How would Ali beat Vlad?

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by ribtickler68, Aug 13, 2015.

1. brb

brb Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 14, 2010
    What is better about Frazier's hook? If anything he loops it alot more which makes him easier for a counter.

How much evidence do we have that Frazier could knock out big guys with his left hook? Wlad has fought many more styles than Frazier and has done much more damage with his left hook than Frazier did.

Wlad did not hurt David Haye with a left hook because Wlad was easily going to make a mistake and let Haye capitalize. Wlad is incredibly intelligent and disciplined. Haye hits considerably harder than Ali so Wlad could be more aggressive against Ali.

Shut up about Williamson already. Wlad beat him and on top of that Williamson didn't beat Byrd when he needed to which would have resulted in a Wlad vs. Williamson 2.

2. brb

Sep 14, 2010
    The guys chin must be pretty good if he hasn't been knocked down in over 10 years.

3. brb

Sep 14, 2010
    Who cares? Ali has faster handspeed, but the difference between power is much greater (in Wlad's favor).

Additionally, Wlad is a master at managing distance which Ali is not on his level about managing range.

4. brb

Sep 14, 2010
    How is he going to easily counter Wlad's left; he won't even be in range.

Ali doesn't have the power to keep Wlad off him.

5. uncletermite

uncletermite Boxing Addict banned

Aug 2, 2015
    Didn't really scroll though the other posts..if I was able to post links I could easily put this to sleep.however 5 months from now check what I post and myself.Wlad would trump ali due to being able to shut down his exact strengths.

6. uncletermite

uncletermite Boxing Addict banned

Aug 2, 2015
    Anyone can check who outsized who..Ali was 6'3 210 in his prime..its nonsense for anyone to try and think otherwise...Wlad hand speed can be seen on YOUTUBE its a real forum and he hits with lightning speed with smaller bags,add to the one two combination which I was referring to anyway,and you are clearly in the "STUPID" zone of uneducated fans.! the end! :shock:

7. Walkout Bouts

Walkout Bouts Member Full Member

Jul 22, 2015
    Ali vs. either Klitschko is a hard thing to fathom because he never faced anyone quite like them.

Personally I think he figures out he has to KO Wlad and does it. Wlad's grabbing, awkward defense is a lot less effective against a guy who punches at range with great speed.

Post-74 it's a different story tho, Ali won so many fights with tricks that wouldn't work on Wlad.

8. Walkout Bouts

Walkout Bouts Member Full Member

Jul 22, 2015
    it's actually not good.

9. Entaowed

Entaowed Boxing Addict banned Full Member

Dec 16, 2012
    Ali did not clinch much in his prime.

Ali was 212-214 in his prime fights, not 210 lobs. Small difference but I hateexxaegration in ANY direction to make a point. It erodes credibility, we must be scrupulously honest to have an opinions respected.

It sould be a hard fight, but Ali is significantly faster.
    I think ironically BOTH fighters should not have gotten away with all the clinching-but only one did it often & as an intergral part of his style in his prime.

Ali would land first, as in the lead rights he used on folks like Foreman.

10. PowerPuncher

PowerPuncher VIP Member Full Member

Jul 22, 2004
    I hate to say it as an Ali fan but Wlad would outjab him. It would be competitive ofcourse with Ali's speed and movement.

Then again Ali would probably be better with modern PEDs and nutrition. So it's hard to say.

11. latineg

latineg user of dude wipes Full Member

Jun 4, 2009
    Vlad has always been open to a good spinning back fist.

12. BCS8

BCS8 VIP Member Full Member

Aug 21, 2012
    As some others have pointed out, the jab would be key here. Ali arguably is better off here, in the sense that he'd have a significant speed advantage. However, I think Klitschko will land his fair share too, and with a lot more power than Ali.

The question is really, if Ali tries to turn it into a boxing match, can he outwork Wlad down the stretch without being turned to a pulp by the big Klitschko's jab? It's debatable. If Ali slows down and becomes a target, he loses. Wlad would methodically use his reach and power to dismantle him as he has done so many times before. Another problem for Muhammad is that he won't be able to out-clinch Klinchko. Wlad would for sure use his strength and weight to wear Ali down.

In my opinion Ali needs to be at his best and in perfect condition to win this one. If he did win, it would probably be a wide UD and everybody would rave about the quality of his technical skills. But, to be honest, I sort of favour Wlad to land enough cumulative damage to take the later rounds and maybe even stop him. This is a close fight in my opinion.

13. Wass1985

Wass1985 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 18, 2012
    The thing that would make Ali beat the likes of Wlad and Lewis is footwork above all else IMO.

14. BCS8

BCS8 VIP Member Full Member

Aug 21, 2012
    You are right Wass. Ali would have to hit without being hit. Without a doubt he could do it for a bit. But for a whole stretch without getting nailed? That's where the fun comes in. He'd have to put on maybe his greatest performance. Both Wlad and Lewis have serious skills.

15. mcvey

mcvey VIP Member Full Member

Jun 2, 2006

Yeah, anyone can check and I did!

Nortonx3
    Bugnerx2
    Lewis
    Terrell
    Williams
    Dunn
    Lavorante
    Daniels