How would the ATGs fare in today;s boxing world if they maintained their old school boxing training?

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by drronnie, Dec 6, 2019.

1. drronnie

drronnie Member Full Member

Oct 8, 2019
    I see some posters thinking that the new training methods and nutrition would make the boxers stronger compared to their counterparts from the 80 or 90s. So I wanted to get some idea if a prime Pernell Whitaker for example were to be time travelled to the present and if he were to match up with contemporary lightweight and welterweight champions like Gervonta Davis.

2. Bukkake

Bukkake Boxing Addict Full Member

Apr 20, 2010
    Sure a great fighter like Whitaker would be able to hold his own (at least) today. He's fairly recent, and as "modern" as today's boxers. It's not like he's some old-timer, belonging to a different era.

George Crowcroft likes this.
  3. The Morlocks

The Morlocks Boxing Junkie Full Member

Nov 21, 2009
    Better than today's fighters. Are you 12?

Last edited: Dec 6, 2019
  4. George Crowcroft

George Crowcroft Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 3, 2019
  5. Cecil

Cecil Boxing Addict Full Member

Mar 22, 2015
    I’m not a technical expert, many on here have forgotten more than I know.
    I just don’t believe generally speaking fighters today are more skilled and accomplished than their predecessors certainly of the seventies and eighties.
    I just don’t see it, but maybe I’m not knowledgable enough on the subject.

6. roughdiamond

roughdiamond Ridin' the rails... Full Member

Jul 25, 2015
    To be honest, there is no 'old school training' (I know what you mean). Boxing training has pretty much been universal since at least the 1890s. New fads and topics come and go, usually with their own usefulness (from dynamic tension, isometrics and muscle control to modern strength and conditioning programs and rehabilitation).

Guess what? If you don't focus on your boxing and cardio, you will lose. That applies to any era.

7. robert ungurean

robert ungurean Богдан Philadelphia Full Member

Jun 9, 2007
    Seems to me like per say a Salvidor Sanchez who could go 15 rds without breathing hard ..not having his punch output drop all without one of these BS strength and conditioning coaches would clean up. IMO

Last edited: Dec 6, 2019
  8. ThePainMan

ThePainMan Member banned Full Member

Nov 23, 2019
    Well the younger generation of people are pretty brain dead. Wladimir Klitschko for example turned pro in the 90's. Was beaten by guys who turned pro in the 80's, 90's, and early 2000's and Wlad was champ up until a few years ago. If anything boxers from the 70's, 80's, 90's, early 2000's were in much better shape and had much more skilled than the typical current fighter.

drronnie likes this.