I think Fury is regressing.

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by FastSmith7, Oct 9, 2021.

1. OvidsExile

OvidsExile At a minimum, a huckleberry over your persimmon. Full Member

Aug 28, 2012
    Remember that shot that Wilder hit Fury with where you could see a wave of blubber ripple all the way down his body?

2. G Man

G Man Boxing Addict Full Member

Jun 25, 2011
    He's not regressing he's erratic and unpredictable. People were saying this when he struggled with Wallin but then he went on to his best performance to date against Wilder.

3. vast

vast Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Nov 27, 2010
    Fury modified his style to his opponent following the first wilder fight. He even stated as much before the second fight. He modified it a bit more after the second fight. I see no regressing per se, just altering his approach to beat his opponent based on prior encounters.

4. It's Ovah

It's Ovah I'm your huckleberry, that's just mah game Full Member

Sep 5, 2016
    I don't think we have enough data right now to determine whether he's definitely regressing or just putting in lacklustre performances due to ring rust and poor preparation. I clearly see a lot less speed and sharpness from the pre-Wlad period, but that might just be due to his change in style from backfoot boxer to come forward brawler. I don't think it is, but I'd need another fight to be more certain.

Whyte will certainly be a good gauge on where he stands right now. I suspect the fight will be a lot closer than many predict, with Whyte hurting Fury a number of times and being hurt himself. That's contingent on Whyte beating Wallin of course, which I think he will but will look very poor doing so (which will lead people to write him off against Fury). But to say he should do the same thing to Whyte as he did to Chisora doesn't make much sense unless you consider them similar fighters. Aside from their propensity to brawl they have quite a number of differences.

Usyk I think clearly beats Fury right now, unless Fury shows something of his old form in his next fight: herky jerky feinting, snap jab, peppering combinations. But I suspect we'll never see that version of Fury again.

MarkusFlorez99 likes this.
  5. It's Ovah

It's Ovah I'm your huckleberry, that's just mah game Full Member

Sep 5, 2016
    Three of the big knockdowns in that fight were sick. Wilder's shockwave blubber shot against Fury in the fourth, Fury's ragdolling and knocking Wilder off his feet in the tenth, and Wilder's head wobbling about in the eleventh as he crashed to the canvas. Definitely some next level brain damage sustained in that bout.

OvidsExile likes this.
  6. MarkusFlorez99

MarkusFlorez99 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jan 13, 2021
    It's possible. I have noticed Fury doesn't really get on his toes much anymore although it could be because he didn't try to at all against Wilder. If Whyte just marches forward and goes to the body like he usually does it could get interesting