How would Tyson react to Ali's trash talk?

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Melankomas, Jan 28, 2023.

1. Melankomas

Melankomas Prime Jeffries would demolish a grizzly in 2 Full Member

Dec 18, 2022
    Ali is unquestionably one of the greatest trash talkers ever. He was creative, charismatic and downright vile at times. How would a prime Tyson react to Ali's trash talk?

2. RulesMakeItInteresting

RulesMakeItInteresting Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 23, 2019
    I think it depends on how long the fight goes. Mike is going to get pretty discouraged if Ali stays on his feet (or better) for round after round, plus if Ali does his typical constant haranguing I think Mike would get very messed up mentally.

I see Mike becoming overly cautious when Ali makes it to round 6 (and is still scoring with jabs and at times lead rights). Ali's verbal abuse will make him ultimately hesitant to pull the trigger, or even to effectively swarm him after 7 or 8. Ali's pushing his head down constantly (even more than Lewis) would drain him. It wouldn't go 10 rounds.

Entaowed likes this.
  3. JohnThomas1

JohnThomas1 VIP Member Full Member

Apr 27, 2005
    I think he's talking pre bout as well, maybe even more so. I could be wrong too. Ali would sure dish it out at him in the lead up tho.

4. Melankomas

Melankomas Prime Jeffries would demolish a grizzly in 2 Full Member

Dec 18, 2022
    Yeah I meant pre-fight as well as during the fight. I can see Ali getting to Mike.

5. Pugguy

Pugguy Boxing Junkie Full Member

Aug 22, 2021
    I thought same also. I think it would get to him- Ali certainly knew which buttons to press and he put a lot of work into psychological warfare - particularly against opponents who presented a legit threat.

IMO, he reaped the benefits against Liston and to a greater extent Foreman. One primary objective was to get them very steamed and off their usual, calmer game - though Mike was often, already pretty steamed anyway. Lol.

6. Rope-a-Dope

Rope-a-Dope Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jan 20, 2015
    A more even-tempered fighter like Emile Griffith became more dangerous, deadly even, when mocked.

A guy like Tyson though, I'd expect him to get sloppy and frustrated and play right into Ali's plan.

Reinhardt and Pugguy like this.
  7. Fergy

Fergy Walking Dead Full Member

Jan 8, 2017
    It could turn a little nasty, remember Ali could get under people's skin, so it's a two way thing.
    Anything Tyson says, well Ali s gonna come back at him ten fold.

Pugguy likes this.
  8. Pugguy

Aug 22, 2021
    Yeah, Ali’s strategies weren’t for everyone - brilliant but still very much anchored in the man’s insane courage.

Just after the fight in Zaire - Ali said “I just let George blast his a** off and prayed he’d keep throwin’ “. Sounds like a good idea, NOT. Lol.

Not for everyone and certainly should always come with due warning of “do not try this at home”.

Fergy likes this.
  9. Pugguy

Aug 22, 2021
    Yeah Ferg, even in Champions Are Forever, Ali had coined the label “Kong” for Tyson. Long retired but still playing the psychological games, lol. Lord knows what he would’ve come up heading into an actual match with Mike.

Fergy likes this.
  10. Fergy

Fergy Walking Dead Full Member

Jan 8, 2017
    Lol. I'd forgotten about that Pug.
    That was around the time when Tyson was at his best and people were thinking, only Ali could beat him!!
    Oh yes, he never lost it really, did Ali.

Pugguy likes this.
  11. Journeyman92

Journeyman92 I’m become seeker of milk Full Member

Sep 22, 2021
    I think you have mistook charisma for meaning a demeaning toss. Ali ran his mouth like a wrestler- Tyson grew up watching wrestling I don't think his PG13 antics will bother Tyson who grew up in a brutal ghetto- Not in the slightest. I actually think Ali would be the one getting annoyed if anything- He lost his cool hard against Oscar (Probably overacting) but the illegal stoppage makes me think there was some maliciousness to it.

White Bomber likes this.
  12. jabber74

jabber74 Active Member Full Member

Oct 5, 2012
    I think the 80's Tyson would be himself as he was in those days, I don't see him losing control of himself because of Ali's antics.

White Bomber likes this.
  13. janitor

janitor VIP Member Full Member

Feb 15, 2006
    Ali would call him the bulldog.

14. RulesMakeItInteresting

RulesMakeItInteresting Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 23, 2019
    Great point.

I keep thinking about how Mike could even get a bit discouraged with little or no trash talk. Holyfield in the first pre-fight was very gracious (while humbly confident) to the promoters and Mike. When it was Mike's turn to speak he did his usual ugly snarling. Holyfield just sat with his hands folded patiently, nodding his head. Mike kept looking at him, waiting for a reaction...not seeing what he wanted (fear, indignation) his face changed.

Salty Dog and Pugguy like this.
  15. ThatOne

ThatOne Boxing Addict Full Member

Jan 13, 2022
    THe racial stuff wasn't funny but most of Ali's taunting was creative like bringing carrots to Floyd's camp or his bear hunting campaign. Google it. I find nothing creative or funny in Tyson telling his opponents he would make him his girlfriends. I wonder if he regrets it.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2023