I think Haney might actually be the best 135 pounder, no doubt about it now

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by tinman, Jan 8, 2023.

1. Manfred

Manfred Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

May 22, 2011
    Linares rocked him and that's true. However, that was way back when he was a boy and unsure of himself. I believe he can take those shots now because Kambozos hit him with some good shots and didn't faze him. As a matter of fact, he was walking Kambozo down in the latter rounds of their second fight. Haney is a different fighter and his skills are on par with Loma's. I think that he will handle him and be decisive about it.

2. Manfred

Manfred Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

May 22, 2011
    For pure boxing skills, I think that Haney is the best at 135 and that includes Shakur. Not saying that he will beat everyone but he has the skills to. Ryan Garcia is not the skinny little kid anymore ether. He is solid and cut. He has a suspect chin but he is a worthy opponent. He needs to go forward at 140. I think that Haney can out-box Shakur. He is more fluid in my opinion. I also think that he out-boxes Tank although we all know that Tank has the equalizer.

3. mirexxa

mirexxa Heavyweight Champ Full Member

Jan 21, 2022
    Looks like mfs are jumping off Loma bandwagon to write him off that easily

MarkusFlorez99 likes this.
  4. drenlou

drenlou Tres Delinquentes Full Member

Jan 22, 2015
    Looks like mfs making alts left and right.

5. CST80

CST80 Liminal Space Autochthon Staff Member

Nov 23, 2013
    Awesome showing against Margarito's tenderized and marinated in his own blood leftovers, and remember, it's you who hypes up Pac's win over Margarito, who he called his toughest opponent, whose body shots had him laid up for weeks. So be careful and try not to belittle him, because it will be to the detriment of Pacquiao.

@Serge I bet you'll love this thread.:sisi1

Serge likes this.
  6. tinman

tinman VIP Member Full Member

Feb 25, 2015
    Pacquiao had taken far more career long punishment than Cotto had at that point of their respective careers.

7. CST80

Nov 23, 2013
    I'm one of Cotto's biggest haters on this site, the man lost to every solid opponent he faced and probably should've had four losses going into the match against Pacquiao. At best his wins over Malignaggi, Clottey and Mosley should've been draws. So I don't rate that win quite as highly as you do.

8. tinman

tinman VIP Member Full Member

Feb 25, 2015
    This content is protected

9. Serge

Serge Ginger Dracula Staff Member

Jul 21, 2009

Loma is clearly the best and most skilled fighter out of all of them. He's just campaigning in a division where he's routinely facing opponents who are close to 2, 2 or 3 divisions heavier than him and have significantly longer or way longer reaches than him.

In order to be giving up the kind of physical advantages Loma is at 135 the likes of Haney, just weighing what he does now on fight night (and obviously he's going to come in a lot heavier when he moves up to 140, 147 or beyond) he would probably have to go up to MW and he still wouldn't be at a reach disadvantage against a lot of natural MWs.

Shakur who has just come up from 130, lost his world title at 130 on the scales in his last fight, and never defended his world title at 126 once, is a lot bigger than Loma as well.

Te0 obviously is too.

Twink might be similar in terms of dimensions as Loma albeit with a 2'' longer reach, but he weighs a whole weight class more than him and don't forget he dropped his WBA regular title he won at his third weight class. He didn't hang around to take on the best and try to win the real world title or unify all the real ones individually like Loma did despite the fact that he was only giving away 5-6lbs in weight and 3 or it might be 3.5'' in reach against Barrios at 140. This is child's play for Loma who is routinely giving away more or way more than that in weight at 135 and often close to 6'' in reach.

So that begs the question. If the rest of these cats are better and more skilled than Loma but the likes of Haney has never beaten a world champion he didn't weigh two divisions or more than and didn't have a big/huge reach advantage over, and Shakur who is clear bigger than most of these guys he's fighting, ditto for Teo, and with the sole possible exception of Teo against Commey, not a single one of them has beaten a world champion who weighed even one division more than them, then let's see them prove it against world champions and top contenders who weigh close to 2, 2 or 3 divisions more than them in divisions they don't belong in.

The fact that Loma has fought more world champions than Haney, Shakur, Ryan and Teo have combined in just 19 fights, and way more in less or way less fights than almost all his peers (and almost all were prime, his size, bigger or way bigger sans one or two) and is routinely giving away huge physical advantages none of them are and is still #2 on the overall plus minus say it all. He was smashing the plus minus stars down at 126 and 130 when he wasn't giving away such huge physicak advantages.

Twink has fought a lot of world champions albeit still a fair few less than Loms but in complete contrast to Loma most were either shot to bits, dragged up in weight and were champions 1, 2 or 3 divisions below, or were regular champs. He's only ever fought one world champion who was in their prime and was a world champion at the weight he fought them at. The vast majority of Loma's were champions at the weight he fought them, bigger or much bigger. Just under half of them were champions at 135.

These guys aren't better they're just a lot bigger than Loma and not injury-ravaged 35 year old which is the age Loma turns next month. Loma a leprechaun fighting giants, they're giants fighting leprechauns and fellow giants sometimes.

CST80 and Betyabeatyaup like this.
  10. Betyabeatyaup

Betyabeatyaup Active Member Full Member

Dec 18, 2021
    I think might… no doubt about it. Dude changing his mind within a title of a thread.

11. Betyabeatyaup

Dec 18, 2021
    Yeah I’m not sold that Haney is beyond B grade at this point. Lomachenko (even if faded) is so far beyond anything Haney has seen before. Then consider Haney’s shaky chin and lack of punching power. I doubt Haney sees the end of the fight, and he certainly isn’t winning it.

CST80 likes this.
  12. Betyabeatyaup

Dec 18, 2021
    The mods of this place must have a tough time with you. Is he a troll or just someone with an extremely low iq? Power is important in every weight division, but not necessary in any weight division.

13. Betyabeatyaup

Dec 18, 2021
    I think Shakur is clearly second best after Loma. Tank’s punching power and boxing skills are greatly overrated, Garcia is the dangerous puncher in the mix. That fighter from the same stable as Spence, the southpaw who won the fight the other week (between two unbeaten guys) looks pretty special and I think he is at 135. Then you have Keyshawn Davis and Andy Cruz (both of these guys are better than all of the above apart from maybe Shakur and Loma) in the mix.

Sandman_ likes this.
  14. Betyabeatyaup

Dec 18, 2021
    Kambosos can’t punch and Haney’s skills are nowhere near Loma’s. What does Haney do so well? He’s just a decent all round boxer. Nothing special, nothing stands out. He’s hittable, not too creative with his punching, footwork and distance control just okay.. I’m just curious what these skills are that you’re talking about?

15. CST80

Nov 23, 2013
    :applaudit:

Serge Annihilates.
    This content is protected