I just met a guy who says that Mike Tyson is Underrated.

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by OP_TheJawBreaker, Jul 7, 2021.

1. roughdiamond

roughdiamond Ridin' the rails... Full Member

Jul 25, 2015
    Mark? Is that you?

2. djanders

djanders Boxing Addict Full Member

Feb 21, 2009
    In order to have any chance of coming to a conclusion on this, we first need to know where he's rated. I'm going out to get my eyes, along with my wife's, checked or I'd do it. Maybe somebody can start a thread: "Where do you rate (what number) Mike Tyson on your all-time heavyweight list?" Then we could average out the answers and see where he's rated, at least on this board.

3. janitor

janitor VIP Member Full Member

Feb 15, 2006
    I fail to see how any statement about a fighter being overrate/underrated could be idiotic.

Even if the persons opinion is wrong, they might have their reasons.

George Crowcroft likes this.
  4. TipNom

TipNom Active Member Full Member

Jun 19, 2019
    That's where I rank him aswell, but I think alot of folks tend to be a little too harsh on his resume, and his overall ability.

5. Bokaj

Bokaj Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jan 4, 2008
    If you ask the guys around here few will have him outside the top 10, I think, and most are very impressed by his abilities. I just think perception is skewed, because there is a certain exasperation with all the new posters here (or alt of older ones who got banned) that think Tyson was the second coming and that he was basically shot after Spinks and nothing he did after that should be counted.

I mean, I've seen the Tyson against Douglas compared to the Ali against Holmes, and when you see that kind of delusion you can't help but react against it and that might seem as a put down against Tyson, but it really isn't. Yes, he was mortal and could lose, but he was a hell of a fighter. For a much longer time than his hardcore fans care to admit, actually.

TipNom likes this.
  6. George Crowcroft

George Crowcroft Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Can't you read? It's jawbreaker knife man.

roughdiamond likes this.
  7. roughdiamond

roughdiamond Ridin' the rails... Full Member

Jul 25, 2015
    I'm scared.

George Crowcroft likes this.
  8. Bigcheese

Bigcheese Well-Known Member Full Member

Jun 7, 2015
    I find people tend to unfairly write off his opponents, like he was a can crusher and these weren't talented top rated heavyweights that he was blitzing. He is definitely overrated by some in h2h matchups. I doubt you would find anyone who doesnt have him as at least a top 15 atg heavy

9. IntentionalButt

IntentionalButt Guy wants to name his çock 'macho' that's ok by me Full Member

Nov 30, 2006
    As overrated as it gets (arguably) in his prime, mostly by casuals/the mainstream.

Underrated since, mostly on forums.

10. RulesMakeItInteresting

RulesMakeItInteresting Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 23, 2019
    How can you underrate a fighter whom at least matches the Greatest in terms of popularity and press?

I recently spoke to young man (30 or so) in person and he knew I loved heavyweight boxing. He asked me who the Greatest heavy boxer of all time was and naturally I said Ali, but that Joe Louis wasn't too far behind.

He looked at me as though I were out of my mind and said "Tyson, man!".

Naturally, I was accepting and told him I though Mike was a very great fighter and that I respected his opinion...an opinion that seems quite common today from my experience.

Hey, to each their own. Mike is without question a top 10+ ATG, his reign in the 80s was sensational, and he was very good in the 90s.

BitPlayerVesti likes this.
  11. johnmaff36

johnmaff36 Boxing Addict Full Member

Nov 5, 2009
    hes overrated and underrated in equal measures. It seems to go 1 way or the other regarding tyson