How will the long layoff after a devastating loss affect Wilder?

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by Perkin Warbeck, Feb 6, 2021.

1. Perkin Warbeck

Perkin Warbeck Boxing aficionado Full Member

Nov 4, 2017
    Would it be wiser for Deontay Wilder to have a confidence-building warm-up fight soon, rather than waiting for the outcome of the arbitration with Fury?

A long layoff after a devastating loss like Wilder suffered a year ago cannot be good for him. I think he needs a fight to get his focus back, instead of more long months of ruminating about what caused the loss to Fury.

2. young_wolverine

young_wolverine Member Full Member

May 31, 2019
    Agreed, a comeback fight vs Martin would have been perfect I hope it didn't really fall through. Wilder needs to rebuild some confidence fighta a top 15-20 guy then fight someone in the top 10 (like maybe Ruiz or Michael Hunter) and then he should be able to jump back into the deep end. An immediate rematch with Fury is a way to permanently damage his career if Fury beats him down again his aura will be gone.

3. Philly161

Philly161 "Fundamentals are the crutch of the talentless" banned Full Member

Oct 25, 2020
    i'm really starting to wonder if he'll end up retiring (even temporarily) before fighting again. i would be shocked if his next fight is against Fury and any time soon.

oldcanvasback and Eastern Iron like this.
  4. UniversalPart

UniversalPart Boxing Junkie banned Full Member

Jul 1, 2010
    Time off to regroup, rethink and re-strategise can be a great thing.

However, I doubt that Wilder has the brain power (no insult intended) required to know how to come back.

His power will never disappear though and fans will always be curious to see a great KO.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2021
    N17 and Heavy_Hitter like this.
  5. N17

N17 VIP Member Full Member

Feb 16, 2013
    Regardless how easy and sometimes pointless they were, Wilder has had 44 fights to Fury's 31 and AJ's 25.

So even though you can look at rounds boxed, think of the time in training camps, away from family and a rest might do him some good.

Add to that the beating he took from Fury, a long lay off could be the best thing to happen to him, get his mind straight and hopefully re-evaluate his career, get a new trainer, work on a few things and look at early summer to make a comeback.

Wilder won't be far away from a title shot even if he came back and had a couple of easy'ish fights, as said above Charles Martin would be perfect then maybe a Helenius or Kownacki then on to a title fight.. or Martin then maybe a final WBC eliminator with the winner of Whyte Povetkin.

Gives enough time for AJ and Fury to sort out their fights, he can work with a new trainer and hopefully iron out some issues and he would be in a seriously strong position to get a shot.

I wouldn't write Wilder off just yet, he carries enough power to KO any Heavyweight on the planet and while he has that power he is a serious danger.

So, if he can get a trainer in that can tweak some things and give him a confidence boost he could be a serious threat to whoever is champion.

6. UFC2020

UFC2020 Active Member Full Member

Sep 15, 2019
    Someone like Teddy Atlas will be a good fit for him. Two aggressive emotional verbal characters

oldcanvasback likes this.
  7. miniq

miniq Tyson Fury Undisputed HW Champion 18/5/24 Full Member

Oct 23, 2011
    The heavyweight division is full of men Wilder can snipe off.

Whether he can build himself back up into an attraction in the time required.

Plenty of big fights of him, does he want them though? Does he want to fight Whyte? AJ? Parker?

MagicE and Perkin Warbeck like this.
  8. KernowWarrior

KernowWarrior Bob Fitzsimmons much bigger brother. Full Member

Jul 12, 2012
    Wilder had one weapon, that weapon will remain as it is natural power, so cannot see long layoff will affect his in the ring ability.

However the longer the layoff, his desire to put in the hard yards in training camp might be diminished, so might think there is easier ways of making dollars.

Other than Fury, AJ and Usyk there are no big heavyweight names out there that can draw big gate/PPVs, so Wilder still has options to fight for decent purse if he wishes too.

Perhaps Wilder might use his time away from the ring to find a ring walk costumer who uses lighter weight sewing thread, he will be be fine then i'm sure;)

Stiches Yarn likes this.
  9. catchwtboxing

catchwtboxing Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 4, 2014
    I don't believe that Wilder will come back in any meaningful way. Maybe he'll sputter along having a fight every two years for the next 4-5, something like Gerry Cooney.

It was recently revealed that all the talk over "arbitration" and the like was to get money, and there never was the intention of forcing another Fury fight, which goes along with the idea that some people had that he let the contract expire and NEVER wanted one in the first place.

He is just trying to cash out in any way he can, and is no longer interested in the sport.

If he fights Martin, I will swallow these words, because in my opinion there is no chance whatsoever of that happening.

NEETzschean and It's Ovah like this.
  10. Rico Spadafora

Rico Spadafora Master of Chins Full Member

Feb 20, 2008
    Wilder is a Glass Jawed fighter. He is mentally shot. His resume is awful and he has been protected and coddled his whole career. Fury ruined him. There is no coming back unless he continues to fight handpicked opponents like Molina, Duhapaus, Szpilka, Washington, etc.

11. Serge

Serge Ginger Dracula Staff Member

Jul 21, 2009
    When your soul has been harvested it cannot be reclaimed unless you request permission from the person who harvested it from you and I'm afraid The Tuscaloser has not only burned his bridges with his trainer, manager, co-promoter and a sizable percentage of his minuscule fanbase but he has also burned his bridges with his surrogate gypsy father and the harvester of his soul Tyson Fury after his malicious and baseless accusations and sour grapes. Put a fork in his ass because his career is over.

12. IntentionalButt

IntentionalButt Guy wants to name his çock 'macho' that's ok by me Full Member

Nov 30, 2006
    Oh dear yes, his finely honed technical game might be thrown off. How ever will he remember through all the murk of rust and Fury match PTSD the way he used to windmill haymakers? :shakehead:

UnleashtheFURY and Max Thunder like this.
  13. Babality

Babality KTFO!!!!!!! Full Member

Dec 6, 2008
    Would love for him to get KO'd immediately again. Would laugh my ass off.

14. Boomstick

Boomstick Active Member Full Member

Nov 23, 2020
    By the looks of it, not well. His mental state doesn’t seem to allow him to realize that he needs to correct certain fundamentals, which, if uncorrected, will onoy lead to the same results.

Perkin Warbeck likes this.
  15. Reinhardt

Reinhardt Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 4, 2016
    He absolutely needs a tune up fight to regain confidence, all the talking in the world won't replace actually being in the ring. Go after Bryan and his worthless WBA title. Then he can squawk about a unification fight.

Perkin Warbeck likes this.