I am shocked that so few people think that Joshua has a chance at this thing...

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by catchwtboxing, Dec 18, 2020.

1. catchwtboxing

catchwtboxing Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 4, 2014
    Look, I think Fury will win it, but Joshua is a thoroughbred, a proud champ, and he is going to pull out the stops.

I get that there is a contrast in some people's minds between the way Joshua lost to Ruiz, and the way Fury rolled Wilder, but, three points here:

1) It was only two fights back that people thought Fury was finished, and were picking Wilder. A slight majority were saying that Wilder almost got him in the first fight, was going to finish the job, Fury looked like crap against Wallin, Fury just couldn't get his old form back...

2) Fury is great fighter, but the second Wilder fight is his Ali-Williams, Tyson-Berbick, Robinson St Valentine'd say massacre against Lamotta, etc. He might never be that good again, and that is no knock against him, it is just that is how boxing works.

3) Wilder sucks. He may hit a little harder than Joshua, but Joshua does everything else better. Wilder might not even hit harder, since Wilder's power is primarily against bums.

Basically, I am trying to say that this is closer than people think. I expect Fury to win, but it would not surprise me if it went the other way, and I tell you, this is going to be a fight.

Just my opinion.

2. Dubblechin

Dubblechin Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jun 25, 2014
    Obviously, despite the insults heaped on the guy, the vast majority of boxing people and fans don't believe that.

If they did, Fury's win this year wouldn't have been a big deal.

And, it was.

You aren't lauded as the athlete of the year and the boxer of the year and the RING champ if the guy you beat sucks.

Philly161, sasto and JunlongXiFan like this.
  3. catchwtboxing

Jul 4, 2014
    Jesus Christ, dude. The thread is only parenthetically about Wilder. Get off his nuts.

4. Oddone

Oddone Bermane Stiverne's life coach. Full Member

Aug 18, 2019
    I agree with you and for me it’s 70/30 Fury.

Now the reason I believe others see it differently is mainly because AJ got beat by the fat kid from UP (visually speaking as Ruiz has quick hands and a great chin) and then came back timid in Saudi Arabia.

This stays in peoples mind more than him beating Pulev. He supposed to beat Pulev. He wasn’t supposed to lose to Ruiz.

By contrast Fury came out timid in the first Wilder fight (timid only compared to the beast mode Fury of the second fight) content to just outbox a guy who couldn’t box. Fury came back more aggressive and showed he could sit down on his punches and manhandle Wilder.

This stays in peoples mind because it was new and the last Fury they saw.

So the last images in their mind is of A.J. playing it safe and of Fury obliterating Wilders soul.

Thoughts?

5. Dubblechin

Dubblechin Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jun 25, 2014
    Your whole argument is Wilder sucks. You wrote Wilder's name more than you wrote Fury or Joshua's. (LOL) Your three points are all focused on Wilder.

People think Fury will beat Joshua because he beat Wilder.

You think Wilder sucks.

But, clearly, despite all the dumb threads on this board, when push comes to shove, "Wilder sucks" isn't the widespread opinion. Or beating him wouldn't matter much.

And beating him was clearly a big deal.

Don't get mad at me.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2020
    sasto, Decker, NoNeck and 3 others like this.
  6. Kiwi_in_America

Kiwi_in_America The Tuaminator Full Member

Oct 19, 2006
    Joshua has at least a 40% chance of beating Fury.

Don't underestimate the guy....

kiwi_boxer, stormenic and sid like this.
  7. DosserTerminator

DosserTerminator New Member Full Member

Dec 16, 2020
    I think its a stylistic nightmare for AJ if he goes in light and tries to outbox fury he will lose there is no logical way he can win that if he goes in muscular he's still gonna be lighter then Fury and needs to ko him early otherwise fury will exhaust him and stop in around 9 rounds. Combine this with the fact AJ has only ever really fought smaller men except for Klitschko who was ring rusty and old and brezeale who is shite I see nothing but a fury win.

sasto, DoubleJab666 and Decker like this.
  8. catchwtboxing

Jul 4, 2014
    Yeah, I mentioned that I think people are contrasting, but I think it is a bit of a false contrast, because two fights back, people were writing off Fury. These things change quickly.

9. Brighton bomber

Brighton bomber Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Apr 4, 2005
    I agree, while I favour Fury and always have it's not like this is in anyway a mismatch, Fury is the favourite but Joshua is a serious threat anyone thinking otherwise maybe in for a shock. I don't expect Fury to have it all his own way, he's not going to dominate Joshua like he did Wilder he will need to be far more careful and more defensive and will have to ride out the odd moment here and there. I expect Joshua to be a near constant threat throughout.

I think most people realize this but fans talk trash saying it's the best fight out there but also a mismatch lol, which clearly shows some level of contradiction.

deadACE, superman1692 and Wizbit1013 like this.
  10. Unforgiven

Unforgiven VIP Member banned Full Member

Nov 24, 2005
    I think most people give him a decent chance and many of them favour him to win.
    That's why it's such an appealing fight.

To me, I have to give Fury a 60% to 40% advantage.
    I would not be at all surprised if Joshua beats him (IF they fight in 2021). And I am one of those people who ALWAYS reckoned Fury to beat Joshua, if they are both fit.
    Joshua is a real challenge.

Jackomano likes this.
  11. Jackomano

Jackomano Boxing Junkie Full Member

Nov 22, 2014
    People buy into hype too much. The fight could go either way. Also, people read too much into the Fury-Wilder rematch, since having fought Wilder before helped Fury make all the necessary adjustments to beat Wilder in the rematch and it certainly helped that Wilder didn’t make any adjustments from the first fight.

Also, Joshua brings a different type of challenge against Fury than Wilder did and Joshua is more coachable and improving with every fight, so Fury would be a fool to underestimate Joshua.

That said I really would Joshua would take Foreman up on his offer to help him on some of his fundamentals, since Foreman could really polish up Joshua’s footwork and uppercut.

kiwi_boxer and djfonti like this.
  12. Toney F*** U

Toney F*** U Boxing junkie Full Member

Oct 16, 2019
    It’s because Wilder was ridiculously overrated. When you beat someone who’s overrated you become even more overrated.

13. Special one

Special one Active Member Full Member

Mar 20, 2019
    Yeah #WilderSucks let's get this trending...

kiwi_boxer and Leeroy84 like this.
  14. Bokaj

Bokaj Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jan 4, 2008
    My thoughts pretty much.

Ruiz is a very, very different fighter from Fury and Wilder is quite different from AJ, so you shouldn't get hung up too much on those fights.

This will likely be a very different fight to any of those. Wlad-Fury would probably be the most similar one, but I think AJ will study that one closely to try to not fall into the same rytm.

JSpizz likes this.
  15. Bokaj

Bokaj Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jan 4, 2008
    There's a lot of talk of Joshua gassing, but when has Fury ever held a very high pace through 12?

RB1702 likes this.