Hrgovic's path for a world title.

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by Mendoza, Nov 8, 2020.

1. Mendoza

Mendoza Hrgovic = Next Heavyweight champion of the world. banned Full Member

Jun 29, 2007
    Shortly summed up

Joshua has been champion since 2015. Fury lineal since 2015 as well. If I were to telling there would be no fight between then in 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019 and 2020 you'd laugh. Yet here we are. IT takes two side to make a deal, that is the problem. One side doesn't want it, perhaps both,

Fury he's been fighting no names since 2018. Schwartz, Wallin, and now Kaybel. Before that Pianeta and Seferi. Terrible competition for the lineal heavyweight champion of the world. Not one of these guys was close to being ranked in the top ten. Are you going to defend these picks?

To clarify I do not think Fury is afraid of Joshua in a pure boxing sense. He's does not want to lose gravy train.

@ Furious, On the topic of money, Fury vs Joshua would have made more mounty than Fury vs. Schwartz, Wallin, Kaybel,Pianeta and Seferi. Don't you agree?

2. Malph

Malph Well-Known Member Full Member

Mar 31, 2007
    Hrgovic has been fighting punching bags. His management team is not doing him any favors.

In order to develop as a boxer, he really needs to step up in competition and fight guys who can hurt him. Guys that can move. .... Guys with skills.

From what I've seen, his defense is suspect. He compensates by having a hard head.

That won't work against the top level guys. He needs to sort that out and become the best boxer he can be before taking on the A listers.

Just my opinion.

captain hook likes this.
  3. Mendoza

Mendoza Hrgovic = Next Heavyweight champion of the world. banned Full Member

Jun 29, 2007
    Guys on the way up fight these type of opponents, but for 12 pro fights I think he's ahead of the game for opposition level beaten. Not that Booker was any good, at least Hrgovic was the first man to stop him. He needed to go past 3 rounds. That one went 5.

His management and Hrgovic's himself is calling out the division now. He's ready. He was some defense and you'll see it if needed. This includes a good guard and a quick step back. Most fighters would rather have top chin ( which he has ) than some head movement. Both are sort of rare.

He's an offensive minded guy who has spanked much better in the gym. His offense is confrontational, accurate and with speed and punch variety ( Straight left, hook, body shot, uppercut ) coming at the angles of a 6'6 man with a 82" reach. Sure when you press it your open for a counter. With him he'll land two to take one all day. Fans should like him.

4. McGrain

McGrain Diamond Dog Staff Member

Mar 21, 2007
    I mean in the end, Joshua-Fury is going to be among the richest fights in HW history, or maybe not, but the richest fight that can be offered in lockdown, that's for sure.

There is no question of anyone turning it down. The opposing view is just fantasy.

Furious likes this.
  5. Wizbit1013

Wizbit1013 The Original 101.3 Full Member

Mar 17, 2018
    Guy should fight Bakolie

Turned him down previously but if he is now ready to step up go prove it

Perkin Warbeck and On The Money like this.
  6. Malph

Malph Well-Known Member Full Member

Mar 31, 2007
    Maybe. But it is easier to be offensive minded when fighting human punching bags.

I'd like to see the guy develop as a fighter. Fighting punching bags breeds bad habits.

7. theanatolian

theanatolian Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

May 2, 2015
    I don't see Hrgovic beating an in-form Fury for now. And the IBF mandatory will be due for like 18 months once Joshua defends against Pulev, so Hrgovic should look to get a contender in with him in the meantime.

8. Unforgiven

Unforgiven Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Nov 24, 2005
    Did Hrgovic really turn down Bakole ?

9. On The Money

On The Money Dangerous Journeyman Full Member

Apr 4, 2012
    That kind of opponent last night isn't going to move any dials although to be fair to Booker he is a level above the clown that Ortiz blew away.

10. McGrain

Mar 21, 2007
    It's certainly questionable whether the fighter is even best served by fighting someone like AJ or Fury at this point in his career. He hasn't even met a proper contender yet. What would be right for him would be 2-3 big fights between now and the end of the second AJ-Fury fight.

Andy Ruiz, the loser of Whyte-Povetkin, then the winner of Whyte-Povetkin then a champion would be really good for him, but obviously that's too risky. Hopefully he fights one or two of them though.

Malph likes this.
  11. McGrain

Mar 21, 2007
    Well Bakole definitely didn't turn it down from what I picked up, though I only gave it a passing look. Billy Nelson was desperate to make that fight. But how serious it was, whether it was ever a thing outside of Twitter, I don't know tbh.

Hrgovic certainly could have fought him if he wanted to.

