How would Sonny Liston have done in the 1990s? Would boxers be able to handle him?

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by mark ant, Feb 2, 2019.

1. Gatekeeper

Gatekeeper Well-Known Member Full Member

Oct 18, 2009
    OP : Difficult question how Liston would do against the HW's of the 90's because when you go back and look at his resume it basically consists of journeymen, LHW's, getting schooled by Ali and good wins over Cleveland Williams. That's not a lot to go on really, the footage I've seen of him he clearly has absolutely huge power, good jab, not particularly fast and fairly easy to hit. But for what it's worth I'll give it a shot -

He flattens Moorer, Morrison and Bruno

Bowe and Holyfield are 50/50's

Loses to Lewis although LL would have to be 100% focused and prepared

Probably beats Foreman

Tyson would be an absolute war, I'd favour Mike

InMemoryofJakeLamotta likes this.
  2. InMemoryofJakeLamotta

InMemoryofJakeLamotta I have defeated the great Seamus Full Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Tyson wasn't firing on all cylinders that night. The Tyson who beat Ruddock would have gave Liston all he could handle. He'd also probably have a war with Ray Mercer.

3. InMemoryofJakeLamotta

InMemoryofJakeLamotta I have defeated the great Seamus Full Member

Sep 21, 2017
    He did hurt Holyfield but to stop Holyfield, one would have to land often and repeatedly.

4. Jackomano

Jackomano Boxing Junkie Full Member

Nov 22, 2014
    A Prime Holyfield from the early 90's beats him.

Bowe (under 230), Buster Douglas (Tyson fight), Alex Stewart, Chris Byrd, and Larry Holmes, Lennox (late 90's), and Michael Moorer might beat him.

5. KernowWarrior

KernowWarrior Bob Fitzsimmons much bigger brother. Full Member

Jul 12, 2012
    Well i feel sure he would not labour for two years as number one contender as he did prior to winning the title from Patterson.

Liston would have been a dream fighter for the publicity men to promote in the 90s, as he was a genuine 'badboy' in his prefight life.