I am a boxing manager: if you have questions about the boxing biz, ask!

Discussion in 'Boxing Training' started by dempsey1234, Dec 31, 2012.

1. dempsey1234

dempsey1234 Boxing Addict Full Member

Jun 25, 2012
    We signed with Peter Berg and Mark Wahlberg, that and the Abel move is to shine a light on Saucedo. Peter Berg is a director, Lone Survivor, and now his new movie, Deep water horizon. That will open doors for Saucedo. These are the moves you have to make, to be successful. It's important to be seen cos the media was there. Saucedo is fighting Ray Serrano, 21-3, at welter on Nov 4th in the semi, in the main my other guy Casey Ramos is fighting Andy Vences and it will be televised on UNIMAS. You are right it shows what Top Rank thinks of him. We met Abel on Monday, and he just watched Alex never said anything. Abel explained that he will only watch before we go up to Big Bear, tomorrow. Abel told us he will know and we will know if they can work together if we like him and he likes Saucedo. He wants to tape the first session and after three weeks we will compare where Alex is and if any improvement. So far all is good, we will see after three weeks. Thanks for the words.

2. Walter Sobchak

Walter Sobchak Spinal! Full Member

Aug 12, 2015
    This has been a great read Dempsey. Brilliant stuff.

3. dempsey1234

Jun 25, 2012
    Thank you

4. Mr.DagoWop

Mr.DagoWop Boxing Junkie banned Full Member

Jul 1, 2015
    How often should a fighter fight in the first two years as a pro? I see these guys who start mid 20s and by the time they are 30 have like 20 fights and aren't at the top of the division.

5. dempsey1234

Jun 25, 2012
    Ideally 6 or 7, the problem alot of times is when you sign a contract with a promoter they usually specify a minimum number of fights usually 3 or 4. For example my guy is 22 and is 22-0, been a pro almost 5yrs so he has an of 4 fights a yr, he has two more fights before the end of the year. Next yr we are looking at 4 to 5 fights. At this rate by the time my guy is 30, figuring 4 fites a yr he will have a total of 32 fights plus the 24 by the end of the yr, he'd have 56 fights and would have at the very least fought for a title. If as in your example the guy is 30, and only has 20 fites there is a major problem with the guy or the promoter, or the guy is not that good.

Mr.DagoWop likes this.
  6. dempsey1234

Jun 25, 2012
    reznick likes this.
  7. Mr.DagoWop

Mr.DagoWop Boxing Junkie banned Full Member

Jul 1, 2015
    Dempsey, would it be cheaper in taxes if a fighter incorporated themselves into an LLC which is treated as a sole proprietorship by the IRS? What kind of taxes do fighters look at that get paid directly?

8. dempsey1234

Jun 25, 2012
    If you INC. yourself, you can write off boxing related expenses. I am not well versed in the legalities, I will ask my lawyer and get back to you. I know there is advantages but let me be sure I dont want you fooling around with the IRS.

Mr.DagoWop likes this.
  9. Boxersgirlfriend

Boxersgirlfriend New Member Full Member

Nov 17, 2016
    Hey! My boyfriend is a professional boxer from Cuba. Hes living in Miami right now, but I'm trying to get him to move here with me in Dallas. Could you recommend some trainers in the area? He's 10-0 and 30 years old.

10. dempsey1234

Jun 25, 2012
    Yeah try the Maple Avenue Gym in Dallas, ask for Jesus Chavez ex 2 time world champ, or look for Derrick James who is Errol Spence's trainer. You can get Derrick's number from the Texas boxing commissions web site.

11. sooners4life98

sooners4life98 Member Full Member

May 10, 2013
    What is going on Demps?! Long time no speak. :) I have moved to Atlanta, GA from OKC. Do you have any recommendations for gyms out this way to scout for talent? And tell Sauce keep up the good work and keep plugging away!

12. dempsey1234

Jun 25, 2012
    IDK if you know saucedo is now training with Abel Sanchez, in fact we are going to be in camp with GGG as he prepares for Danny Jacobs. He fight on Mar 18, Saucedo fights on March 17 both fights in NY. Let me ask about Atl. I dont really know many guys from there, there's not that much pro action from there. Let me ck

KiwiMan likes this.
  13. sooners4life98

sooners4life98 Member Full Member

May 10, 2013
    I didn't know Saucedo was training with Sanchez and in camp with GGG. That is both exciting news! Making Oklahoma proud! Thank for checking down here in the Atl for me. Been snooping around on boxrec past couple of days and I agree, hardly any pro action. Most of these fighters fight out of town a lot from the looks of it. I am still getting used to the place too. Thanks again and Saucedo is going to gain a lot more experience for Sanchez and triple G. And Happy New Year btw!

14. ezzard_charles

ezzard_charles Anonymous Full Member

Oct 16, 2012
    Hey Dempsey, I just had a few questions in regards to co-promotions. What are the typical expenses and revenues splits between the two promotional companies? E.g. 50/50 60/40 etc. Or if the deal is through a co-promotional fee rather than revenue split, what is the usual range for the fee? Which method is more widely practiced, revenue sharing, or paying out flat fees to the co-promoter?
    Also, how do things work when you see a recognized promoter co-promoting with a fighters own promotional company which seems to be more common now days, e.g. DiBella Entertainment in association with Shawn Porter promotions? What are then benefits of boxers having their own promotional company to promote the event?
    Thank you.

15. dempsey1234

Jun 25, 2012
    EC, I cant give you specifics but usually what happens is the parties negotiate what the expenses are and the share of the revenue each will get. A good example is the GGG vs Canelo fight, GGG has K2 promotions, Canelo has his own promotional entity co promoting with GoldenBoy. The lead promoter is GoldenBoy cos they have the power and the money to do the show. Goldenboy and Canelo promotions have to first agree to a split. After GBP and CP agree on each's share of the expenses and revenue. Then they go to K2 promotions and make an offer, which they already have offering 10million for GGG's. Usually the promoter has an assignment clause, for instance K2 who has GGG under a promotional contract has an assignment clause with GGG, whereby if another promoter uses GGG, in this case GBP. The promoter of GGG, K2, is entitled to a share of the The 10million dollar offer for GGG. Usually 80-20 split, the assignment clause spells it out. That means the 10 million is shared between K2 and GGG, if it is 80-20 split, then k2 gets 2 million and GGG gets 8 million.
    The other way the lead promoter gives the co-promoter a flat fee, say $100, out of that 100 they figure they can get the fighter the co-promoter has for 30, as long as the fighter accepts the 30 the promoter can keep 70 for himself. An example the Barrera - Pac fight. HBO paid Pac's promoter 700k, Pac's promoter paid Pac 300k and kept the rest for himself.

KiwiMan likes this.