I just watched Kessler vs Andrade...OMG!

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by Dunky McCafferty, Oct 28, 2007.

1. steelem

steelem Active Member Full Member

Mar 5, 2006
    if you got 500-00 go ringside - if you 90-00 you can get a floor seat - i wouldnt miss this for the world - ill be showing these photos for yrs to come - cannot wait

2. Olu G. Rotimi

Olu G. Rotimi The Right Honourable Lord President of the Council Full Member

May 29, 2007
    Terry D you know absolutely nothing if you call the boxing clinic and masterclass Ajose gave against Reid unimpressive. Even Reid who has basically fought all the Light Welterweights in Britain said in the post fight interview that Ajose was a world class operator and the best fighter he had faced. Please don't talk to me about John Fewkes and Ajose in the same breath. You are are talking of the a guy inside the WBC top 10 ratings who happens to be the undefeatyed Commonwealth and African champion who will add the British & European title to his collection next year when beats up Colin Lynes unless Lynes as I suspect will vacate the title when Ajose is named as his mandatory.

Please raise your game.

3. "TKO"

"TKO" Boxing Addict Full Member

Jun 23, 2007
    Olu, you really do crease me up with some of this stuff.

I think the point he was trying to make was that putting on an impressive performance against a sub .500 fighter is nothing to write home about. Nor is marching to a 3rd round stoppage over a guy who in his last bout was stopped by a fighter with a 15-27 record!

You cannot go from fighting guys who are not world top 200 to calling out for shots at top 3 world champions and expect anyone to take any notice. If he beats Colin Lynes it will be a start. But if not, hell, anybody in the top 30 would be a start!

4. Strike

Strike Boxing Addict banned

Sep 14, 2004
    That is the whole thing that has driven me mad. Ajose looked fast and awkward against Pryce and I was fairly impressed despite the fact that he sort of hits down with his jab and slaps sometimes.
    He looks tricky and quick and puts nice bunches together...BUT...

Olu has been on here saying that Hatton is ducking Ajose.:lol::patsch That guys like Witter are running scared, when Witter was fighting for the WBC world title and then KOing the likes of Harris and yet really he should have been fighting a guy who's biggest name is Bradley Pryce.

5. RichDam

RichDam Active Member Full Member

Apr 26, 2006
    To be fair Hatton and Witter won't be fighting Ajose any time soon. I think Olu knows this, and I think Ajose knows this too. But he is trying to make a name for himself in the division and who can blame him.

He is obviously a very skilled fighter. Anyone who has watched him will attest to this. Is he world class??? At the moment we don't know as he hasn't been given that chance, but he could well be. He certainly looks a league above many of the fighters at domestic level.

I imagine promoters have struggled to work out what to do with him. He probably isn't a big ticket seller like Michael Gomez or Young Muttley. That is because he has only based himself in this country in the last few years. That is no fault of his own by the way.

Terry D, to say he isn't willing to graft to get a world title shot is unfair. The bloke has gone up and down divisions looking for fights and is unable to get those step-up fights that he needed.

6. Max Molyneux

Max Molyneux Liverpool Liver Tickler Full Member

Jul 11, 2005
    He rates Sam Peter too, who mostly gets knockdowns or Ko's because he hits them at the back of the head.

He should of got the loss In the 1st Toney fight too. Toney was doing his usual counter off the ropes or getting on the Inside shoulder rolling.

7. Olu G. Rotimi

May 29, 2007
    Next thing you will tell me Ali Nuumbembee, Bradley Pryce, Victor Kpadenue all Ajose victims are not as good as Lynes. Ask yourself why Lynes pulled out twice against fighting Ajose after the contracts were signed?

8. Olu G. Rotimi

May 29, 2007
    Exactly RichDam. Ajose has had to beat many Light Middleweights and Welterweight just to get a contest even though he is a Light Welterweight. Being on the inside you will not believe how difficult it is to get opponents to face him. The only reason the Pryce fight happened was because Sports Network they thought they were bringing in an opponent for Pryce. After beating Pryce from pillar to post Sports Network wanted Ajose to come and spar with Hatton which Ajose team would not allow instead we offered to face Hatton in a contest and we have not heard from them ever since.

