Hughie Fury is an extremely slender HW

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by lepinthehood, Aug 12, 2019.

1. POTUS

POTUS Boxing Addict Full Member

Nov 26, 2016
    At 200 I got hughie as Champion :)

2. Serge

Serge Ginger Dracula Staff Member

Jul 21, 2009
    This is something which I've been talking about for a few years now. He was 234½ for his pro debut and he weighed between 230 and 247 for his first 15 fights. Then he dropped down to 217½ for his 16th fight, shot back up to to 231 for his next fight, came in between 229-236 for his next 7, then dropped down to 221 and then 218½ for his last fight (against Peter). He needs to come in no lower than 230 IMO.

Here he is allegedly weighing 247

This content is protected

Hrgovic is another one who I feel should be coming in a bit heavier than he does. According to Boxrec, he's fluctuated between 223 and 233 but I feel he should be coming in no lighter than the later. Boxrec has him weighing 225 for his last fight but he was announced as weighing 242 at the weigh in and he did look bigger than usual to me on fight night. Maybe my mind is playing tricks on me, though lol. Hrgovic does still look strong and healthy even at 223, whereas Hughie, as you say, just looks noodle-armed and a bit puny when he comes in light.

POTUS likes this.
  3. Angler Andrew

Angler Andrew Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jun 28, 2016
    Who's looking after this guys career,needs to stay clear of anyone decent for at least another few fights.

POTUS likes this.
  4. greenhornet

greenhornet Boxing Addict Full Member

Nov 14, 2016
    he already got popped for peds once.

5. lepinthehood

lepinthehood When I'm drinking you leave me well alone Full Member

Aug 27, 2011
    And that's why fury can barely get rid of a shot to **** Samuel Peter........

6. lepinthehood

lepinthehood When I'm drinking you leave me well alone Full Member

Aug 27, 2011
    Fury has no functional strength, he needs to develop some soon or be completely battered by his late 20s.

7. MorvidusStyle

MorvidusStyle Well-Known Member Full Member

Jul 11, 2017
    Maybe they should have started him at cruiser in the pros and then possibly moved up to HW when he was mid to late 20s if it was viable. The other option is to put him in with Parker,Pulev, Povetkin when he is still early 20s and clearly not 'well built' for his age, also losing some gains with weird health problems. But who are we to judge the genius that is Uncle Meth.

8. Spud Head

Spud Head Member banned Full Member

Aug 12, 2019
    lol, this reminds me of a friend of mine, a wild Galway man. When we were kids he would lie on his back at breakfast time and pour his rice crispies and milk in to his weirdly concave chest, not spilling a drop, he done it that often he made it look normal..Even cellotaped a pair of socks to fill it out, when the wind blew it was a problem though tbf, girls thought it was disgusting

Deew and lepinthehood like this.
  9. Spud Head

Spud Head Member banned Full Member

Aug 12, 2019
    One strategy he needs to bin is not throwing shots, his tank should be better than anyones, he should be able to let his hands go far more than your average Heavy..To many cute moves blagging the public

10. It's Ovah

It's Ovah I'm your huckleberry, that's just mah game Full Member

Sep 5, 2016
    Wilder is 6' 7" and weighed 209lbs against Fury. He's considered by many to be the hardest puncher in the game right now. Weight isn't an issue with Hughie so much as punching technique and mentality in the ring. His jab is little more than a touch, no follow through, and his power punches are mostly pushed arm shots, sometimes delivered with poor technique. Bulking up to 240 or whatever isn't going to resolve that.

Unforgiven likes this.
  11. BitPlayerVesti

BitPlayerVesti Boxing Drunkie Full Member

Oct 28, 2017
    He could bulk and roid up to 270Ibs and he'd still not be a puncher. He just doesn't have natural power and his punching technique is flawed on top.

A bit of strength could help in the clinches, but he's really going to have to win by moving and outlanding. I think he's better trying to improve punching volume than punching power, other than maybe a bit of a technical tweak.

12. Felix Sanchez

Felix Sanchez Active Member Full Member

Mar 5, 2006
    Still can't believe they have put him in with Povetkin, an awful match up for him. No power to keep him off, and how is he going to win rounds by throwing his 4 shots per round.

UnleashtheFURY likes this.
  13. Furious

Furious Boxing Addict Full Member

Nov 2, 2017
    Think lots of this is true - I remember when Tyson trained with Peter, the training looked very old school. S&C was done with very poor form, I remember a video of Tyson deadlifting a lot of weight with horrible form - my back felt injured just by looking at it!

Deew, Aydamn and UnleashtheFURY like this.
  14. UnleashtheFURY

UnleashtheFURY D'oh! Full Member

Sep 29, 2012
    Wilder has a lot of lean muscle though. Sure a lot of Furys problems with power are down to how he boxes and the fact he doesn't sit down on his punches much it's clear as day to see that the guy is extremely physically weak for a HW of his size and that definitely has some impact on his lack of power.

15. reckless

reckless Active Member Full Member

Mar 18, 2018
    Bulk can help a fighter. Lennox Lewis was more dominant at 245lbs than he was at 235lbs. Holyfield was also better at 215lbs than at 205lbs.

Added bulk can improve your punch resistance, even if some of it fat.

I don't think Ruiz would have beaten Joshua if he weighed 220lbs.

Positive energy and lepinthehood like this.