How useful is boxing in street fighting ?

Discussion in 'Boxing Training' started by White Tiger, Aug 29, 2012.

1. LongJab

LongJab Active Member Full Member

Mar 22, 2011
    Sorry... overexaggeration

2. norfolkinchance

norfolkinchance Active Member Full Member

Mar 28, 2009
    a mate of mine got to semi finals of national abas about 10 years before losing pon points. i would guestimate he is about 5 '7 and weighs about 60 kgs give or take

he has banged out doorman, brawlers, and multiple opponenets on multiple occasions

now he has got a good dig but he is small. if he wasnt a boxer he would have lost a lot of these fights

boxing helps a huge amount. mma and judfo help if goes to the floor but in a club or bar being able to nail someone with a big right or left hook before they know what is going on is going to win the day 9/10

3. Squire

Squire Let's Go Champ Full Member

Jun 22, 2009
    I don't know **** about MMA, but a boxer is going to be a lot stronger than an average person of the same weight so they'll have that if it comes down to wrestling. They'll also be harder to harder to take down in the first place because of movement and taking punches on the way in. Although fights can end up on the ground, they don't typically start on the ground (unless two people are lying on the ground next to each other, chatting **** until it gets violent), and the start of a fight is critical- so the boxer is at an advantage from the beginning

As far as mutliple attackers or being involved in a fight with a few people on each side, wrestling isn't going to be much use. A takedown isn't only taking the other person down, it's taking yourself down and making you vulnerable to kicks and stamping.

Kickboxing would be good because more of the body is used as a weapon, but then I wonder how effective kicking is if the guy using them isn't warmed up? Also people don't walk around in MC Hammer pants, so their legs will likely be impeded somewhat by clothing. From what I've seen (and read on this forum on the subject) it looks like a practical martial art like krav maga would be best, followed by stuff like boxing, kickboxing and muay thai. Effective striking. Wrestling would be handy too, of course, but a risk unless it's a 1 on 1 with no potential for bystanders joining in

4. dyna

dyna Boxing Junkie banned

Jun 1, 2012
    Butterbean would **** up people in street fights.
    Not only does he know MMA, he is a brawler with a terrefic overhand right.

Since most streetfights end in a brawl, they would just walk into the overhand.
    If you have ever watched the Bart Gunn KO you would knock they would become a bobblehead

5. Speechless

Speechless Well-Known Member Full Member

Mar 7, 2012
    Good point. Fully warmed up, I can do head kicks - but without one, I cannot kick past a chest. Let alone with jeans on.

6. democritus2k

democritus2k New Member Full Member

May 29, 2011
    I've seen fights end with one kick to the knees.

Head kicks in a street fight? You'd just be showing off.

7. r1p00pk

r1p00pk Well-Known Member Full Member

Mar 12, 2012
    One Guy is a boxer, it's a pretty ****ing good fight too, has you on your seat because one guy is just talking so much **** you get happy to hear him get ****ed up

[ame]http://www.worldstarhiphop.com/videos/video.php?v=wshh1c4q6z5kdc3HEpZD[/ame]

You can see who the boxer is in this, he's not great but he's disciplined enough not to make it a brawl. He gets taken down first few seconds, the boxer flips him off, he ****s him up nicely and gets a nice 2 knockdowns after the guy continues to talk more ****.

Conditioning is a huge factor here.

is there a rule where i can't post street fights? Im just trying to give an idea, ill remove the link if i get warned.

Lets be honest the best boxers for a street fight are guys who 1. can either Brawl it out because they have huge power. 2. Have great sense of distance and footwork with good counter punching.

If i was to be either of the 2 i'd rather be the guy with good distance, good footwork and counterpunching skills because distance determines if you can get taken down, it'll help with preventing a random punch from getting you. Even if you were feather fisted in the ring, a simple jab breaks the nose a right hand is a goodnight from anyone with good punching technique. Plus the Average joe in a group of attacks will most likely try to flail attacks with there friends and distance and counter punching is perfect, they run into punches.

8. highguard

highguard Well-Known Member Full Member

Apr 12, 2010
    boxing works wonderfully on the street
    most boxers i know
    have ruined guys in seconds on the street....
    the same cannot be said as often about wrestlers or even some muay thai guys

going to the ground on the street is really stupid
    (and i have done bjj for 4 years)
    because
    1.fights are rarely 1-1
    2. you can get bitten,eye poked,balls grabbed,small joint attacks(fingers etc)
    3.weapons etc
    i have seen people get really ****ed because of this
    grappling is good to know just in case though

but boxing is the best choice because
    its quick, you stay up on your feet etc
    not only can you punch and defend-be able to take punches
    you also have movement

if you get taken down
    by an untrained guy, a boxer should be able to get up
    because he is an atlelete and is quick and strong compared to the untrained guy,

if the guy can wrestle you gotta do something dirty
    unless its not 1-1 then your both in a crap position

and for **** sucks dont post james toney
    the guy is a ****ing embrassment who went into a new sport
    without training at all for it and was out of shape...while talking **** the whole time
    too bad couture didnt hurt him more
    to me he ruined his whole career

but if your gonna post him up
    lets not forget karem gaber who was much better wrestler then toney was a boxer
    this was a pure beast in wrestling, but like toney didnt think he needed to train for mma

see what happens

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59YNXojXe_4[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bQa1mqRXiU[/ame]

9. highguard

highguard Well-Known Member Full Member

Apr 12, 2010
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v27bg8vaTq4[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_d3KM_OMOxk[/ame]

10. NVSemin

NVSemin Sugar Boxing Full Member

Aug 26, 2012
  11. donizhere

donizhere Well-Known Member Full Member

Jul 4, 2008
    ofcourse boxing helps, you become better at being elusive,

and better conditioning/strength, your gonna have the upper hand

12. cutthroat22

cutthroat22 New Member Full Member

May 31, 2012
    The thing you can see is if its a 'fair' fight the the boxer will do pretty well. That said, that guy in the red could most likely have finished him early when he had him on the ground, most guys wouldn't be nice enough to not beat the guy properly on the floor and let him get up, thats probably due to the crowd watching. Street fights often aren't that clean and once it goes to the ground its anyones fight. There is no way anyone can say a boxer will beat a regular guy because there are so many different factors in it. Good fight though that, and its how fights should be but often aren't.

13. doylexxx

doylexxx Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 4, 2009

Yeah and in a boxing context somebody like Mayorga or Hamed

They dont do what they are "supposed" to do :lol:

14. Pugsley

Pugsley Fat Bastard Full Member

Sep 2, 2005
    That was nice

15. JuxhinBox

JuxhinBox New Member Full Member

Jul 22, 2012
    Trust me, street Boxing is beyond brutal. When you're on the street there aren't any rules. Fights dont last more than 2 minutes and dirty boxing is an art which doesnt usually 1 hit wonder, it slowly and painfully kills your opponent. If you never faced a guy in a competitive scene however then your confidence might not be as good as you think.