I started boxing before 4 days,and i have some specific questions and issues.

Discussion in 'Boxing Training' started by Amds, Dec 21, 2017.

1. Amds

Amds New Member Full Member

Dec 20, 2017
    So i started boxing before 4 days.Unfortunately in my country boxing is a very undevelopment sport.So the first day they checked my footwork which it sucks.
    Then they gave me some 10oz gloves and asked me to punch the heavy bag they have.One of my biggest issues in life is that i am high strung,ive'been in a lot of street fights and i know how to snap your punch or when to fully commit.Therefore they didn't saw me pushing the heavy bag but punching it.The main coach told me that i am an extremenly hard puncher and that my footwork is one of the worst he ever seen.So it's a complicate situation.Since he is right about both.But that's not the reason i am posting this.Yesterday i had some light sparr with the coach and while i ducked which is pretty dumb for a guy of my heigh 6.1"1.84 cm i got a very light hook in the back of my head.Since then i feel dizzy and my head feels heavy.I am ready to sacrifice my ribs or my jaw to get high in boxing but not my brain.If anyone got some advice or critism i am open.You are free to express your views even badmouth me,if you can help me improve i will be happy.Thank you.

oldcanvasback likes this.
  2. TheMikeLake

TheMikeLake Well-Known Member Full Member

Jun 17, 2013
    Head over to the boxing training forum and good luck to you.

3. Amds

Dec 20, 2017
    Isn't that the boxing forum?

4. Paranoid Android

Paranoid Android Manny Pacquiao — The Thurmanator banned Full Member

Jul 21, 2017
    OP,

Your Engrish is as bad as your footwork and punching technique.

CodeBreaker likes this.
  5. Amds

Dec 20, 2017
    In other words,if someone is bad in english that means that his punching technique and footwork are bad as well.I see,that makes perfect sense.

6. Paranoid Android

Paranoid Android Manny Pacquiao — The Thurmanator banned Full Member

Jul 21, 2017
    Pretty much. How's your chin?

7. miniq

miniq Tyson Fury Undisputed HW Champion 18/5/24 banned Full Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Start slow.

Analyse footage

I'm glad they started with your footwork.

Alot of places will have you stand static to start off throwing basic combinations...

Don't even bother throwing combinations intill you have each punch understood

Start with the jab

Switch between orthodox and southpaw

Throw the jab out.

Bring it higher, lower turn it over etc etc.

You can teach yourself if you're methodical and have a mirror.

I'd focus on the jab and your static footwork first...remember to switch between southpaw and orthodox. You have to understand yourself as a fighter! DO NOT let anyone tell you how it should be, you have to feel for yourself. co-ordination is everything. Watch how fighters "snap" the shoulder. I think this is quite important for learning to the feel for throwing a punch properly remember you start at your feet is comes through your body through the shoulder THEN your arm starts to move..all in one motion.

example: I am left handed and left footed many would say "oh you'd fight southpaw" this is false. In southpaw i'm pretty much useless excluding the straight left hand. In Orthodox I can use my jab very well, The left hook works much better and the straight right is pretty good not far behind the straight left in terms of power and speed.

Then once you've built some basics...hey get sparring - again this is something totally different. Shadowboxing and training is nothing compared to getting in that ring you have your natural responses and feelings to control and you have to analyse and understand your opponent.

8. Amds

Dec 20, 2017
    Well i haven't got punched in the chin in those 4 days.But in the street i have never been knocked out.And in the past i got punched in the chin plenty of times.Also manny pacquiao the guy you admire so much doesn't know proper english either.(just sayin just sayin)

9. Amds

Dec 20, 2017
    I actually checked the southpaw normal form before i went there,i also builted my stamina before i joined i can run 4 miles under 30 minutes with difficulty but i can.Now about the stance i am using southpaw and it fits me much more than the regular one.Also my left is a bit of stronger,i know the proper punches technique but i don't know how to use my body for them.Despite that after watching ali or naseem ahmed i understand why footwork is important.I am going to check people in my weigh class and then tell you my jab speed in compare to them.(people in wbc matches or wba opbf etc)thank you for your response.It's logical and i appreciate it.

10. miniq

miniq Tyson Fury Undisputed HW Champion 18/5/24 banned Full Member

Oct 23, 2011
    If you're not happy sparring and don't feel like you're learning from it then don't bother...The end goal is the get in the ring and perform against another man but preparation prior to getting in the ring is more important. Of course at some point you have to apply what you're supposed to be learning.

11. Amds

Dec 20, 2017
    No no i learnt that if i don't control the distance i am done for.It was a good lesson the dizziness wasn't.But i don't know what i should try to master infighting or out boxing it's a difficult choice for me.Despite that i always use pick -a boo something style and try to have my hands close to the chin all the time even when the coach says "time"to rest.Because i know that counter punchers are going to come for it.But i don't know where to direct all my energy,infighting?stamina?reflexes?all of them?that's what i want to know.

12. ashishwarrior

ashishwarrior VIP Member Full Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Practice balance techniques and work on defence
    If you hit as hard as you say you do it will increase with better balance
    Rolling with hooks takes away a lot of sting
    Watch pirog in the art of defence distance balance movement its great

13. Flamazide

Flamazide Well-Known Member banned Full Member

Jul 27, 2016
    You just got buzzed by a shot. Happens often when you get hit in the back of the head. When you spar make sure you have headgear on. Give it a few days and try again. If you have end up hearing a ring in your head or see dark spots stop boxing.

Sphillips likes this.
  14. Amds

Dec 20, 2017
    I am saying the truth but,my reflexes are sluggish.The coach says they are fine but i know they are not.I am sure of it.I checked my form in the mirror the guard and the step in is good,no telephone punches but my legs are stuck to the ground all the time.It's horrible zero elegance.Knocking people down might sound good but looking horrible and unartistic isn't do any of you have some advice for me?How to improve foot work?Something like this lomanchekov guy would be perfect.Again thank you for the response.