I find it hilarious that people think Taylor can have success at SMW.

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by Amsterdam, Sep 13, 2007.

1. IntentionalButt

IntentionalButt Guy wants to name his çock 'macho' that's ok by me Full Member

Nov 30, 2006
    Let him fight ANY Super Middle before making such speculation. Until he does, it is just that, speculation.

Educated speculation, however, would tell us that struggling with a middleweight, two junior middleweight/welterweights, and a severely diminished Hopkins twice, remaining undefeated through all five fights by the skin of his teeth and solely on the strength of his natural athleticism (his only real asset, and what allowed him to pad a record and seem like a beast against limited opposition pre-Hopkins), bodes poorly for a move up in weight to a very deep division.

2. IntentionalButt

Nov 30, 2006
    I'll defend Amsterdam when he's right, and correct him when he's wrong. I do NOT like the way he talks about Joshua Clottey. He thinks only Margarito apologists rate Clottey. What he doesn't understand is that there is another perspective - that Joshua is the better fighter and that praising him does not automatically mean legitimizing Tony. I am in the 99th percentile that scored the fight FOR Clottey. I've posted my card, and will defend it anytime. Margarito did not win the entire second half of the fight, and the first four were a shutout for JC. Margarito IS a bum. Clottey fought him with an injury to, IMO a very close win, though I could see a draw or CLOSE Margarito win. This does not affect Margarito's status as a bum nor Clottey's status as a force to be reckoned with at welter.

Amsterdam has discredited JC opponents in the past, he isn't the type to hype up opponents of fighters he backs to benefit from a straw-man type of argument. Most other Joe huggers (see Blocky) spend their time trashing Mikkel mercilessly. It is a testament to any Calzaghe fan's graciousness and objectivity to admit the obvious; that it will likely be a very closely contested fight, and the toughest of Joe's career.

3. BITCH ASS

BITCH ASS "Too Fast" Full Member

Jul 10, 2006
    Hopkins will beat Kessler now.

4. Amsterdam

Amsterdam Boris Christoff Full Member

Jan 16, 2005
    Incorrect, while Kessler would be an incredible victory for Calzaghe, I have grown to really like Kessler myself and I have a collection of 10 of his fights.

I've really never seen a better european boxer-puncher in my experience, he's something special. Toney and Hagler were not without flaws, Kessler's only flaw is tentativeness when he cannot control the pace, literally.

How does Toney control the pace? Why is Toney on a pedastool? Did Toney not lose to Griffin close?

And Hagler, struggling with great fighters like Duran who were well out of their best. Kessler is a SMW-LHW, and a future great at that weight in accordance if he keeps up what he is doing, win or lose vs. Calzaghe.

It has little to do with Calzaghe, more so my appreciation of Kessler. Why does it always seem like an agenda?

5. Amsterdam

Jan 16, 2005

:rofl

I'm sure Pavlik will as well.

6. BITCH ASS

Jul 10, 2006
    Kessler is too stiff.

Someone with good change of direction speed or good power and range will knock him out one day.

Either that or a powerful, compact volume puncher with power, and quick enough to get undereath his punches.

7. Amsterdam

Jan 16, 2005
    This is the outside view depending on what you have watched, but he's actually very fluid and has a world class defence. There are only so many ways to throw punches and I've seen him defend against any standard attack, while being open a bit to Andrade's awkward angles at times, thus leading me to think that Calzaghe will be able to land well enough.

A guy like Hopkins who works inside and cautiously? He'll never get past the jab at this point, but he would in his prime, thus why I said Hopkins/Kessler prime for prime is a good close fight.

Toney and Hagler I don't even regard on Hopkins level of tactical skill, they simply are not.

8. BITCH ASS

Jul 10, 2006
    His world class defense consists of him being tall and holding his gloves up.

9. Guru_Too_You

Guru_Too_You ESB OG circa '99 Full Member

Jul 24, 2004
    That joke has fought six straight champions, two multiple weight champions and two pound for pound top three fighters.

Surely he would look much better if he was fighting people who still havent even proved their capable of winning even a world trinket, let alone the linear, undisputed titles.

You're criticisms of Taylor have gone overboard.

