How would a scheduled 12-rounder between Lennox Lewis and Joe Frazier look?

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by mark ant, Jan 22, 2020.

1. mcvey

mcvey VIP Member Full Member

Jun 2, 2006
    Lewis wasn't very cautious against Botha,Rahman,Briggs,Grant,Golota,Ruddock.
    You're right about Foreman pushing Frazier back, he wanted him at the end of his reach, George threw a lot of looping .sweeping hooks then,Lewis didn't,his punches were straighter.

George Crowcroft likes this.
  2. Cobra33

Cobra33 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 2, 2006
    Frazier would chop Lewis down.

swagdelfadeel, mark ant and ETM like this.
  3. mcvey

Jun 2, 2006
    Old Lewis took Vitali's right hands and remained upright.Would Frazier?
    How many heavies had/have a chin as good as Ali's?

4. Fergy

Fergy Walking Dead Full Member

Jan 8, 2017
    The Jab of Lewis and his uppercut s, would be the key to breaking down Joe. Frazier s coming forward constantly plays in to Lennox s hands. They'd always be a off chance that one of Frazier killer hooks could scramble his opponents brain but I don't see it. As much as I admire "The Smoke ', I see him cut and swollen by round 10 and maybe a Kd or two by Lewis and not long after a weary Joe is stopped by the ref.

5. mark ant

mark ant Canelo was never athletic Full Member

May 4, 2017
    Lewis wan`t reckless v Ruddock he was mainly jabbing until Ruddock threw a jab to the body and fell out of position leaving him wide open to the right hand that put him in trouble, Frazier never punched himself out of position and Lewis would have to throw far more punches than he did in the first to keep Joe off depite Joe being a slow starter, Briggs hurt Lewis and his punches wre far easier to evade than Frazier`s hooks, Frazier would have destroyed Briggs who would miss most of his shots against Frazier`s bob and weave style.

ETM and RulesMakeItInteresting like this.
  6. mark ant

mark ant Canelo was never athletic Full Member

May 4, 2017
    Lewis was ragged v Vitali coming in a straight line each time he attacked, Frazier would have bobbed and weaved his way in v Vitali.

7. RulesMakeItInteresting

RulesMakeItInteresting Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 23, 2019
    I can picture this with the Steward-era Lewis...but I see the pre-Steward Lewis dominating Joe the first five or so rounds, with Frazier perhaps suffering a knockdown...but by the sixth the Smoke is up and starting to land the hook. The first time Lennox gets caught completely flush by the left hook he goes down, gets up...but then Joe proceeds to chop him down. Lewis migjht have a one round rally but that would be his last hurrah, chopped down and stopped in 10.

Fergy likes this.
  8. mcvey

Jun 2, 2006
    Point out where I used the word reckless please. Briggs would hurt Frazier don't worry about that
    Lewis got caught flush by Vitali's right hand and never looked like going down, why would he go down from Frazier's hook.Frazier fought ONE puncher of the calibre of Lewis and got used as a yo yo.
    Lewis fought a pretty decent collection of bangers Ruddock,Morrison,Tua,Bruno,Tyson, Mercer,Vitali

9. RulesMakeItInteresting

RulesMakeItInteresting Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 23, 2019
    Lewis was knocked stupid by an okay puncher (Rahman) and a better than average puncher (McCall).

Neither of them had Joe's hook.

10. mcvey

Jun 2, 2006
    Do you
    think Frazier would have survived those two right hands?
    I submit that Ruddock,Morrison and Tua all hit harder with their hooks than Frazier did.

11. mcvey

Jun 2, 2006
    Would you like to compare the career heaviest ,nearly38 years old Lewis who fought Vitali with the Frazier who fought Cummings?

JohnThomas1 likes this.
  12. THE BLADE 2

THE BLADE 2 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jul 14, 2009
    Lennox likes to throw the overhand right.Not a good weapon against Frazier, it won’t land.You know Ali had that quick straight right hand in his arsenal, much different

13. mcvey

Jun 2, 2006
    Slow Foreman had no trouble landing on Joe.

JohnThomas1 likes this.
  14. ETM

ETM I thought I did enough to win. Full Member

Mar 19, 2012
    Joe would eat those, grin and keep shuffling in. Vitali was a strong fighter but he was more of an arm puncher than his brother. Lewis only took Vitali's shots for 6 rounds before catching a break.

15. ETM

ETM I thought I did enough to win. Full Member

Mar 19, 2012
    Perhaps they did hit harder punch for punch. Those guys loaded up looking for an early shower. That's why they lost their A level fights. Frazier as you already know could outwork those guys 3-1 in punch rate. Joe carried his power into the mind and late rounds league's better than Morrison and Ruddock. Tua was able to carry some power late. He didnt expend much energy.