How to use being more muscular than your opponent to your advantage

Discussion in 'Boxing Training' started by pimpparade, Sep 25, 2022.

1. pimpparade

pimpparade New Member Full Member

Oct 25, 2012
    Hey boxing bros I wanted some opinions from the experienced and/or trainers on this forum.

So from what you’ve learned and understand from boxing, what are ways a boxer that is heavily muscular (in general or for his weight class) can use his bodybuilding muscles to his/her advantage?

From how I understand things I would imagine the more muscular boxer would have the edge in clinches and inside fighting (granted he isn’t slow and stiff)

what are other ways you guys can think of? And please don’t state the obvious we all know that people like Arnold Schwarzenegger or Ronnie Coleman aren’t beating Mike Tyson or Tyson Fury I get that. I’m just wanting to discuss and learn ways to use having a physical strength advantage to your benefit.

Thanks to anyone that joins in this discussion and the more knowledgeable and experienced the better!

2. MAD_PIGE0N

MAD_PIGE0N ... banned Full Member

Sep 3, 2022
    Depends on what you mean by "more muscular" as usually the impressive-looking muscles are of so to say bad quality, while the softer ones, often smaller also, has way better properties. I assume the second, as the first is of use only if you want to impress, so yes - the main advantage will be when clinching and pressuring someone, but can also impact the power of your punches. But as it comes to boxing, it also depends on your style, speed, fighting intelligence, technique, so it's possible not to use their max for other reasons. This is valid for other styles of fighting. Being muscular will also require better cardio in general, but in such discussions it is not good to easily generalize.

3. viru§™

viru§™ Boxing Junkie Full Member

Aug 28, 2007
    Being muscular doesn't necessarily mean anything. If you said something like "I'm fairly muscular since I used to be a powerlifter." then we could assume you're pretty strong, which would give you somewhat of an avantage in certain areas. Just saying "This guy is muscular. What are the advantages?" No idea. I have muscle mass doesn't equate to anything.

Ph33rknot likes this.
  4. HolDat

HolDat Well-Known Member Full Member

Sep 25, 2020
    Leverage and technique may be the answer your looking for?

Jackomano likes this.