How's A Tommy Hearns V Henry Armstrong Fight Go, At Welter?

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Fergy, May 29, 2023.

Who wins??

1. Hearns

84.2%
  2. Armstrong

15.8%
  1. Fergy

Fergy Walking Dead Full Member

Jan 8, 2017
    Would Armstrong s swarming style prove Hearns downfall?.
    I think Hanks got a real chance, if he can get inside the reach of Tommy, but it's a dicey one for him.
    15 rounds to decide.

Levook likes this.
  2. Austinboxing

Austinboxing British Boxing fan Full Member

Jul 8, 2021
    Armstrong is at his natural weight here whilst Hearns will be a little drained if we’re taking his prime version. I think Armstrong gets a decision here but he is at risk of getting KO’d.

Levook and Fergy like this.
  3. Fergy

Fergy Walking Dead Full Member

Jan 8, 2017
    Your right, it's a dangerous fight with Henry s style, coming forward. I don't actually rule out a late, come from behind ko of Hearns actually.
    He could replicate the final rounds of SRL swarming and attacking Tommy.
    Not an easy fight to call tho imo.

Levook and Austinboxing like this.
  4. Jel

Jel Obsessive list maker Full Member

Oct 20, 2017
    I just think Hearns has too many physical advantages here. No doubt that Armstrong is the greater fighter overall but there are only a few fighters I’d pick over Hearns at welter and Hank isn’t one of them.

5. Dynamicpuncher

Dynamicpuncher Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jan 14, 2022
    Agreed with @Jel Armstrong is the greater fighter but much like Duran who fought Hearns. He would have too many physical advantages over Armstrong, I can't favour Armstrong in this match up personally.

Levook, Flash24 and Jel like this.
  6. Flash24

Flash24 Boxing Addict Full Member

Oct 22, 2015
    Hearns was 6'1" in comparison to Armstrongs 5'5" . Hearns reach was 78" inches , in comparison to Armstrong's 67" almost a full foot longer.
    Hearns had a wicked left jab , fast, powerful, and educated, that set up a dynamite right hand, possibly the hardest single punch from welterweight to Lt.heavy.
    Armstrong was a attrition puncher, especially at welterweight and above, his game was to smother his opponents, getting in close, wear them out with his superhuman endurance and slick defense were his offense, provided his defense.
    This hypothetical fight would end like Hearns vs Duran .
    Unlike fighters like Robinson and Leonard, who were taller than the vast majority of welterweights , could match Hearns speed and boxing skills, and were well above average punchers in their own right , Armstrong had none of those advantages.
    This fight would end in disaster for Armstrong, with him being counted out for the full 10.
    Hearns is all wrong for Armstrong.
    Armstrong though is the greater fight historically.

7. InMemoryofJakeLamotta

InMemoryofJakeLamotta I have defeated the great Seamus Full Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Hearns would spark him cold.

northpaw likes this.
  8. northpaw

northpaw Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jun 5, 2010
    Hearns by ko, a short outsized swarmer against a swift boxer puncher would be disastrous for Hank. Imagine how many times Hearns would clip him attempting to come in. And he'd have no choice but to try to come in because there's no way that he could win on the outside (no one can beat Hearns on the outside).

InMemoryofJakeLamotta likes this.
  9. Glass City Cobra

Glass City Cobra H2H Burger King Full Member

Jan 6, 2017
    At best, Armstrong gives a good account of himself going the distance but is extremely frustrated by the clash of styles and insurmountable height/reach problems. At worst, Hearns picks him apart and stops him by the midway point. You can't beat a tall master class boxer with an ATG jab with this sort of bum rushing style and such a small body.

InMemoryofJakeLamotta likes this.