I started boxing before 4 days,and i have some specific questions and issues.

Discussion in 'Boxing Training' started by Amds, Dec 21, 2017.

1. pistal47

pistal47 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jul 14, 2007
    I'm sorry but I'm kind of in a rush, so didn't fully take in the initial post....... It's not common to be a hard puncher and have "terrible" footwork. Footwork is probably the most underrated and underappreciated skill in boxing, and the most important skill most likely. Focus on that. For a very long time. When you get good with your footwork everything else will develop and build off that. Then you can focus on planting your feet and sitting down on your punches. Your hips are your transmission. I don't care how much horsepower and tourque the engine(your body and legs) can generate, if it doesn't have the transmission(hips) to put the power to the ground(opponent/target) then it's useless.

If you really want to box, it's gonna take a long time and a **** ton of blood sweat and tears. It truly is worth it. Don't get discouraged, don't focus on how others are doing compared to you. Focus on YOU. After a while you will wake up one day and if you did it right your hands, feet, and hips will all be in synch with one another and you will be efffectively employing good skills without even thinking about them.

Good for you kid, I'm rooting for you. PM me anytime you have a question and if I can answer it I will, if I can't I won't bull**** you.

oldcanvasback likes this.
  2. Amds

Amds New Member Full Member

Dec 20, 2017
    I trully appreciate that response i am going to message you.I will give you every single detail.I did some research my self,and i came to some conclunsions.

3. oldcanvasback

oldcanvasback Active Member Full Member

Jan 26, 2018
    What weight are you?
    If you are 6 foot plus work on out fighting.

Control distance and work on your feet. I think feet are so important. If your footwork and timing are good each punch has the maximum effect. Also, if your foot work is good you can choose when to engage and when not to.

As for ducking under punches that's only part of what you can do.As just one example - Look at the way Pernell Whittaker and Rigo shift their weight from the front foot to the back foot

4. Grapefruit

Grapefruit Active Member Full Member

Dec 19, 2017
    Things like punching power and especially chin are aspects your more born with, your footwork probably sucks because you just started working on it, though not everyone naturally has a spring to their step, keep up with footwork drills and line jumping and if you get hit and are still dizzy from it you may have gotten a concussion, so id let your trainer know and avoid sparring for a while until your brain heals

5. Amds

Dec 20, 2017
    Right now i'm 88kg 1.81 m heigh.

6. Amds

Dec 20, 2017
    No i was completely fine.

7. Giacomino

Giacomino Member Full Member

Oct 15, 2016
    Everyone is different, so this may not apply in your case - but you seem a little heavy for your height. (As a reference, I'm 179 cm and about 81kg - and I consider myself a bit heavy for my frame). So you may want to *gradually* chisel off a couple of kilos. As I say, though, it depends how you carry your weight.

8. Amds

Dec 20, 2017
    Well i have 18% body fat so,you're most likely right my best weigh would be 80kg or so 79.600 etc.
    I actually want to compete in the super middle weigh division not in the cruiser weigh or junior heavy weigh.I don't juice so,it would be a suicide if i were to do so.(I'm talking about high level perfomances not a guy who jumped into the ring)
    Either way,i believe i started boxing too late.Since in my country connections are more important than actual talent.You will see people who're afraid to fight in C category championships.Who clinch more than they throw punches.(No sause here or overtalking i'm serious 100%)
    Therefore i might have been way too delusional right there,i am 21 after all.

9. Giacomino

Oct 15, 2016
    21 years old is too old for nothing. If you want to do it, you can. Good luck with it.

10. Amds

Dec 20, 2017
    It's not a matter of perfomance,i told you.It's a matter of connections.
    In my country we never had a gold medalist in 45 years of boxing.That's not because of luck,think about it....

11. Giacomino

Oct 15, 2016
    Well, I don't know your country so, yes, for sure the odds may be against you.

But think about this: If you decide that a thing is impossible and can't be done, how do you think that's going to work for you?

12. Amds

Dec 20, 2017
    My country is greece,now about your question.The thing that makes a person a legend in boxing is most likely.his mental fortitude,overcofidence,iron will etc.I understand that,in fact i consider myself a victim of those virtues but.
    Reality is reality...I can't win a boxing match when there is no boxing match.Also i have responsibilities,i can't dedicate my lifestyle in a game where everything it's pretty much fixed.
    I want to have a match to death to test my limits,not my wallet depth.....I hate corruption.

13. Giacomino

Oct 15, 2016
    I've lived in your country, I know what it's like. Still, you are making excuses to an extent.

Not sure if it's an ESL problem - but if you actually mean a 'match to the death', then you should probably quit boxing and grow up.

14. Amds

Dec 20, 2017
    I don't understand your reply.

15. Giacomino

Oct 15, 2016
    I spent some some time living in Greece - so I understand what you mean about the lack of infastructure and the corruption.

However, you cannot use it as an excuse. Boxing is a sport which is all about people in difficult situations overcoming their circumstances.

The people who become successful in this sport are the ones who don't give up, whatever the obstacles. A lot of people give up, or make excuses - we don't remember their names. You can choose which group you want to be part of.

You think Ray Leonard had it easier than you? Duran? Pacquiao?

I don't like the phrase you used: 'I want to have a match to death to test my limits'. Perhaps it is because English is not your first language - but it does not sound good in English. Boxing is not about wanting to kill somebody.

JagOfTroy likes this.