Wizbit1013 and Unforgiven like this.
  12. Furious

Furious Active Member Full Member

Nov 2, 2017
    Fury was out of boxing until the end of 2017 - so saying 2015 is redundant. The bloke had to lose 10 stone of weight, of course you can forgive him Seferi and Pianeta. No one had any idea whether he was any good anymore.

Schwartz and Wallin were obviously supposed to be easy fights to indroduce him to the US audience. It then makes the Wilder fight bigger and then if he wins he is in a far stronger position to demand a bigger purse from the Joshua fight. All of that worked - and he's now able to demand basically a 50/50 split in that fight. Not a chance he'd have got that before.

I don't really understand what your point is here - even an idiot can understand how and why the timeline is what it is. If it wasn't for Covid it's possible Fury and Joshua might be fighting in December. There's no chance a big fight like that happens with no crowd - makes no commercial sense.

Loudon, dinovelvet and McGrain like this.
  13. McGrain

Mar 21, 2007
    Most of all, if Fury fights AJ next year, this bull**** is utterly academic. Tyson Fury is going to fight someone underqualified now and the forum will go bat****. But if he fights AJ next year it's:

Wilder
    Underqualified
    AJ
    AJ.

Which forgives literally any and all ills in prior matchmaking. That would be a crazy run of fights.

Wizbit1013, Loudon and Furious like this.
  14. Brighton bomber

Brighton bomber Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Apr 4, 2005
    You're either trolling or drunk or simply don't follow the sport.

Joshua wasn't champion since 2015, he beat Martin in 2016 for the IBF belt, the IBF belt that was vacated by Fury who 2 months later would be suspended by UKAD for doping offences. So no way Joshua and Fury could have fought with Fury suspended and even if Fury wasn't suspended Joshua as part of the Martin deal had given 2 options to Haymon which is why his first 2 defences were against Haymon fighters in Breazeale and Molina, so he was tied up for all of 2016 as was Fury.

2017 Fury was still suspended so no chance of the fight with Joshua happening then.

2018 Fury mad his return, yes he fought 2 nobodies but he was clearly not ready to jump right back into a title shot. Eddie Hearn himself said Fury would need to fight a name opponent before getting a shot at Joshua which is why Fury refused to sign with Hearn and Matchroom according to Hearn. Joshua in the mean time fought twice one a unification fight vs Parker before Fury's return and the other a mandatory vs Povetkin which even if both Fury and Joshua wanted the fight they couldn't make the fight happen without getting the WBA to agree to allow a delay in the mandatory.

Maybe they could of fought in late 2018 but Hearn stipulation that Fury fight a name opponent first to build a Joshua fight and show he wasn't washed up nixed that idea. Hearn and Joshua didn't want to be seen cherry picking Fury early in his comeback before he proved himself, Wilder of course jumped at the chance for an easy win and we all know how that went.

2019 Fury is obligated to rematch Wilder and they waste months trying to make that happen only to see Fury sign a deal with ESPN. Joshua in the meantime loses his belt to Ruiz and his focus for the whole year isn't Fury but to regain his belts. Maybe the fight could of happened before Joshua lost his belts in the first half of 2019 but he didn't want Fury as he had no belts, he wanted Wilder who turned down that crazy DAZN deal and so fought Ruiz instead.

2020 Fury/Wilder rematch is signed, world goes into lockdown, so neither Fury or Joshua fight.

So reality is there has been little opportunity for them to fight each other. Maybe Joshua should of cherry picked Fury and save Wilder from needing the judges to save him, maybe Joshua could of decided not to try becoming undisputed and fought Fury instead at the start of 2019 but if he had, he'd of been criticised at the time for taking the fights.

Oddone, JohnThomas1, Loudon and 3 others like this.
  15. MorvidusStyle

MorvidusStyle Active Member Full Member

Jul 11, 2017
    This guy needs to get a move on if he's truly a special fighter. He's 28 and who has he fought? Fury fought Wlad at 26 or whatnot and had been calling him out for years before then. He'd already fought Chisora, Johnson, Cunningham, good fighters at the stage he fought them. Even Joshua was ahead of this guy.

I don't pretend to know the details, but that boy servant of Whyte was calling him out. Now, maybe he should have just fought that croat and smashed him to pieces in London because the guy had some hype. So then you get some fans and maybe some opportunities on a big card with a bigger name. Better than these random journos. I get the feeling some of these fighters don't really want the big fighters, though. Happy to take it very slow. Because Fury was taunting and calling the Klitschkos out from early times, he did seem to believe he could win.