I think Fury is regressing.

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by FastSmith7, Oct 9, 2021.

1. Stiff Jab

Stiff Jab Despiser of Super-Middleweights Full Member

Jan 7, 2019
    I would attribute sloppiness in Fury to A) that's how he thinks one should fight Wilder, B) the Coof, C) a newborn in the hospital.

2. DavidC77

DavidC77 Well-Known Member Full Member

Aug 30, 2018
    I actually think Fury would have won earlier if he'd fought more cautiously.

Wilder looked very vulnerable from the third round onwards and I was yelling at the TV screen for Fury to use the jab a couple of rounds before Sugar Hill told him to. I also thought Fury should have gone for the body more often when in close and thrown uppercuts in the clinches.

The jabs that Fury threw were knocking Wilder's head back so Fury should have done this more often and used it to set up the right hand. I think he could have used his mobility and reach to throw the jab as he was moving in and wait for an opening for the right hand.

But instead Fury seemed quite wild and would leave himself open against a very dangerous opponent. That didn't make much sense to me.

Incidentally, I didn't agree with the assessment (I think it was from Haye) that Wilder's game plan was perfect in the first round. I thought Fury didn't charge forward and take the centre of the ring like last time in case Wilder anticipated it and had a trick up his sleeve.

That was a feeling out round for Fury.

I didn't think the boxing was of a particularly high standard but that's what made it so exciting.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2021
    SmackDaBum likes this.
  3. DavidC77

DavidC77 Well-Known Member Full Member

Aug 30, 2018
    94-92, 95-91, 95-92.

I can't agree with that, especially the first scorecard.

I had Fury 96-90 ahead.

Bokaj likes this.
  4. StiffJeb

StiffJeb Member Full Member

Sep 18, 2021
    On reflection - Fury looked a little sloppier than in the second fight, but this was partly because Wilder was more game and prepared.
    A big reason why Fury did so well in the second was that Wilder was nonplussed at Fury's entirely new and seemingly opposite fighting style. This time he was ready for it.

Fury did look improved in ways. He seemed to be hitting harder all night, and brought a good inside fight. Compare 2 and 3 side by side - there are pros and cons.

Considering the various personal circumstances factoring into it, and especially the ring rust: this wasn't the best Tyson Fury he could have brought. He admitted himself that it wasn't his best performance.

I would prefer it if he maintained the skill and slickness that he was known for, but 'sacrificing' this to become a very effective puncher as he has: this isn't regression.

DarkHorse901 likes this.
  5. MrBarry465

MrBarry465 Active Member Full Member

Jun 17, 2021
    Jesus Christ some of you are hard critics. He's just beaten the 2nd best heavy weight knt he division for a 3time time.

6. Unforgiven

Unforgiven VIP Member banned Full Member

Nov 24, 2005
    He clearly wasn't as sharp or elusive as in the 2020 fight, and this one might have taken something out of him.
    So it will be interesting to see what he brings to the ring in his next fight.

7. mcguirpa

mcguirpa Well-Known Member Full Member

Feb 15, 2009
    There were times in the fight when my heart was in my mouth... More than one occasion when Fury just stood in front of Wilder, in range, doing nothing. That's when Wilder starches people. The old Fury didn't do that.

Great performance from Fury in pulling off the stoppage late, but he really rode his luck at times. Everything he hit Wilder with hurt him and he still went life and death. I don't know if he's regressed but he definitely wasn't the Fury of the second fight.

DarkHorse901 and DavidC77 like this.
  8. Drusome

Drusome Member Full Member

Jul 19, 2004
    I feel like he's going to keep upping the weight. That will do him in - he can only get so fat and keep the movement.

9. senpai

senpai Boxing Addict Full Member

May 18, 2021
    Fury said that after second Wilder win, he was kinda depressed for couple of weeks. I really hope he will feel something like that this time. We need active Fury and Undisputed fight for 2022

10. FastSmith7

FastSmith7 Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 16, 2017
    2nd best according to who? He doesn't have any wins good enough to call him the 2nd best?
    Somebody like AJ fought men who fought everyone in the division and beat them.

Wilder fought guys that made their careers fighting cans, his only decent win is Ortiz and that's where he was basically losing every round against an old Ortiz.

DarkHorse901 likes this.
  11. Devon

Devon Well-Known Member Full Member

Dec 31, 2018
    This enrages me as Fury has shown the ability to adapt to every style and has already beaten better heavyweights than Usyk and I'm talking about Klitschko

12. It's Ovah

It's Ovah I'm your huckleberry, that's just mah game Full Member

Sep 5, 2016
    He looked flat and stiff to me and overly reliant on his physicality and roughhousing to win the fight. Reminded me a bit of his performance vs Cunningham, and to a lesser extent his performance vs Wallin. Maybe it's just something he resorts to when he realises the chips are down or he can't get into his rhythm but it makes for ugly high-tension boxing because he leaves himself so open while fighting this way.

I'm not sure if he's regressed. Probably a bit. He's ageing and he's put his body through hell and inactivity for too long now for it not to have taken something away from him. He looks less agile on his feet and his hands look noticeably slower and sloppier than they did a few years back. Here's Fury against Hammer. Look at some of the blistering combinations he's throwing. Haven't seen anything like that from Fury in a long while.

This content is protected

BitPlayerVesti likes this.
  13. It's Ovah

It's Ovah I'm your huckleberry, that's just mah game Full Member

Sep 5, 2016
    The Wlad Fury beat wasn't as good as the Usyk we have now. No one adapts to Usyk. He adapts to you.

Bokaj likes this.
  14. PernellSweetPea

PernellSweetPea Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 26, 2009
    i don't think he is regressing as much as relying on his size. Let us see what happens when he has to fight someone with speed and skill, rather than power where he had a tactic.

15. Devon

Devon Well-Known Member Full Member

Dec 31, 2018
    And so does Fury, he adapts to whoever's in front of him, this is how the fight would go, Fury would have a look at him, might even get outboxed for a few rounds, but he would soon realize and maul Usyk lean on him and tire him and might even stop him late on, but it could also go the distance, it would look similar to the Wallin fight except with Usyk having more success early on