How Would Douglas Have Done Against Wilder?

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Fergy, Jun 19, 2019.

1. Fergy

Fergy Walking Dead Full Member

Jan 8, 2017
    Take out Tyson Fury from the Wilder fight , And replace him with Buster Douglas at his best ?
    Does Buster get a win , draw or lose ?

2. reckless

reckless Active Member Full Member

Mar 18, 2018
    Douglas would be way too busy for Wilder. When has Wilder fought someone who is constantly throwing shots at him?

Fury is a low output fighter compared to Douglas.

I would go for a Douglas mid rounds stoppage, Wilder doesn't have the chin of Mike Tyson.

Sangria, Contro, Flash24 and 3 others like this.
  3. zadfrak

zadfrak Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 17, 2008
    I like Wilder in this.

I don't like Buster as much when he fights guys his size. I just think he does better when he has the built in advantage. Those long arms of Wilder are a real problem & prevent Douglas from doing the boxing and moving he wants all the time. And Wilder has that top notch conditioning and a nice edge in that department, especially if it goes late.

But the biggest factor is the Douglas habit of throwing that right uppercut from way on the outside. Way on the outside, as much distance as anyone ever needed. I have minimal doubts Wilder fires a right hand himself & he'll beat him to the punch. And Douglas will go getting tagged like that.

4. janitor

janitor VIP Member Full Member

Feb 15, 2006
    Douglas would have boxed Wilder's ears off!

Sangria, Flash24, BCS8 and 4 others like this.
  5. George Crowcroft

George Crowcroft Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 3, 2019
    To be fair there's a very long way between outboxing Wilder and beating him

emallini likes this.
  6. Smokin Bert

Smokin Bert Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 8, 2013
    Although Wilder has a puncher's chance to land a lucky (single) shot, the Douglas from 1987-1990 outboxes Wilder in a mismatch, and stops him mid rounds. (I am not including the totally out of shape version of Buster that lost to Holyfield)

Sangria, Saad54, Flash24 and 2 others like this.
  7. janitor

janitor VIP Member Full Member

Feb 15, 2006
    Wilder's knockout artist credentials fall off a bit when he is fighting somebody in the top ten.

Sangria, Flash24, Fergy and 2 others like this.
  8. George Crowcroft

George Crowcroft Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 3, 2019
    True his only real top opponents both made the distance and Ortiz had him drooling by the end of the 7th

Fergy likes this.
  9. roughdiamond

roughdiamond Ridin' the rails... Full Member

Jul 25, 2015
    He beats him. Do not be surprised if he finishes what Ortiz couldn't, and stops him.

BCS8, Fergy and Sting like a bean like this.
  10. Glass City Cobra

Glass City Cobra H2H Burger King Full Member

Jan 6, 2017
    If an obese coke head like fury coming off a layoff can go the distance with wilder then certainly a motivated in shape buster Douglas could at the very least win a decision.

Wilder doesn't have 1/4 of a young tyson's ring iq or technique, nor is he as good of a finisher. I'd only be concerned if the inevitable knockdown occurs early (rounds 1-3) and wilder pounces on him before Douglas can find his rhythm. Outside of that, wilder would be given a humiliating boxing lesson--gasping for air while swinging for the fences.

The much more focused wilder of the brezeale fight would be intereting. Too bad it ended in just 1 round, he seems to be very critical of himself for his prior performance and wants to improve. We'll just have to wait and see.

Fergy and Smokin Bert like this.
  11. Richmondpete

Richmondpete Real fighters do road work Full Member

Oct 22, 2015
    Buster douglas lost to Jesse furguson.

12. ray fritz

ray fritz Active Member Full Member

Nov 4, 2018
    Wilder has da power

13. JohnThomas1

JohnThomas1 VIP Member Full Member

Apr 27, 2005
    Douglas would have a good chance of stopping him. He certainly hits harder than Fury and for me was a better boxer on the rare occasion he was on.

Wilder certainly has a punchers chance here tho i reckon.

Fergy likes this.
  14. Fergy

Fergy Walking Dead Full Member

Jan 8, 2017
    True ,he did . And a couple of other losses on his record , but we have to take his very best performance and see how good and capable he was .
    And just my opinion , but im sure he'd have a great shot at beating Wilder of the Fury fight .

15. ETM

ETM I thought I did enough to win. Full Member

Mar 19, 2012
    True but that equalizer could end the fight quickly. Buster had awesome ability agility coordination everything you want in heavyweight. problem for me is I can't get that image of him quitting is Tony Tucker out of my mind. Probably wouldn't most pathetic displays by boxer I seen. Douglas was out boxing Tony Tucker only to give it off off of one decent right hand he took. He just didn't care.

I think Wilder would do the same thing he did against Fury. Behind on points land a big punch and put Douglas down. The difference being Buster won't get up