I don't consider any modern Heavyweight below 6'5'' as a serious threat.

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by Ibn Saud, May 23, 2017.

1. Mendoza

Mendoza Hrgovic = Next Heavyweight champion of the world. banned Full Member

Jun 29, 2007
    I don't think you have to be 6'5" or taller to be the champion at heavyweight ( though the top champions and best amateurs turning pro are ), but it seems the days of 190-210 pound heavies with less than 75" reach are pretty much history.

A shorter guy ( 5'10" to 6'1" ) can win, but he needs top power, a good chin, good will/stamina, and ability to fight up close and quick feet to keep from being zoned.

A tall order, pun intended.

Absolutely! likes this.
  2. Drachenorden

Drachenorden Active Member Full Member

Sep 5, 2016
    Short reach > long reach.

Again, if the weight is the same, the short fighter has the advantage, if he knows how to use them.

The fighter with short reach is going to have faster recoil, better speed, advantage at close range and inside fighting.

3. Drachenorden

Sep 5, 2016
    I think a good short 5'10'' super-HW dirty inside fighter would DESTROY Joshua. Joshua's height and reach would be too much of a disadvantage in such situation and he would grimace in pain as his body would get butchered.

4. Drachenorden

Sep 5, 2016
    Short fighters are the best inside fighters. If a 5 foot 10 stocky short stronger fighter who is good at inside fighting comes close and starts unloading shots what exactly is the tall fighter going to do? Engage? Not a good idea if the tall fighter has much longer arms. Hold? If the shorter fighter is stronger and a dirty inside fighter not a good idea as well.

The problem is that not a lot of trainers know how to develop a good style for short HWs that's why we don't see them as much these days, but don't worry, we will see another Mike Tyson one day!

SluggerBrawler likes this.
  5. Ibn Saud

Ibn Saud New Member banned Full Member

May 23, 2017
    Thats only applicable if the taller fighter neglects his height advantage and allows the shorter fightet to fight him on the inside.

Its an uncomplicated concept. Jap, jap, jap. If the midget tries to get on the inside,target him with an uppercut as he's making his way in and then tie him up immediately. Trust me if the uppercut lands, the shorter fighter will begin to have doubt about his chances. Check the first round of Lewis/Tyson. See how Tyson's approach to the fight completely changed after Lewis caught him with that uppercut.

People blame Lewis and Vladimir for being boring, but that style of fighting was taylor made fir their physique.

SmackDaBum and Gneus7 like this.
  6. lepinthehood

lepinthehood When I'm drinking you leave me well alone banned Full Member

Aug 27, 2011
    when

7. Drachenorden

Sep 5, 2016
    Jabs can be countered by right hands, it's not so easy to just jab a fighter away from you for 12 rounds. Besides, short fighters are used to getting jabbed and would move the head and upper body and wait for vicious counters. Lewis fought a way past his prime Mike Tyson. Also, tall fighters have shitty uppercuts and if they're in the range to fire uppercuts the short fighter is in range to fire counters as well. Lower the hand to fire and uppercut and be ready for some hooks upstairs as counters.

deadACE likes this.
  8. Drachenorden

Sep 5, 2016
    When the time will be right, we will have our messiah in the HW division again. 5 foot 10 superiority, Mike Tyson and Marciano club.

Man in some way I really wish I would have dedicated my life to boxing, I would love to inside-fight Joshua and Wilder and all those other lanky tall fighters. Their bodies are right there to be butchered and I'd be the dirtiest fighter ever if I needed to be.

I really think inside fighting is the cure for these tall super-HWs.

9. lepinthehood

lepinthehood When I'm drinking you leave me well alone banned Full Member

Aug 27, 2011
    you have to be extremely fast, tough and fit. fighting like mike tyson with constant bobbing and dipping and throwing huge punches is very very taxing on the body.

10. Drachenorden

Sep 5, 2016
    I would fight more like Ward.

11. Reinhardt

Reinhardt Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 4, 2016

No, I'd roll Joe Frazier up and throw him on any Klitscho or Joshua today and watch him chop them down.

Nay_Sayer likes this.
  12. jm2729v

jm2729v Active Member Full Member

Jun 15, 2016
    Being the shorter fighter has its own benefits. TBH a boxing fight is almost impossible to predict unless there's huge different in TALENT. A truly TALENTED boxer, even if they're short will look for the weakness in a taller fighter and find a way to win. There is always a weakness.

13. miniq

miniq Oleksandr Usyk Undisputed HW Champion Full Member

Oct 23, 2011
    >6'4"
    >220lb

As mentioned unless you have supreme talent you ain't getting past Fury, AJ or OAP Wlad. Superheavyweights.

AJ & Fury could rule for the next 5 years easily if they dedicate themselves..Fury might be able to dedicate himself to a couple of fights against AJ.

14. SmackDaBum

SmackDaBum TKO7 banned Full Member

Nov 22, 2014
    Height is good.

Weight is way more important.

Stats dont lie.

15. DoubleJab666

DoubleJab666 Dot, dot, dot... Full Member

Nov 9, 2015
    This is a tall story...

Mr Icaman likes this.