

May 18, 2013
    Don't bring back the to the guard between the punches. Throw the hook with the hand still "out there".

JagOfTroy and Giacomino like this.
  6. Giacomino

Oct 15, 2016
    I find that is definitely quicker but leaves a gap (as do most moves, I suppose). Perhaps it helps if you swivel slightly to the left - with the right hand tight in good position against the temple - on the retraction of the jab.

7. lucky luke

lucky luke Well-Known Member Full Member

May 18, 2013
    Yeah, as you say, it leaves you open as all punches do. I don't know how you use it, but I only throw it as a variation of the jab. Not as a power punch, but as a punch to set something else up, if you know what I mean. To get through a tight guard or something.

8. greynotsoold

greynotsoold Boxing Addict Full Member

Aug 17, 2011
    If you are trying to figure out how to hook off your jab from the top down you won't ever get it right. Figure it from the floor up; know where your weight is at all times. The key to making the hook an effective punch is getting your weight onto your right foot and turning on it.

PIRA, Giacomino and Pat M like this.
  9. Giacomino

Oct 15, 2016
    I've tried it as a powerful punch (the hook) several times - and usually come away a wiser, sadder man ;)

It is a handy throw in as a light, fast combo (my hook is really just a slap in that case) to provoke a mistake or goad the other chap into leaving a hole. When I do that I step in behind a solid jab and whip the slap hook across just prior to spinning out to my left. I'm vulnerable to a counter right when I do that if they're paying attention - though haven't been caught out yet.

PIRA and lucky luke like this.
  10. Giacomino

Oct 15, 2016
    Do you mean weight on the left (lead foot, for me), or actually on the right on the transfer? Sorry, wasn't clear to me.

But the 'floor up' concept definitely makes sense.

11. greynotsoold

Aug 17, 2011
    When you step in with your jab, you're pushing off with your right foot. When you move the front foot, you move the other foot as well. The weight has to shift back to the rear foot for the hook. Once you get the feeling of that transfer your hands will take care of themselves.

12. Giacomino

Oct 15, 2016
    I think I follow you - rock the weight from right to left foot on the jab, then snap the hook across with the transfer back from left foot to right? Kind of a fast tick-tock?

greynotsoold likes this.
  13. greynotsoold

Aug 17, 2011
    Yes. Keep in mind, the weight goes to the front foot real quick, very briefly, before it shifts back.

Giacomino likes this.
  14. BoxinScienceUSA

BoxinScienceUSA Member Full Member

Apr 22, 2011
    learn it by stepping forward with a 1-1-2. once you are timing your hands and feet together, turn it into a 1-3-2, with the 3 (a hook) being a long hook (elbow high, thumb down, palm facing away from you). for a variation turn the jab into a feint, and when they reach for the faked jab, step in with the long hook, and a right hand (1-3-2, or f1-3-2).

hooking to the body off the jab is a three beat combo; jab, slip/load to the left (if you're right handed) outside their right shoulder, come up with a left upper to the bottom rib (lots of people call that a hook to the body).

PIRA, scrap, Giacomino and 1 other person like this.
  15. Cobra33

Cobra33 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 2, 2006
    Arguello vs Escalara the second bout-Arguello jabs then takes Escalara out with a hook seconds latter.