How will elite kickboxers Badr Hari and Rico Verhoeven do in the heavyweight division of boxing?

Discussion in 'MMA Forum' started by BoxerMaurits, Feb 14, 2020.

Who will do better?

1. Badr Hari

5 vote(s)
    38.5%
  2. Rico Verhoeven

8 vote(s)
    61.5%
  1. BoxerMaurits

BoxerMaurits I’m from Sherdog Full Member

Jan 14, 2020
    Badr Hari has been Anthony Joshua's sparring partner and Peter Fury is Rico Verhoeven's boxing trainer, so he trains regularly with Hughie Fury. He has also been Tyson Fury's sparring partner.

So tell me what do you guys think?

2. lencoreastside

lencoreastside Obsessed with Boxing banned Full Member

Dec 27, 2010
    Baer has zero punch resistance. Glass jaw. Been knocked unconscious many times.

3. BoxerMaurits

Jan 14, 2020
    Badr can defenitely take a punch. Check out his kickboxing record. Especially in his last fight with Rico Verhoeven you saw that he can take some hard punches without getting stunned.

4. Deew

Deew Active Member Full Member

May 4, 2009
    Verhoven, younger, very mobile and fast for his size. Less injury prone.

Last boxing fight was six years ago, don't expect he will box again.

5. Aydamn

Aydamn Dillian Da Dissappointment Full Member

Jul 31, 2018
    Many years ago Badr was supposed to make the jump but he has had a tumultuous career to say the least,. Wasnt disciplined or stable enough in his life/career enough to break into boxing

No doubt he would have made a great boxer imo

As for Rico Boxing was never his forte, he worked with boxing trainers to improve that aspect of his game

Ricoo lacks power compared to badr but he is durable AF like Dave Allen levels

badr would have done great Ricoo not so much because Ricoo is a complete fighter preferring to use all limbs rather than relying on his less than stellar boxing ability

Badr was always my fav fighter

It's Ovah likes this.
  6. Robney

Robney ᴻᴼ ᴸᴼᴻᴳᴲᴿ ᴲ۷ᴵᴸ Full Member

Jan 18, 2010
    Verhoeven.

But I don't think either can take what they dish out, which makes them quite vulnerable.

heerko koois likes this.
  7. WhataRock

WhataRock VIP Member Full Member

Jul 29, 2004
    Badr would have been fun in the heavies a few years ago.
    Power in both hands and has real mongrel in him.

He could potentially be outpointed by semi pro journeyman now. To many miles on the clock.

8. theanatolian

theanatolian Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

May 2, 2015
    I was really excited with the prospect of Hari switching to boxing back in 2012, but It's probably too late now and his body seems to be falling apart.

Verhoeven could probably be better than Tyrone Spong, maybe build himself to be a fringe contender as Holzken is at SMW.

What dou you think @UnleashtheFURY ?

9. OvidsExile

OvidsExile At a minimum, a huckleberry over your persimmon. Full Member

Aug 28, 2012
    I thought Badr Hari was retired from kickboxing and carrying a bunch of injuries? How's an old beat up kickboxer having a go in a new sport going to do? My prediction, not well.

10. Aydamn

Jul 31, 2018
    Yet he was beating up the younger kickboxing generation like Rico who has been champ for umpteen years

Badrs body has failed him lately just like Haye but he is far from washed or beat up...

11. BoxerMaurits

Jan 14, 2020
    Yeah exactly.
    In the first round Rico tried to box with a lighter and faster Badr, with the result that he was knocked down. In the third round Hari caught him with a left highkick and Rico went down again, right before Badr tried to finish it with a spinning heel kick and got injured. This resulted in a very controversial end of the fight...

Badr has proven that he is still the most dominant fighter of the heavyweight division, against a champion who has been unbeaten for years. Rico is an excellent fighter tho!
    Next time Badr has to keep it simple and not throw crazy kicks, he's a bit more sensitive to get injured these days...
    That's why I think a transition to boxing is a good step for him at this stage of his career, he just turned 35 last December (which is not that old for a HW boxer). There's a smaller chance of getting these kinds of injuries in boxing. After all, Badr is a kickboxer who prefers to fight with his hands.
    The Netherlands has just approached Badr Hari to compete for them at the 2020 Olympics in Tokyo. I am very curious if he is interested in this offer! It is a great opportunity to put himself on the map in the boxing scene.

Aydamn likes this.
  12. Aydamn

Jul 31, 2018
    Wow, if Badr competed for NL that would be really fun. But he ain't a boxer, and boxing and kickboxing are worlds apart.

I was really pissed off when Hari through that spinning kick...and twisted his leg. While I completely understand why he would wanna do it... as his highlight reel KO to end a legacy just like against Stefan Leko, STILL though... he was winning and he didnt need to do that.

On both occassions when Badr fought Ricoo.. if it wasnt for the freak of nature accidents that occured, I have no doubt Badr would have KOd ricoo.

Badr is a level above and a total beast... one of the strongest strikers to ever grace the kickboxing ring.

Ricoo has my full respect and admiration both as a complete fighter and as a role model for kids, the community and the face of kickboxing. He is a gentlemen whereas Badr is not, even though I like Badr more as a fighter.. he is too unstable and effed up his career.

Ricoo is a worthy champion but he never beat Badr imo

It's Ovah likes this.
  13. UnleashtheFURY

UnleashtheFURY D'oh! Full Member

Sep 29, 2012
    Same! When I heard Hari had hooked up with Brother Naseem I was excited at the prospect of him competing as a pro HW even if it was a total crapshoot as to how he would do(chin and mental problems in and out of the ring)

I think Rico would do well in th Euro scene possibly reach fringe world status. But I think he's smart to remain in kickboxing and be a big fish in a small pond there as opposed to just another HW contender. If he did ever switch id hope he was fast tracked like Holzken and giving a big dght fast. Only takes 1.. you never know.

theanatolian likes this.
  14. UnleashtheFURY

UnleashtheFURY D'oh! Full Member

Sep 29, 2012
    You should have your doubts. Because Rico is notoriously strong in the 4th and 5th rounds. That fight was only competitive because Rico got sucked into the macho BS and got into dumb exchanges. When he pumped out his jab and kicks he was in total control(Rd 2). Hari got overzealous going for the finish as he often tends to. Threw a wild kick which Rico avoided and countered with a kick to Haris leg which caused the injury due to Hari being off balance and too much weight being on the one leg.

15. Sugar 88

Sugar 88 The Empire Struck Back Full Member

Feb 4, 2012
    Ah Hari. Ronaldo's erm... Friend. Yes, that's it, friend.

UnleashtheFURY likes this.