How useful is boxing in street fighting ?

Discussion in 'Boxing Training' started by White Tiger, Aug 29, 2012.

1. highguard

highguard Well-Known Member Full Member

Apr 12, 2010

the 2nd video is pretty famous, so who knows

and having worked in night clubs a long time
    the first video is how most street fights involving a boxer go,

just at the fight starts the speed and power and is too much for the untrained guy and it ends in secounds...

remember this is the street
    as soon as you get in someone's face
    the fight is on

2. highguard

Apr 12, 2010

thank you
    perfectly said

i know 60-65 kg boxer
    that ko'd bouncer bodybuilder(i worked with him before) with one punch

the bouncer was about 110 kg or so
    charged at my buddy and my buddy who is a southpaw
    hit him with a street left
    which landed around the eye and bouncer dropped on this knees streaming in pain, and was taken to a hospital with a broken oribal bone,

3. highguard

Apr 12, 2010
    or take a guy down and his buddy kick ****s your face in

example a bouncer i worked with was a judoka and we were in massive brawl
    which a bunch of jamican guys,
    so of the jamican guys swings at my buddy,
    my buddy easily ducks and takes him down,
    and arm bars on the ground..........THEN......
    one the jamican's came and steps on my friend's face,
    and my resulted in need of a surgery on jaw,,,,

remember street fights are rarely 1-1

and on the ground a boxer has an advantage over an untrained guy due to speed,power etc

just like a wrestler standing up more able to take punches then an untrained guy because the same reasons...

all that being said, i have some crazy mofo's who never trained much of anything who have beaten up trained fighters

4. paloalto00

paloalto00 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 15, 2009
    In my opinion, probably the best art in a street setting. There's no padding between your fist and someone's skull, you have both of your legs just incase more than 1 attacker comes at you..and the fastest way to knock someone out is with a punch

5. viru§™

viru§™ Boxing Junkie Full Member

Aug 28, 2007
    Your friend was in a brawl with more than one opponent and he decides to take someone to the ground and apply an arm bar? Is he a simpleton or something?

This makes no sense. I see many boxers that are around 120lbs. I weigh around 170lbs. You're saying these skinny little guys will overpower me purely because they box?

Can you repeat this in English? I think you're saying a boxer will be able to take more punches? They probably can when they're wearing a couple of inches of padding on their hands. Bare knuckles to face, I doubt it.

It's a lot more about psychology than people seem to think.

6. JDK

JDK Well-Known Member Full Member

Sep 29, 2010
    You need English lessons.
    This got old quick. If you don't get the point after 4 pages, then you were never planning on accepting the message right from the get go.
    The only thing I agree with is your last sentence.

7. captain hook

captain hook Well-Known Member Full Member

Dec 11, 2011
    its benefit if you are boxer in a street brawl but that doesnt mean that you will win/survive even if the guy you are fighting is not athlete.. there are rare situations when boxer takes more then one or two people down, they must be drunk or ******ed or that boxer is a long time street fighter..

even jack dempsey said that in street brawl, persons madness is fuel which is opposite in boxing ring where calmness is everything.. i know few people who trained some traditional martial arts (taekwondo) or muay thai, but in fight they will use ashtray, bottle, anything just to beat the crap out, and than they will go home for a gun to finish you off - madness..

8. KO Joe

KO Joe New Member Full Member

Aug 29, 2008
    Nothing stops a crazed, free swinging street fighter than a good old jab. Hard, you won't have to get inside, push his nose to his brain and it's over. 1 or 2 perfectly thrown punches by somebody who knows what they're doing ends a street fight fast. Like a 10 second KO! Boxing skills are very helpful in a street fight. A left hook to the liver will make any tough guy quiver.

9. MonkeyEarMuffs

MonkeyEarMuffs Dynamite Upper! Full Member

Nov 14, 2009
    Okay, I need to chime in on this. People need to stop separating boxing from fighting. Boxing IS fighting. We, as a society, practice a cleaner, more civilized version of boxing. Make no mistake, elbows, swings, headbutts, shoulder rams, forearm strikes, foot stomps, groin shots, throat punches. All these things are boxing techniques. Every missed hook is a landed elbow. We practice what we were taught, what is allowed, but as boxers, it is up to us to remember, it was, and always will be, the gentlemanly art of self defense. Boxing has, in its makeup, the ability to allow the practitioner the control to increase or decrease the intensity of the combat. Boxing is in itself, designed for frequent combat with an emphasis on causing damage while reducing damage to the practitioner. A well rounded boxer, meaning, a healthy, conditioned boxer with an understanding of all aspects of boxing (This means Olympic, pro, and bare knuckle concepts) is a freaking wrecking machine.

