Hughie Fury is NOT cut out for this game

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by notjustacasual, Aug 31, 2019.

1. TBC-ASAP

TBC-ASAP Boxing Junkie Full Member

Sep 7, 2017
    This content is protected

Can someone send me the replay to fight these lads watched

MooMan likes this.
  2. MCFC_EW

MCFC_EW Active Member Full Member

Jul 4, 2014
    Fully expecting him to be in with Lucas Browne next time out.

305th likes this.
  3. BXNG101

BXNG101 Active Member Full Member

Jun 9, 2018
    Fat Mick is so embarrassing.

4. emallini

emallini Boxing Junkie banned Full Member

Mar 16, 2008
    “We’ve been working a lot on the backhand but when he stepped up he can’t pull the trigger,” Peter discussed.

“At British and domestic level he can pull the trigger. When he’s up on the world level he can’t. Reassessing it he is an original left handed guy so I think he needs to have a look at it. He needs to work on the other side because he’s always boxed in the amateurs as an orthodox, and really he’s left handed and I think it’s come to the stage in his career where he really needs to look at that because the only time he had success with both hands, with Povetkin, was when he switched up on the inside and that was very few and far between.

“I’m happy with the performance (against Povetkin), he ticked a lot of boxes. Hughie’s had three fights where he’s had three losses but it’s not as if the guys have beat him up. Hughie’s only losing the fights because of what he’s not doing, not what the other guy is doing in front of him. He’s got a terrific future and there’s one thing we do know; he’ll fight anybody and he’s got a terrific chin. He’s probably got one of the best chins in heavyweight boxing.”

5. Scissors

Scissors Posts are sponsored by Matchroom Full Member

Feb 11, 2018
    That last paragraph is spot on.

He hasn’t been beat up and after all 3 fights we were talking about what Fury lacked as opposed to him being schooled or whatever.

I do think it’s a bit late to start changing to a permanent southpaw though.

DavidJames and emallini like this.
  6. Twentyman

Twentyman You dog nonce! banned Full Member

Apr 20, 2016
    To this day I do not understand the logic behind Hughie and Tyson fighting predominantly in the orthodox stance.

zulander and Scissors like this.
  7. First Round KO

First Round KO Well-Known Member Full Member

Sep 14, 2013
    Tyson's dad Gypsy John was crap as well.

8. im sparticus

im sparticus There Ye Go. Full Member

May 16, 2010
    All I can think of is that there future was always in the pro ranks, prizefighting.
    Maybe they thought the opportunity would be less as a southpaw. If you are looking at 2 opponents both around the same skill level but If the only thing separating them is ones a lefty & the others a right. The orthodox fighter, in that situation will choose the orthodox opponent(All other things been equal). That's the best reason I could give. " They'll get more opportunitys"

Twentyman likes this.
  9. Twentyman

Twentyman You dog nonce! banned Full Member

Apr 20, 2016
    That’s interesting and does make sense. Technically, I suppose it would also help with your awkwardness/versatility if you could switch, but Hughie hardly ever switches. Completely the other way, I believe Loma is naturally right handed.

10. im sparticus

im sparticus There Ye Go. Full Member

May 16, 2010
    Yes loma is right handed. The Cuban national team are notorious for having their amateurs fight southpaw even though most are right handed.
    Tyson switches well I do agree but like you said, Hughie doesn't switch very much. It's all a bit puzzling.

11. delboy82

delboy82 Boxing Addict Full Member

Feb 18, 2014
    another thread suggesting that if a boxer isnt world level he shouldnt bother fighting ......... zzzzzzzzzzzzz

emallini and Twentyman like this.
  12. Trafford

Trafford Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 29, 2018
    To be honest if I was him I would focus on a true strength and conditioning program and get myself down to cruiser. Could easily see him getting a world title in that division given that there’s rumours of Briedis moving up if he wins the WBSS.

Would be a massive cruiser and 3 fights next year against the likes of Masternak and Lerena and Gevor would likely bring a world title.

Then a unification with Okolie would be a big fight. He could then move up with his reputation greatly improved and bigger paydays.

The way things are going he will be a journeyman with a couple more losses on his record. Just don’t think they have the right attitude or graft to think about his long term career prospects The way things are going. Something definitely needs to change

delboy82 likes this.
  13. delboy82

delboy82 Boxing Addict Full Member

Feb 18, 2014
    If he can confortably get down to cruiser and looking at his body i think he could he would be a far bigger threat

14. Trafford

Trafford Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 29, 2018
    Agreed. There is definitely a stone he could lose and convert to muscle and he came in at 218 against Peter. Could then drop 4/5 pounds on a cut. Rebuild at cruiser then move back up as a champion and his reputation rebuilt.

He is only 25 but risks becoming very stagnant in the next couple of years without the right fights. Unfortunately I think they are looking for big paydays at the moment.

Camaris likes this.
  15. destruction

destruction Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 26, 2009
    Hughie has never looked like he enjoys boxing or enjoys inflicting pain on his opponents.

He comes across as a kid who is doing something because its expected of him and not because he wants to

He falls short everytime he steps up and will continue to fall short. Moving down to CW isnt going to solve his issues which are mainly mental.