I don't like what I saw from GGG

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by KillSomething, Sep 10, 2016.

1. KillSomething

KillSomething Boxing Junkie Full Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Either GGG was sick, regressing stylistically, or Brook is AMAZING.

I got the impression that GGG was sick. His demeanor was noticeably different in the buildup, and in the fight his timing was off and he didn't even try to fight smart. It looked to me like either he couldn't get himself going or he was trying to just walk through Brook and get him to gas out. I was expecting the strategy to involve outboxing Brook while taking some shots to look human for Saunders and using the jab to carry the fight into the final third before turning on the beatdown. This would serve to sharpen up the boxing skills to prepare for boxers like Saunders and Jacobs while also enticing them to take the fight. Instead it looked like GGG decided to just walk through the punches and club Brook down to get it over with quickly, hence my a-ssumption that he was, in fact, sick and looking to get out of there. But if this is how he intends to fight now, I don't see him having any success at 168 where he'd be at a huge size disadvantage.

But Brook also looked extremely sharp. So much so that I wonder if making 147 was taking a lot out of him. Let's not forget...Brook was probably the heavier man in the ring, and he was not carrying extra body fat. He's a very solid size even for 154. He can't have gained that much muscle either: He weighed in at 147 just 24 weeks ago. Now, a person who has never lifted before can gain no more than 0.5lb of muscle per week for a year. The next year, they can only gain 0.25lb per week. And it goes down from there (26lb in year one, 13lb in year two, 6.5lb in year three, etc.). This a-ssumes the person follows a bodybuilding style of training and does everything perfectly. This means that Brook could not possibly have put on more than 3-6lb of muscle between fights (of course, PED use can allow much different results). I wouldn't be surprised if Brook was coming into fights at 147 weighing every bit of 167. He might be a real monster at 154 with less weight cutting.

I need to see both guys in with real challenges next time out to make sense of this fight. Brook vs. J-Rock, Charlo, Andrade, Lara, or Alvarez at 154 and GGG vs. Saunders, Jacobs, or Alvarez at 160.

2. lepinthehood

lepinthehood When I'm drinking you leave me well alone Full Member

Aug 27, 2011
    I'm going to bed but it's quite obvious Ggg struggles with speed.

Bit speed alone is not enough

3. radupidu

radupidu Boxing Addict Full Member

Apr 17, 2010
    Were you expecting GGG to try to box Brook like he did Lemieux ?? Lol

GG was in seek and destroy mode tonight

Why ?

Because that would be the best tactic when you have GGG s power and you're fighting a ww

GGG is a damn good boxer, he can adapt to whatever style, the man has huge experience, dont forget this

Odins beard and Swollen Liver like this.
  4. Gneus7

Gneus7 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 29, 2007
    I think it was mainly Brook. He may be smaller but he is better than the other guys Golovkin has been facing and has a different style and attributes.

5. Lady Girl

Lady Girl Kneel Before Zod! Full Member

Nov 2, 2013
    brook had no power

he wasnt afraid to get hit to deliver a shot

fistsof steel likes this.
  6. Kush

Kush Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Dec 16, 2007
    GGG said he wasn't sick

K2 should be careful who they match GG with from here on out until Canelo blesses him with a payday.

His usual cans and welterweights should be fine to hold over his fans until then

7. Gneus7

Gneus7 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 29, 2007
    Also Brook had never fought at 160 and Golovkin is very powerful so an obvious strategy for Golovkin would be to just walk through the smaller man and overpower. Make it an exciting brawl for the fans. If you get or don't look great maybe it will encourage others to fight you.

8. KernowWarrior

KernowWarrior Bob Fitzsimmons much bigger brother. Full Member

Jul 12, 2012
    GGG won, there are no extra prizes for winning in style, by big KO etc, and maybe there are bonuses, as others have mentioned to not put on a destructive show,as it might tempt other lucrative fights from fighters who fancy their chances.

9. KillSomething

KillSomething Boxing Junkie Full Member

Dec 1, 2009
    I get that, but maybe I just expect a little more from GGG. Why take the obvious route (use your size) if you can outbox the guy and use him as a quick-but-not-dangerous sparring partner to sharpen up on? Steamrolling a welterweight isn't going to impress anyone.

10. boxingbull

boxingbull Boxing Addict Full Member

Mar 12, 2007
    Good thing for GGG is power is the last thing to go when you decline, but he looks noticeably slower Brook could not capitalize he has the skills but not the size and strength to go with it

It would probably take someone in the likes of Andrande or Hart at 160 once they become more seasoned and thats just a maybe would really like to see GGG move up to 168 for a more meaningful fight against DeGale or something and win another belt at a different weight class he def has the power to do so

11. Beouche

Beouche Juan Manuel Marquez Full Member

Oct 13, 2010
    Even a poisoned GGG was too much for Brook

Brook would beat everyone at 154 and plenty at 160

Just not Golovkin

Omair likes this.
  12. shadow111

shadow111 Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Aug 1, 2012
    We didn't think Brook had much power but the shocking thing was he appeared to hurt GG on multiple occasions. There were a few times where Brook's punches caused GG to back up and reset. (something we've never seen GG have to do before) The uppercut he landed on Golvokin caused Golvokin's nose to be bloodied when he went back to his corner. So it was impressive in a sense to see GG somewhat hurt by Brook, a fighter not known for having much power.

13. Jackomano

Jackomano Boxing Junkie Full Member

Nov 22, 2014
    This. Brook was fighting scared and GGG knew Brook couldn't hurt him. Brook felt every punch GGG landed while GGG didn't even bother with defense.

14. Kiddynamite86

Kiddynamite86 New Member Full Member

May 12, 2016
    Golovkin was sick...there wouldn't have been all the pre fight speculation regarding him being sick, then coincidentally a fight where he looks more sluggish than he's EVER looked before. Come on. It's obvious to me..and seems ignorant and/or naive to think otherwise. If you think he's on a decline, watch his last fight, against Dominic Wade.. Obviously Wade isn't Canelo or even Kell Brook, but he obliterated him.. He blew Wade out the ring. And that was how long ago..? Yeah, GGG was sick, and will make ****-talkers feel dumb when he blows away his next opponent. Unless it's Canelo...a fight which i see Golovkin winning, but not in a landslide.

15. Jim Jeffries

Jim Jeffries Ring General banned Full Member

Feb 24, 2013
    Golovkin was backing up and resetting also when Curtis Stevens was hitting him.