How to properly snap your punches?

Discussion in 'Boxing Training' started by Wagoat, Oct 17, 2018.

1. walker smith

walker smith New Member Full Member

Jul 11, 2018
    max had some help from jack johnson as well

Wagoat likes this.
  2. bandeedo

bandeedo VIP Member Full Member

Feb 19, 2007
    for your straight punches the snap will come more from the extension of your elbow. get in a ready defensive position, now without moving your shoulders at all, hit your cheeks with your shoulder by using the extension of your arms only, dont worry about what your hands are doing. as you extend your arm, the side of your face will come closer to your shoulder as you rotate your thumb towards the ground. move your arm like youre trying to throw your tricep into the air above you and snap it. the snap should come from snapping the elbow into a straight locked position. remember to rotate your thumb downwards when snapping the elbow or you will hyperextend and damage your elbow. those last few inches before locking the elbow is where the extra power comes from, at that point you have created a huge amount of torque that is easy to deliver because it takes very little force for you to push those last couple of inches into a locked elbow, even if there is something pushing back against your fist. soon you will zero in on the elbow, tricep and shoulder and how it feels when you snap it.
    keep at it, your enthusiasm is contagious and a real coach would love to have a pupil with your drive. when the student is ready, the teacher will appear.

Wagoat likes this.
  3. Wagoat

Wagoat Member Full Member

Jul 19, 2018
    Thanks im gone work on it thanks again really appreciate it thanks

bandeedo likes this.
  4. Wagoat

Jul 19, 2018
    Tommy hearns with that long chopping right devastating.

And that short overhand of Louis beutiful

Two legende love watching those Guys fight

5. trinibbq

trinibbq New Member Full Member

Sep 19, 2017
    Man this **** is tough. I consider myself a natural and it's still took me 4 years. Granted my training is infrequent by amateur standards, but im a career man with a family so it is what is. Anyway, I really figured it out when i was shadowboxing high off sativa one day. Even when i figured it out I would mess it up a lot in the beginning by trying too hard. The degree to which you are relaxed plays an insanely important roll. On the heavybag I'm faster than I am in sparring because I don't tense up hitting the heavybag. That's why pros with less experience usually look like **** until they get to the 3rd round of a fight and have adjusted to the guys speed, power and tempo.

Mechanically, the hook is gonna be the hardest punch to snap for a beginner. Don't even bother until you get the jab and cross/str8 figured out. The str8 like every punch in boxing is dependent on your right foot. The right foot pushing forward and getting your hips in motion followed by a turn of the torso at your quickest speed concluded with getting your right shoulder and elbow to propel your fist forward at the same time. All these elements cohesively make up the snap. Every highlevel pro has it, some more than others. Snap ain't a guranteed key to victory, I've seen plenty of snappy punchers get beat in sparring by guys pushing punches. Why?? Lazy defense and/or not letting hands go.

Wagoat and greynotsoold like this.
  6. Wagoat

Jul 19, 2018
    It’s very hard indeed strange thing is my hooks uppercuts snap really easy only not my straights

7. Wagoat

Jul 19, 2018
    When hooking the heavybag it shakes but with straight punches it swings