I sympathise with Lee selby...

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by lencoreastside, Dec 10, 2017.

1. lencoreastside

lencoreastside Obsessed with Boxing banned Full Member

Dec 27, 2010
    another excellent performance from Lee last night...and nobody even seemed to notice it! Poor selby just isn't fan friendly it seems. Excellent boxer though...Shame he doesn't get a bit more appreciation.

2. moog

moog Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 12, 2012
    Agree Len, at times his problem is he's too good lol. Or big negative I noticed is he seems to have lost more power in his punches. I honestly believe at SFW he would be more explosive though he's on cusp of big money fights at FW.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2017
  3. jonny v

jonny v Well-Known Member Full Member

Apr 24, 2010
    I think it all lies with his punch power. He's not explosive or devastating so he largely goes un noticed. I love to watch him personally but even i wish he had heavier hands so that his beautiful boxing could lead to a late Ko more often

Liverpool82 and moog like this.
  4. yesihavearm2

yesihavearm2 ESB Chinchecker Full Member

May 30, 2008
    After he beats Warrington I don't think Frampton will fancy it tbh, just can't see Frampton taking it.

Scyson and CutThroatFade like this.
  5. BEATDOWNZ

BEATDOWNZ Boxing Addict banned Full Member

Nov 30, 2014
    I don't.

He could (and should) be making these opponents pay. He could punish them, but coasts.

I don't like him or his style.

dryzer likes this.
  6. Dragon Punch

Dragon Punch Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 15, 2012
    When he beats up Warrington at Elland Road he will get more appreciation.

7. BEATDOWNZ

BEATDOWNZ Boxing Addict banned Full Member

Nov 30, 2014
    Doubt it. Warrington isn't that good.

Scyson likes this.
  8. velagod

velagod Well-Known Member Full Member

Oct 20, 2012
    I presume he means from casuals, but yeah Warrington is European level at best.

BEATDOWNZ likes this.
  9. ipitythefool

ipitythefool Prediction ? Pain Full Member

Mar 17, 2017
    He's a very smooth and skilled boxer but it's kind of pitter patter stuff - doesn't make real sustained attempt to stop his opponent. I certainly appreciate how skilled he is but against the level of boxers he's faced so far it is a bit dull tbh. Really want to him to face the best and under real pressure we'll se how good he is.

BEATDOWNZ likes this.
  10. lencoreastside

Dec 27, 2010
    Doubt Frampton will be too put off by that at all....but I do think Frampton might struggle with Selbys attributes fir sure. Framptons power might get him out of jail against selby. It's hard to know....

11. Grooveongreg

Grooveongreg Well-Known Member Full Member

Nov 16, 2013
    He left it too late last night. But in the 12th he showed great combinations and solid shape right until the end .

He does coast i think he might hold back on these type of opponents. Bit Warrington think he'llgive him the goods as everyone will be watching

I really like the lad he's a good kid all around prob one of our best. Doesn' talk smack or boast has a solid ego too. His brother has all the fancy moves bit I think Lee will be the one that has a great career. Andrew is fragile and cocky reminds me of Nas.

12. moog

moog Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 12, 2012
    At FW I don' think Carl's power is up to much average at best. Be a quality fight just think Lee is a bit better in pretty much every area, and that' not meant as a slight on Carl just that Lee is underrated.

13. im sparticus

im sparticus There Ye Go. Full Member

May 16, 2010
    Nobody seemed to notice it because it wasnt an excellent performance id say.
    He did his usual switching off and i didnt think that much to his display except for one or two rds past the early rds.
    His opponent was tailer made for lee and had it been for the title, then id have to cast my mind back many moons to find a fighter challenging for a world title who had worser footwork than ramirez.
    Warrington was quite rightly grining with glee when the camera panned over to him at the ringside interview with selby.
    He knows that if he fights like that against him, then selby is losing that belt.

14. Scyson

Scyson Active Member banned Full Member

Oct 14, 2017
    Selby is a very good boxer but just lacks power. I suppose he’s similar to BJS. Very talented, lacks power, not going to draw in the casuals.

Camaris and BEATDOWNZ like this.
  15. lencoreastside

Dec 27, 2010
    It's not that Carl is a huge puncher at 126....it's more that Lee really fails to disguise it when he is hit. He really shows it when he is hit. His head rolls around, he loses balance, his mouthpiece protrudes etc etc.

Carl's potshotting could look very good indeed against selby ...if he can connect cleanly that is....

moog likes this.