Old-school boxers, almost universally, knew how to wrestle. Clench boxing IS in effect, clench wrestling concepts with boxing thrown in. Just because people don't know how to handle themselves in the clench range now, does not mean that boxing solutions to many of the potential problems that come up during unarmed combat. With the exception of a ground game, boxing is one of the most complete forms of unarmed combat in existence. Boxers don't kick because it's dangerous. It surrenders the boxing base, which is the foundation of boxing. The boxers stance is designed for receiving and delivering blows, surrendering it for a leg kick or god forbid, a high risk technique such as a jump kick/roundhouse kick Etc. is suicide in a fight with a trained opponent, but, most notably, against a wrestler, which is what most boxers are faced with in the past and in the present.

If you learn how to box. All of boxing. You will be more than formidable. Think about it, if a chump starts beef, you engage, you range with a jab, dictate the pace, control for the possible take down, and pace the fight out to your benefit, no one, not a drunk guy, or a tough guy, or a bully, no one wants to get jabbed, punched, slugged, moved around, shoved, stomped, headbutted, elbowed and other wise mangled for 3,6, 9, 12 minutes. Most people on the street will eat a few stiff jabs, a cross and a hook, take their lickings and go get a pint.

just my 2 cents...

10. brown bomber

brown bomber 2010 Poster of the Year Full Member

Jul 1, 2006
    I estimate that 90% of people think they can fight.

I also estimate that 1% of that actually can.

Also if you get in a fight and your not defending yourself your pretty much an idiot. I've never started a fight with anyone.

11. MonkeyEarMuffs

MonkeyEarMuffs Dynamite Upper! Full Member

Nov 14, 2009
    Brown Bomber: I completely agree about starting fights. There is no reason two people should fight, especially when the situation can be handled with words.

On topic: This weekends lopsided ass-kicking handed out by Vic Darchinyan is a perfect example of what a truly full-rounded boxer can do to someone. Darchinyan's amateur background gives him a great understanding of what styles he should expect to come across, while his unorthodox style and natural southpaw "caginess", coupled with a solid understanding of old-school clench-boxing/dirty boxing, and a healthy dose of wrestling/clench wrestling technique (thanks to his father Ruben Darchinyan) makes him an absolute nightmare in a street fight. His only problem would be his obvious size handicap, as he is naturally small. Other than that, a wonderful example of complete boxing understanding, from technical to unorthodox theory, down to classic pugilism technique.

12. Bogotazo

Bogotazo Amateur Full Member

Oct 17, 2009
    Fully agree with this, touches on the same sentiments I laid out in my earlier post in this thread.

13. deadhead

deadhead Smoke Rings Full Member

Apr 13, 2012
    I didn't want to start a new topic, but I got in a fight today outside the ring, first one in my life other then sparring (first fight in december or january) and let me tell you, if i didn't box my ass would have been face down on concrete probably unconscious. I go to community college and to go i have to go through a seedy part of a town (lots of gangs) i have a late class that ends at 7:30 and by then it's already dark out, right before you get out of the ghetto part of town i stopped by a mcdonalds/gas station. I got out saw some punk ass kid about 18-21 probably had 30 pounds and 6 inches on me staring at me and my car while i was filling up, I made the mistake of taking my wallet out and he saw i had some cash on me, i walked inside (my buddy was in the car) got some big macs walked out and as soon as i took one step off the curb i got rocked on the side of the head, all my food and drink go flying but my adrenaline was instant, it's almost like i was anticipating it. he was throwing wild haymakers at me calling me **** like... I took a step back threw a jab right in the nose which flung his head back and a right to his throat, he fell down and got up and ran away.. this was all in about 15 seconds..

If i didn't do boxing i don't think i would have been able to take those shots or compose myself to not throw wild shots like him rather to pick my shots. I'm a small guy 5'6" 126. Now it is not exactly a streetfight, it was more of a failed jumping. but anyway, in my opinion boxing is extremely useful. Who knows what else that kid could have done.

14. Spooner21

Spooner21 Member Full Member

Apr 4, 2011
    nearly every single "street fight" i have seen has been 1 on 1. are you walking around compton with a swastika tattooed on your forehead or starting fights with the highschool wrestling team? street fights get so blown out of proportion its hilarious.

15. Bogotazo

Bogotazo Amateur Full Member

Oct 17, 2009
    Good for you :happy