I now appreciate Povetkin more

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by Dance84, May 1, 2021.

1. catchwtboxing

catchwtboxing Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 4, 2014
    You should seriously consider quitting the sport. Or at least talking about it. You simply don't understand what you are watching.

2. sasto

sasto Boxing Junkie Full Member

Aug 5, 2020
    Povetkin will certainly be missed. And much as he's disliked Wilder was always in shape, never lost to anyone unworthy, never quit, and was consistently active until his mid thirties.

There is a very small group of fighters who started after 2000 and can say that, unfortunately.

3. G Man

G Man Boxing Addict Full Member

Jun 25, 2011
    But why?

4. TipNom

TipNom Active Member Full Member

Jun 19, 2019
    He had trouble with him but nowhere near enough trouble to say that he would "definitely" lose to prime Povetkin. Especially since he looks like he's improved since the Povetkin fight.

Wizbit1013 and HellSpawn86 like this.
  5. Surrix

Surrix Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 16, 2020
    Lewis NEVER was fat. He had impressive weight but also very large frame.
    Usually he was 244-245-250lbs. In fight vs Vitali he was 256 lbs and was not fat.

I

6. MarkusFlorez99

MarkusFlorez99 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jan 13, 2021
    I never said he was fat, i said he was overweight. Lewis at his absolute peak weighed 245lb, he was 256½ against Vitali, his career heaviest. he looked overweight, was sluggish and took Vitali on 2 weeks notice.

Bokaj likes this.
  7. sasto

sasto Boxing Junkie Full Member

Aug 5, 2020
    The (early to mid) 70s era was great because we don't have to wonder who the best was. Ali, Foreman, and Frasier all faced each other (with decisive results) and faced most of the other contenders.

It's not that they were some other species, gods walking the earth, it's that they fully used the talent they had.

Maybe Povetkin beats Ken Norton easily, or maybe he doesn't, but if they were both around in the 70s the fight would have happened. Today maybe the fight happens or maybe they end up with different promoters and never get near each other.

gogeta and It's Ovah like this.
  8. G Man

Jun 25, 2011
    The Lewis being 'fat' thing stems from underlying anxiety from Lewis fans, who know he was bested that day and got extremely lucky with the win via cut, when Vitali was champing at the bit to finish Lewis who was wobbling around like an old woman at that point.

9. Surrix

Surrix Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 16, 2020
    For his large frame even 256 lbs is good weight.
    Btw I had saw some Lewis pics when he already had been retired 2 years ago and was like 40 years old and he still did not looked fat.

10. HellSpawn86

HellSpawn86 Boxing Junkie Full Member

May 6, 2007
    I’ll give you a response only because your first post was decent. The rest of your posts kind of went downhill from there.

You are correct in that it’s been top heavy for the last few eras. For the last few heavyweight reigns, ala Lewis, Klitschko, and now Fury we have seen heavyweight division get worse and worse. Bigger slower guys who are seriously lacking some skills. However in this particular era the top heavys simply aren’t fighting each other on a regular basis so it makes rating them even harder.

If you watch Moorer vs Holyfield, and fast forward to Fury vs Klitschko there is just no comparison how much faster and more skilled the heavys in the 90s were. Doesn’t mean they would win, but these guys showed a much varied set of skills from cutting off the ring, in fighting, counters, ring generalship, etc. That’s just the eye test. Now getting into competition.

These guys were fighting more like 3-4 times a year and against other top 10 guys so you could better gauge how good they were. The rankings were changing almost every year.

Now a days the top guys are facing top 20 guys and waiting years before facing each other. Right now almost all the top heavys are their 30s. They are the same guys as 5 years ago, there has been very little movement because they just aren’t fighting that often. Whyte is still waiting to fight for the WBC and Fury is still 2-0 in world title fights. Joe Joyce is 34 and still a prospect.

For a lot of these guys if they really wanted to show the mettle or how great they were fighting on a more consistent basis would actually up their skill set and would make it more exciting to watch.

sasto, gogeta and It's Ovah like this.
  11. TipNom

TipNom Active Member Full Member

Jun 19, 2019
    Alot of these guys lost to or had trouble with low level opposition

12. G Man

Jun 25, 2011
    Well the dynamics are always going to change. But it doesn't prove the fighters to be any better or any worse. Also, since you mention Moorer, he was KOd in slow motion by a geriatric Foreman. I don't get your point to be honest.

13. G Man

Jun 25, 2011
    This is my point. Fighters from the 60s were nothing special at all. I mean they were special human beings but they were only slightly different in the sense that they were slightly primitive compared to today's fighters. Seriously, look at all the bums Ali beat and all the the bums they beat, what was so special about that era apart from the fact it was a great time in history and Ali happened to be charismatic? I would bet my life on Fury to beat the lot of them with one arm tied behind his back. It's just the way things move on. For the record Povetkin would probably steamroll everyone from the 70s.

14. boxingspitbucket24

boxingspitbucket24 Active Member banned Full Member

Jul 10, 2013
    Yeah I feel Vitali's stock went up today. He took care of younger better versions of Arreola and Chisora that the supposed top guys in today's division scraped past.

Dance84, Heavy_Hitter, fredam and 4 others like this.
  15. MarkusFlorez99

MarkusFlorez99 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jan 13, 2021
    Thats a bunch of bull**** you typed there. Lewis was 6-12 pounds over his prime fighting weight depending on what you call his prime fighting weight. He was clearly overweight, even the commentators saw this. In addition to that his was 37 years old and took a prime Vitali on a 2 weeks notice.

That "cut" wasn't luck. You want to know why ? Because it wasn't just 1 random ass cut. It was 3 or 4 separate gashes on his face and Lewis was catching up on the score cards and had the momentum by the time Vitali's corner thought that the injuries were too serious and stopped the fight. People still coping by saying the cut was luck is funny

This is what Klitschkos face looked like after the fight

Old Overweight Lewis beat prime Klitschko by TKO in the 6th round. Deal with it.

And Povetkin steamrolls Ali and Foreman ? Please

Last edited: May 2, 2021
    Bokaj, Dance84, HellSpawn86 and 2 others like this.