I read that leading up to the Tyson fight, Holyfield benched 365 lbs for 10 reps

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by InMemoryofJakeLamotta, May 24, 2023.

1. Journeyman92

Journeyman92 I’m become seeker of milk Full Member

Sep 22, 2021
    cross_trainer likes this.
  2. cross_trainer

cross_trainer Liston was good, but no "Tire Iron" Jones Full Member

Jun 30, 2005
    It rewards the occasional check-in. Often will show something one might have missed about some of these guys.

For example, revealing G.O.A.T. puncher DaVarryl Williamson. :cool:

Journeyman92 likes this.
  3. KINGWILDER

KINGWILDER "Diamond Boy" Full Member

May 11, 2023
    Wouldn't be shocked considering Holyfield was on every PED under the sun.

4. InMemoryofJakeLamotta

InMemoryofJakeLamotta I have defeated the great Seamus Full Member

Sep 21, 2017
    No PEDs or bench shirts

cross_trainer and Entaowed like this.
  5. Entaowed

Entaowed Boxing Addict banned Full Member

Dec 16, 2012
    No PEDs lifetime, never used any at all?
    Then that is more impressive!

Plus if you never even took Creatine-a natural substance but unlike protein powder/weight gainers, unnatural in that folks consume far more than they could ever plausibly get from a diet, hence effectively unnatural...
    Then besides all your hard work, anything ~ 400 lbs., let alone ever, is a natural genetic potential greater than the average man!

Bokaj and InMemoryofJakeLamotta like this.
  6. ron davis

ron davis Well-Known Member Full Member

Sep 2, 2013
    Whatever he lifted is stupid, nut case, muscle-bound.

7. Entaowed

Dec 16, 2012
    I gotta disagree with you there.
    I am deeply against all PED use, especially when folks cheat/lie & steal money & glory from clean athletes bu using when it is illegal in sports.

But a small % of folks can get to Holyfield's levekl completely naturally.
    And he was not "muscle bound" his speed & agility was very good.
    The effort itself to get stronger can be completely positive, healthy, impressive discipline & effort...
    Or narcissistic, driven by insecurity & (in the case of cheating) greed & dishonor.

Condemning all those who become very strong & muscular itself is iteself deeply misguided & wrong.

Bokaj and Storm-Chaser like this.
  8. John Galt

John Galt Active Member Full Member

Sep 3, 2011
    The good genetics to bench press 365 x 10 would be short arms, a long torso, and a thick chest, just the opposite of Holyfield. To believe that Holyfield did that I'd have to see it or someone I trusted who knew a lot about weight lifting would have to see it. A boxing trainer or some hang around would not convince me.

hdog, cross_trainer, Pat M and 2 others like this.
  9. Storm-Chaser

Storm-Chaser Well-Known Member Full Member

Sep 5, 2022
    No, in my book holyfield was never a power man. It was probably 10lb for 365 reps.

Pat M likes this.
  10. Entaowed

Dec 16, 2012
    You are wromg on a couple of scores.

1) I never claimed, nor has anyone on this thread, & rarely anyone on this whole website, that Holyfield was clean. I've said just the opposite many times & linked the damning evidence.
    Thus you are unintentionally setting up & arguing against a "Straw Man".

2) That is just part of what makes up good genetics.
    Thick chest is overwhelmingly a product of building muscle, which begs the question of whether it's done naturally or not.
    Also that is not such an extraordinary level that one cannot have some features that are not ideal-hence you can see some massive BPers with say long arms.

3) Other things genetics, chiefly high natural androgen levels & thick bone structure, which also tend to be correlated.

11. John Galt

Sep 3, 2011
    Maybe Holyfield could dead lift 365 for 10, he is built for that. He is not built to bench press, even if he used lot of roids, at 225 pounds or less, he ain't benching 450-500 or 365 x 10.If he weighed 285 and used lots of roids, he might, but he would not be slim and muscular at 285.He'd be built thick like a bench presser.
    Steroids were not mentioned in my post and you wrote a reply about straw men and roids.Did you quote my post by accident but mean to reply to somebody else?

Last edited: May 26, 2023
    hdog and cross_trainer like this.
  12. Shay Sonya

Shay Sonya The REAL Wonder Woman! Full Member

Aug 15, 2021
    If it was not free weights, but on a machine, I think 365 pounds is possible for Evander Holyfield at that point in time. Plus we do not know if some sort of bench shirt was involved. Form could also be a factor. After all, this was not an internationally judged event.

cross_trainer likes this.
  13. slash

slash Boxing Addict Full Member

Apr 15, 2012
    I see we have another Mike Tyson fan convention going on.

'89 Holyfield stops '89 Tyson

Bokaj likes this.
  14. Entaowed

Dec 16, 2012
    No I replied to you-because I did not comprehend that you are saying what you just made explicit: that he could not Bench 365 X 10 even WITH PEDs!
    That you are way off on Mr. Galt.
    PEDs-especially used effectively over time, like the expert advice he must have gotten re: stalking them from presumably his trainer the 8 time Mr. Olympia Mr. Haney, can & will
    This content is protected
    This content is protected

InMemoryofJakeLamotta likes this.
  15. John Galt

Sep 3, 2011
    What does Julius Maddox have to do with Holyfield?Maddox weighs 440 pounds, his chest is thick enough that a lock out of his arms is probably about 6" above his chest, maybe less than that when he arches his back like most bench pressers.The guy's chest is probably at least 70", the guy concentrates on bench pressing, he's not a boxer.Holyfield was 6-2, 215, probably had a 44" chest, and did weight lifting to supplement boxing.Roids will make a person much stronger, but a guy training for another sport and not concentrating on bench pressing is not like a 440 pounder who is trying to break a bench press record.You seriously don't understand that a guy who weighs 440 pounds with a thick chest is not the same as a guy who weighs 215 with a lean, slim build although their arm length might be similar?

Last edited: May 26, 2023
    hdog likes this.