His level of competition shits all over Calzaghe's and that HAS to be taken into account.

10. Brickhaus

Brickhaus Packs the house Full Member

Mar 14, 2007
    That's really the key. Plain and simple, despite his protestations, Amsterdam is a Calzaghe nuthugger at heart. He'll pump up Kessler because he's fighting him (after downplaying him previously), and he downplays Taylor in part because he knows Joe C. will dodge, duck, dip, dive and dodge Taylor if the matchup is available, and when he fights some washed up fighter instead, he'll have a built-in excuse as to why Roy Jones or Antonio Tarver is better than Jermain Taylor.

While Amsterdam sometimes has good reasoned analysis, sometimes it's just hogwash, and he thinks that if he says it with enough conviction, it will just become fact.

The actual facts: Taylor beat Hopkins twice. Taylor dominated Ouma. Taylor beat Spinks. Taylor dominated Joppy. Taylor's never been floored in his professional career. Taylor's walking weight is at LHW and he's a big middleweight. Taylor's ring weight is already higher than what Manfredo walked into the ring with vs. Calzaghe. Taylor has a lot of heart and stamina. Despite a lack of great power, when Taylor lands, it tends to be effective (which is how he won all those rounds against Hopkins, Winky and Spinks). Taylor has good head and body movement.

Yes, he's also a bad listener, has mediocre power and mediocre agility, and yes, his output has decreased (which is what I'm referring to when I say he's regressed - he's ceased to be as aggressive as he used to be, but he's made no real strides defensively to offset his diminishing output), but he does have some big positives on his side, which is more than one can say for most of the bottom half of the SMW top 10. I'd favor Calzaghe vs. Taylor, and Kessler/Pavlik/Hopkins/Winky/Abraham are pick-em fights, but I'd favor him to beat anyone else between 154 and 168.

11. BITCH ASS

Jul 10, 2006
    Kessler would not beat Toney.

Toney is one of the best fighters of our generation. He's old school and very well respected amongst many fighters.

Joe Frazier even has respect for Toney and they have very different styles.

12. Guru_Too_You

Guru_Too_You ESB OG circa '99 Full Member

Jul 24, 2004
    :good

We all have our favorite fighters that can cause a bias, conscious or not.

13. Amsterdam

Jan 16, 2005
    My criticism's of Taylor are on target. I am not a nuthugger, nor a rabid hater, those two comments in regard to me are the only retort that I am recieving in return.

His competition can be broken down easily, as can his performances. Which I have done both.

You have said Taylor is ripe for the picking. He is a joke when assessing his hype, they hype up an average fighter and lead him along and then when he doesn't live up to the hype, they seek to cash him out, which is what the Pavlik bout it.

14. Amsterdam

Jan 16, 2005
    This is where I know you selectively read. Taylor has already avoided the Calzaghe fight anyway, I have stated multiple times even before it was announced that Kessler is a harder fight than Taylor for anybody, including Calzaghe.

Taylor is garbage at the P4P level, I have stated this all the way back to the first Hopkins fight, he's far too flawed. My Taylor dislike is NOTHING NEW, it's been around for over 3 years.

I have stated that Calzaghe vs. Jones/Hopkins or Tarver at this point would be absurdly ridiculous, I stand by this.

The fight I want is Calzaghe/Dawson after Kessler, win or lose. Dawson is the best at LHW, not Hopkins. Would you deny this?

I care nothing for your assessment of me because it's not even well researched.

'Eastside Boxing Forums' - A place to discuss boxing. If you dislike the material that I post, then ignore it. Especially instead of reading it incorrectly and making incorrect statements.

Stamina is one of his biggest problems. Still going back to that competition argument I see. I suppose that's the end all of boxing analysation for you guys.

Accuracy is also a big problem with him.

You think Kessler/Taylor is a pick em fight? I rest my case, you cannot analyse **** and please stop selectively reading if you want to debate with personal attacks at me.

15. IntentionalButt

Nov 30, 2006
    Ams, I know this may not be the most appropriate time and place, as you are busily waging a war on several fronts against the impressionable Jermainiacs :yep; but I really am curious as to your response to my views on Clottey, as I don't think I remember you ever addressing them?