How would Ali beat Vlad?

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by ribtickler68, Aug 13, 2015.

1. uncletermite

uncletermite Boxing Addict banned

Aug 2, 2015
    "Wlad punch for punch hits harder than Tyson" Freddy Roach.

2. fists of fury

fists of fury Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Oct 25, 2006
    Those are cliched arguments that don't do anything to sway me at all.
    You're forgetting Sanders was 38, out of shape and at the end of his career. I think he only had 3 fights after demolishing Wlad, losing 2 of them.
    Let's not talk of pre-prime since Sanders was almost 10 years past his best and fighting in Wlad's back yard. No excuses for Wlad here please.

3. mcvey

mcvey VIP Member Full Member

Jun 2, 2006
    I put up the Ali v Williams fight to illustrate Ali's handspeed and I accomplished that.Williams was 33 years old.
    So Williams was in his prime in1956?
    Wlad's opponents ?
    37years old Rahman
    41 years old Thompson
    39 years old Mormeck
    You have achieved the impossible.

Made yourself look an even bigger c*nt that you are!

4. fists of fury

Oct 25, 2006
    Who has he ever done this to?

5. Wass1985

Wass1985 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 18, 2012
    He more than likely does but he would be befuddled by Ali's lateral movement. Ali would be in and out before he knew it.

6. rex11y

rex11y Active Member Full Member

Oct 17, 2007
    Ha ha eloquently put!

7. mcvey

mcvey VIP Member Full Member

Jun 2, 2006
    :good The man's like a computer virus ..:patsch

I'm going to see if there is a McAfee scan that will clean him.

8. heizenberg

heizenberg Well-Known Member Full Member

Nov 6, 2013
    I see a prime Ali dancing around on the outside and beating Wlad to the punch in exchanges. I think Wlad would trouble Ali and catch him with some good clean punches winning a number of the rounds. But as the fight goes on I think Wlad would slow substantiallywhile Ali would keep his pace. I think Ali would do well with his right over Wlad's jab and set up combinations off of it. I think in the late rounds Wlad completely waivers and is dropped a couple times by Ali before the fight is stopped. So basically I see it being very competitive up until near the end where Ali would take over and stop Wlad.

9. Rock0052

Rock0052 VIP Member Full Member

Apr 30, 2006
    Chambers nearly got put in the morgue. Austin, Pulev. Shufford wasn't unconscious, but one shotted nonetheless off the top of my head.

Ali got hit and damaged by the left hook against smaller, slower, less skilled fighters who didn't hit as hard.

But, if you want to go with the Ali mystique angle and argue that physics don't apply to him, feel free. Why not give him the strength and durability of the 225 lb version, the speed of the 205 lb version, and the experience and seasoning of the 70's version to create an Ali amalgamation that never actually existed?

10. Wass1985

Wass1985 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 18, 2012
    That's how I see it tbh.

11. Vince Voltage

Vince Voltage Boxing Addict Full Member

Jan 1, 2011
    I'm going to see if there is a McAfee scan that will clean him.
    More like a Norton scan.

12. fists of fury

Oct 25, 2006

So to get to the meat of the matter that's only 4 fighters (being lenient) in a career spanning - how many fights is it? - where Wlad finished anyone with one shot. A tiny percentage. But he can do it to Ali? What percentile do you put on the chances of that happening without looking silly?

I don't need to build up mystique around Ali's toughness. The man took shots he had no business taking. To think his chin was anything less than iron is nonesense.

So forgive me but it's a massive, massive leap of faith to think Wlad takes out Ali with just one punch.

13. HerolGee

HerolGee VIP Member banned Full Member

Sep 22, 2010
    well I guess a title reading " how would wlad beat ali" would have no replies, so this is the best thread on the topic, on reflection.

14. mr. magoo

mr. magoo VIP Member Full Member

Jan 3, 2007
    As always you've made some outstanding points.

15. Rock0052

Rock0052 VIP Member Full Member

Apr 30, 2006
    Who cares if I look silly? You can put the odds at 0 percent and it wont change my call on it.

The Ali people peg as prime was a Cruiserweight sized fighter who had a habit of dropping his hands and pulling straight back, which led to him getting hit and shook from hooks from fighters who were smaller, slower, less skilled, and who didn't hit as hard with it as Wlad.

I didn't feel like scouring through the 50+ knockouts Wlad has, so I simply listed who I thought of immediately. If you're doubting the pedigree of that punch, more power to you. I buy in because I've seen what it does to people when it lands and I've seen worse versions land flush and affect Ali. There wasn't a single performance from Ali that had convinced me he can dance and avoid that hook for an entire fight.

Iron chins have a way of not mattering when a fighter 40 pounds bigger than you lands flush with power and precision like that. I don't doubt Ali's toughness. It's not an insult to suggest someone 40-60 lbs bigger than the other left hooks that shook him, delivering it with more skill, power, and speed, turns the lights out. That's physics.