How would a prime Tommy Morisson and Ray Mercer stand up against Fury, Wilder, or Joshua?

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by mark ant, Nov 4, 2020.

1. mark ant

mark ant Canelo was never athletic Full Member

May 4, 2017
    But Morrison was easy to hit and had far less reach than Wilder, Tommy was knocked out by Bent, Lewis and Mercer.

2. mark ant

mark ant Canelo was never athletic Full Member

May 4, 2017
    Povetkin`s hooks were more skillful v AJ than Tommy`s were, and Povetkin has a better defense than Tommy had, AJ would bomb him at long range, Ruiz is more skilled on the inside than Tommy was.

Mitch87 likes this.
  3. Furey

Furey EST & REG 2009 Full Member

Oct 18, 2009
    All 3 of them beat Tommy

An in shape Mercer poses the most trouble... I think Fury beats him over 12 likewise AJ does too but less convincingly. As for Wilder, Mercer has the chin to absorb a lot of those bombs and I think he could get to him.

4. Unforgiven

Unforgiven VIP Member banned Full Member

Nov 24, 2005
    Morrison would lose to all three.

Mercer would lose wide to Fury.
    Mercer has a chance against AJ, but if AJ boxes smart he'd get through.
    Mercer v Wilder is 50-50.

5. Thecheckjab

Thecheckjab Active Member Full Member

Mar 15, 2018
    Mercer beats Joshua and Wilder. Loses to Fury.

Morrison beats Wilder. Loses to Joshua and Fury.

Yaiyr Alexander likes this.
  6. George Crowcroft

George Crowcroft Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 3, 2019
    I'd confidently pick the Mercer who fought Lewis to beat Wilder. I had that one a draw. I'd pick the Joshua who just beat Ruiz to outbox him clearly, though. If he trades, he loses. Fury schools him.

Morrison loses to all three IMO. Different levels entirely. He's very overrated IMO. If he lands, he could KO AJ and Wilder, but it's doubtful that he does before they land on him, and tbh, after watching him wale away on Carl Williams for rounds on end (a guy who's pretty damn glassy), I doubt his power quite a bit.

7. Thread Stealer

Thread Stealer VIP Member Full Member

Jun 30, 2005
    Morrison loses to all 3. He is dangerous with his power and heart, he might be able to pull off a stoppage over Joshua, but I wouldn't favor him. He had plenty of chin and stamina issues himself, and struggled with some fringe guys too.

Mercer is a question mark since he was so inconsistent. I scored the Lewis fight even. I think Lewis could have fought a more disciplined fight, but even when Lewis was doing more deliberate boxing from the outside, Mercer was having success with his jab. Then again, Mercer lost to Jesse Ferguson, 42 year old Larry Holmes, and was getting soundly outboxed by 8 rounds by Francesco Damiani before landing a miracle uppercut. At his best, I could see him beating both Wilder and Joshua. But the way he was, I think he would perform well and beat one of them, and then stink it up against the other and lose a decision.

Jackman65 likes this.
  8. Babality

Babality KTFO!!!!!!! Full Member

Dec 6, 2008
    Both of them KO Wilder.

9. Bigcheese

Bigcheese Well-Known Member Full Member

Jun 7, 2015
    Ray at his best beats wilder and possibly AJ. Tommy probably loses to all 3 but has a decent chance of beating Wilder

10. Somali Sanil

Somali Sanil Wild Buffalo Man banned Full Member

Sep 1, 2019
    Mercer’s all wrong for them bar fury, if he’s taking Lennox to the wire he’s beating poorer fighters in wilder an Joshua. Fury ud’s Him.
    Morrison could again beat wilder an Joshua, that left hook was evil, fury stops him an I’d make Joshua favourite but I think he can box better than wilder an has the dig to knock him out, Morrison imo is favourite

11. Somali Sanil

Somali Sanil Wild Buffalo Man banned Full Member

Sep 1, 2019
    Morrison had a better left hook than povetkin mark

12. heizenberg

heizenberg Well-Known Member Full Member

Nov 6, 2013
    Mercer I think is a tough fight for all three. He has a decent chance against Wilder cause his chin. He may be able to stand his ground and take some of Wilder's big punches and come back with his offense against Wilder who isn't a great defensive fighter. I could see Mercer getting to Wilder late in the fight and possibly stopping him. Against Joshua I think again Mercer has a chance but I think its likely Joshua would be able to box to a decision. Fury in his prime I think would win a decision against Mercer with his superior boxing and movement would be a tough fight though much tougher then Chisora I think a young Fury before he captured the championship would be in a real close contest against Mercer.

Morrison is more beatable for all three. I think Wilder would have a good chance of clipping him early. Joshua would likely get to him as well probably in the mid rounds. Fury I think could out box him and even may be able to get him out of there with an accumulation of shots. Morrison has a puncher chance in each bout but I wouldn't count on it.

13. Decker

Decker Boxing Addict Full Member

Jul 7, 2007
    Post #8 in and I don't have to post here :cool:

Mercer would have to be careful not to get hit flush from Wilder. If Wilder landed a flush right he could T/KO Mercer.
    Yes Mercer's worst fight would be vs. Fury. Tyson would pick him apart from the outside. That's the kind of loss that causes brain damage.

BCS8 likes this.
  14. Mitch87

Mitch87 Boxing Addict Full Member

Jul 29, 2018
    They all beat Wilder but lose to current AJ and pre retirement Fury.

15. catchwtboxing

catchwtboxing Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 4, 2014
    Mercer beats Wilder, and has a 30% chance of beating Joshua. NOt much chance against Fury.

Morrison is 50/50 with Wilder, and has no chance against Joshua or Fury.

A lot of people are overrating Mercer here. Yes, the guy had a top 5 heavyweight chin, a heavy punch, guts, and some legit skills. He was also surprisingly plodding in a lot of his fights, and was capable of going in there and stinking it up.

BCS8 likes this.