How would history view Norton and Frazier if they never beat Ali?

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by NewChallenger, Jan 24, 2023.

1. The Long Count

The Long Count Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 8, 2013
    Frazier would still be in the hall of fame. And viewed as a great. Norton would not. Without Ali trilogy his career would look more like an alphabet champ of the 80s say a pinklon Thomas or Trevor Berbick type

2. Rollin

Rollin Active Member Full Member

Nov 17, 2021
    Norton tried to Frazier through Ali that night. His corner managed to get him to shake it off and use proven tactics. Futch said so, and I'm with him on this one.

Polls are a number of anonymous votes. If you ask whether Canelo-Golovkin III was in 12-0/10-2 range, majority will likely say yes. As populum fallacy unless scorecards are actually posted with some degree of insight.

IIRC I had Ali winning the first 3-4 rounds, Norton evening out, and then hectic last four rounds during which I could see somebody scoring for either man. I wouldn't raise an eyebrow if somebody scores the bout for Ali.

3. Bokaj

Bokaj Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jan 4, 2008
    It's hard to say. We know that he was good enough to beat a good amount of the contenders out there, but that others, like Shavers, would blow him out, so it depends a bit on the order he gets to face them in.

Fergy likes this.
  4. cuchulain

cuchulain Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jan 6, 2007
    Nah, I have him in the seven to nine range.

Without the FOTC, I'd drop him ten or so places.