How would a scheduled 12-rounder between Lennox Lewis and Joe Frazier look?

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by mark ant, Jan 22, 2020.

1. mark ant

mark ant Canelo was never athletic Full Member

May 4, 2017
    Lewis was warned for holding too much twice by the ref in his bout v a faded Tyson, he`d struggle to cope with Frazier`s pressure even more, could Lewis defeat Joe or would Frazier hook him to death?

2. PernellSweetPea

PernellSweetPea Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 26, 2009
    I think Lennox would stop him early enough. How much did Frazier weigh when he fought Ali the first time? How much did Lennox weigh against Tua?

George Crowcroft likes this.
  3. swagdelfadeel

swagdelfadeel Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 30, 2014
    I think Frazier stops him while down on the cards.

RockyJim likes this.
  4. mcvey

mcvey VIP Member Full Member

Jun 2, 2006
    Lewis for me.

TipNom, Fergy and George Crowcroft like this.
  5. PernellSweetPea

PernellSweetPea Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 26, 2009
    The thing I am thinking is a 207 pound Frazier stops a 246 pound Lennox who fought Evander? That right hand of Lennox landing on Frazier. I don't know. We can compare Tyson taking Lennox punch later, but Tyson weighed 234.. The size difference is what makes me think Lennox would stop him early enough. If you have equal weight guys or Frazier 234 then Frazier would probably stop Lennox.

Entaowed and KidGalahad like this.
  6. Flash24

Flash24 Boxing Addict Full Member

Oct 22, 2015
    I see the size and weight queens are out again. They can't get the fact of any man over 200lbs can defeat another man who is larger and heavier. Boxing isn't Greco Roman wrestling. It isn't offensive linemen matching up against defensive linemen in the NFL. (But it's a known fact that smaller, but much quicker and sometimes much stronger defensive linemen routinely beat much bigger and much heavier offensively linemen)
    Skill level and how they would match-up would be the key to this fight.
    This is a bad match-up for Lewis. Here's why, though Lewis was bigger than Foreman, he fought with nowhere near the physicality. Lewis was the typical European style fighter, they usually fought standing straight up with little head movement
    1-2 or 123 type,jab, jab right hand. Usually very cautious style . Its completely wrong to beat Frazier, especially Frazier prior to FOTC. Frazier made the fastest heavyweight in history repeatedly miss his fastest jab in heavyweight history. He also made that heavyweight miss a majority of the fastest right hand in heavyweight history, both the lead and after the jab. I see no reason why Frazier wouldn't make the much slower Lewis miss even more punches than Ali did though he hit harder. Lewis generally fought in straight lines, with little if any side to side, Frazier would be able to time Lewis, and throw his hook were Lewis will end up.

Lewis NEVER came close to fighting at the pace Frazier would force him too fight. Great size usually makes great or even good endurance a major issue. Carrying all that extra bulk would become a major disadvantage as the fight got into the mid-late rds, even in a 12rd fight. Lewis would need to do what we've never seen him do against world class competition and that's jump on them early, try to get an early stoppage, blow Frazier out. But his history suggests he wouldn't do that. The longer Frazier in in there the more dangerous he would become. Frazier, knowing he's only fighting a 12 rd fight, would start making his push earlier knowing he is capable of fighting a fast paced 15rd fight.
    Fraziers hooks to Lewis's body , would take their toll earlier. Lewis would need too fight his best jab and grab fight to control Frazier to have any chance of winning. If he didn't, Frazier starts to really smoke around the 6th or 7thrds, stops Lewis probably in the 10th or 11thrd.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2020
    Reinhardt, johny, Smokin Bert and 3 others like this.
  7. JohnThomas1

JohnThomas1 VIP Member Full Member

Apr 27, 2005
    Lewis too big, long, good and powerful. That massive uppercut of his would be a game changer. Joe only knows one way and would keep coming forward until saved around the 5th.

KidGalahad likes this.
  8. THE BLADE 2

THE BLADE 2 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jul 14, 2009
    Frazier by stoppage. I agree with those saying that this is a bad style matchup for Lennox.

9. AwardedSteak863

AwardedSteak863 Boxing Addict Full Member

Aug 16, 2018
    As much as I absolutely love Joe Frazier, I am going with Lewis in this one. I think Lewis uses his long jab to keep Joe off and smashes him with his brutal right uppercut when Joe gets close. A lot of folks will point to Lewis's wins over Tua and Tyson as style comparison but I don't agree with that other than the height is similar. Joe fought at a ferocious pace and would force Lewis to do the same. I think Lewis would have some uncomfortable moments but would ultimately end up on top.

mcvey likes this.
  10. mcvey

Jun 2, 2006
    This assumes Frazier makes it into the later rounds which imo is not a given.
    Lewis lands enough jabs and occasional right hand to keep Frazier honest,and inside nails Frazier with the uppercut.Mid rounds stoppage win for Lennox imo.

11. THE BLADE 2

Jul 14, 2009
    On the inside this is Frazier's fight. If the likes Holyfield and Mercer were able to close the gap, you can bet the more slippery Frazier will do the same.

Reinhardt, RockyJim and mark ant like this.
  12. mcvey

Jun 2, 2006
    Holyfield proved he was stronger than Tyson, and Mercer was 238lbs,Lewis would tie Frazier up ,lean on him hold him around the neck and uppercut him.
    Frazier had his work cut out beating blubbery Mathis ,who had neither the power or the strength of Lewis.

TipNom and Fergy like this.
  13. JohnThomas1

JohnThomas1 VIP Member Full Member

Apr 27, 2005
    Bingo - the key.

14. THE BLADE 2

Jul 14, 2009
    Illegal Punch.

15. mcvey

Jun 2, 2006
    You might want to take a look at Ali's upper thighs after FOTC?

George Crowcroft and JohnThomas1 like this.