I think Fury is regressing.

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by FastSmith7, Oct 9, 2021.

1. It's Ovah

It's Ovah I'm your huckleberry, that's just mah game Full Member

Sep 5, 2016
    That's why it's a fascinating fight for me. Both men are masters at adapting to their opponents and using their physical traits to their advantage. What happens when they clash? Fury thus far has shown more vulnerabilities and inconsistencies in his performances so I'd be leaning towards Usyk, but no one uses their size better than Fury, and Usyk has shown weaknesses to this sort of roughhousing. Really hope the fight is made as it's an absolutely tantalising prospect to dissect.

Bokaj, Devon and BitPlayerVesti like this.
  2. Jennifer Love Hewitt

Jennifer Love Hewitt Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jul 19, 2004
    He seemed under conditioned. Kind of flat footed (for him), no herky-jerky feinting, and visibly sucking wind throughout the fight. Could be a few reasons for that.
    1. He was under conditioned due to a poor camp.
    2. Wilder was doing some good stiff body shots in the first two rounds.
    3. Wilder did a bunch of damage in the 4th. Fury recovered, but you still get a bit woozy and drained from taking punishment.
    4. Throwing power punches takes more out of you than throwing arm punches. But, If he knew he needed to throw power punches all night, this goes back to reason 1. He should have prepared to be able to throw power punches all night in camp if that was the plan.

DarkHorse901 likes this.
  3. BitPlayerVesti

BitPlayerVesti Boxing Drunkie Full Member

Oct 28, 2017
    In the second Wilder fight, Fury looked far better than he has in any other fight since his comeback. This was more of a return to normal.

He's doubtlessly lost a lot with the layoff, I don't think he's gone backwards since then. His reflexes and stamina have never been the same. Though I do think his current weight is excessive.

This content is protected

Last edited: Oct 10, 2021
  4. senpai

senpai Boxing Addict Full Member

May 18, 2021
    So the Worst Fury KO'ed best Wilder ? Is that the lesson today ?

5. channy

channy 4.7.33 banned Full Member

Feb 2, 2015
    What was one to expect, after all he had been out almost 2yrs.

6. Bokaj

Bokaj Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jan 4, 2008
    Fury was ahead by 2, 4 and 3 pts on the three scorecards, so Wilder would have needed to win the last two and get another KD to get a draw. But how they could have it that close, I don't know. If you give Wilder rds 1, 4 (10-7) and 5, Fury would be ahead by 4 pts after 10 rds and I can't see what more rds you could give Wilder.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2021
    DarkHorse901 likes this.
  7. Bokaj

Jan 4, 2008
    Good to see you back! Haven't seen you here for a while.

8. On The Money

On The Money Dangerous Journeyman Full Member

Apr 4, 2012
    When Bunce asked him about the 4 week camp and he blustered about nobody needing more than 4 weeks my bs detector pinged. He came in under prepared and almost paid the price in the 4th. Fury of 20 months ago was way more in the zone. Needs too get back to that to fully assert himself in this era.

9. lepinthehood

lepinthehood When I'm drinking you leave me well alone Full Member

Aug 27, 2011
    Against Uysk he will probably come in abit lighter and use his length and footwork.

10. Bokaj

Jan 4, 2008
    He wasn't quite as sharp as the last fight, but that was one of his best performances and you can't expect to be your best every time. Especially not in a fight that you feel is pretty pointless and you got nothing to win but lots to lose.

Still, the main difference was that he got a bit careless in the 4th. In the end he dominated 7 out of 10 rds, and in those 7 he dominated just as much as in the last fight. Not really regression.

Mickc likes this.
  11. jmb1356

jmb1356 Well-Known Member Full Member

Sep 30, 2019
    Didn't see the fight, but from what everyone is saying last night sounds like proof Fury needs to stay active. Also it wouldn't surprise me if motivation was a problem, it was the same deal with the Wlad rematch that never happened. If Wallin beats Whyte, will it be the same case?

destruction likes this.
  12. BitPlayerVesti

BitPlayerVesti Boxing Drunkie Full Member

Oct 28, 2017
    Fury's unorthadoxness worked well when he was a defensive counterpuncher. As an aggressive pressure fighter it's just a liability, and really, just sloppy. But it's almost certainly too late to really change it, and he doesn't really have the reflexes to be that defensive fighter either.

It's not ideal, but he's probably making the best of it

13. navigator

navigator "Billy Graham? He's my man." banned Full Member

Nov 5, 2017
    The best Fury is an active Fury; he didn't fight for twenty months before this bout, momentum blown by COVID-19, clauses and economic considerations.

All things considered, his performance was excellent.

And it's already being underrated in some quarters. But they've been selling Fury short for over a decade and making bigger and bigger dopes of themselves with every insecure, wrongheaded forecast of his demise, so long may it continue.

14. Mickc

Mickc Well-Known Member Full Member

Nov 28, 2015
    Defo not regressing,Fury is moving and feinting less as he now plants his feet and sets himself to fight more aggressively the Kronk (Sugarhill) way .

15. BELLERS

BELLERS Active Member Full Member

Feb 22, 2020
    Wilder was at his best. Fury was not motivated, had recently had Covid. Move on.
    Fury only has Usyk left to fight really, maybe AJ, he’s done then. Less than 35 fights in his career !