I respect Hatton and Witter as fighters and champions but I know my man can beat any Light Welterweight in the world period.

9. "TKO"

Jun 23, 2007
    Surely that should tell you something about the level that the boxing world in general thinks he is at right now. Fact is, if you looked on someone as a possible sparring partner level fighter and they came out and said they wanted a real shot at your world title, you'd crease up laughing!!!

10. Olu G. Rotimi

May 29, 2007
    We will see who is laughing when they fight assuming Hatton is not forced to retire after the humiliation and pain PBF is going to inflict on him. The fact that we would not take up sparring with a rival should tell you the expectations of his talent. I am not going to embarass anyone but I know the guys Ajose toys with in sparring. The problem these days is fighters and promoters are not keen to put in the best against the best.

11. "TKO"

Jun 23, 2007
    Which probably explains why your boy is fighting guys coming off a stoppage loss to a 15-27 fighter after 20 pro bouts? I honestly doubt if they are ever going to fight for real, the way Ajose's going he'll be 50-0 before he faces a ranked contender!! :hi: :hi:

12. Dunky McCafferty

Dunky McCafferty Boxing Junkie banned

Aug 24, 2004
    As Olu said, Olusegun is in the WBC junior-welter top 10. I can see why he doesnt see himself simply as a sparring partner.

Is it reallly so laughable that a guy in the top ten of one of the most prestigious title ratings would prefer an actual fight with Hatton than to be his sparring partner?

13. Dunky McCafferty

Dunky McCafferty Boxing Junkie banned

Aug 24, 2004
    Good to see you back Olu:good

Sad to see that Ajose is still struggling to get anyone to step up to the plate & fight him, but at least hes broke the WBC top 10, & he should concentrate on keeping his winning run going & working his way up to that coveted mandatory position, instead of wasting his time trying to goad the prospects from these shores into fighting him to show who is the top man, cos it certainly looks like you are correct when you say they are scared, cos Olusegun is always pleading to fight ALL the names domestically & at world level.

Good luck to Olusegun, & its great news hes broken into the WBC's top 10. Maybe this will finally tempt someone to fight him.

14. "TKO"

Jun 23, 2007
    Hey Dunky, what happened to not engaging in conversation with newbies until they have "proved themselves"?

On a serious note, personally, the alphabet boy rankings don't do it for me. Just a look at the 140 top ten shows the likes of Marcos Maidana, Jungbun Kim and Timothy Bradley very highly ranked on sparse records. I prefer to look at the fighters on merit. Ajose Olusegun may be breaking into the world top 30 or so atm, but he is still a long way from meriting a world title shot of any kind.

I hear what Olu says about some of the domestic level fighters not being keen to mix it (though bearing in mind that he is obviously involved with Olusegun's camp in some way I am inclined to take it with a pinch of salt). But there are still other fighters out there, on the European stage (though I don't think he is eligible to fight for the EBU title being African originally). But it is too big a step to realistically expect to go from fighting guys who are 16-15 or 5-2 to challenging the legitimate world champ.

Sparring with a fighter doesn't necessarily mean you are being looked down on or treated as a second class fighter. Winky Wright and Jeff Lacy, for example, used to spar regularly in Florida. It would have been a good chance to get some experience with a top drawer fighter and show off what he can do. As for an actual titalshot, he's just going to have to work his way up like Hatton and Witter had to do. He seems like the kind of guy you would root for and I hope he establishes himself at world class, but some of Olu's blatant cheerleading is getting a bit silly IMHO.

15. ron u.k.

ron u.k. Boxing Addict banned

Feb 14, 2006
    a start would be for ajose to fight someone who can actually punch.how did he get ranked in the top ten by the wbc on what basis?