I Think If SRR Trains And Boxes Like He Did For LaMota 6 He Beats Any MW Ever

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by McGrain, Jul 4, 2007.

1. McGrain

McGrain Diamond Dog Staff Member

Mar 21, 2007
    His workrate was absolutley incredible, his combination punching beautiful. He was in perpetual motion, took some big, big shots from a middle hitting but genuine MW, and outlasted one of the best Stamina/Chin/Guts combo's ever to step into the ring.

He sparred over a hundred rounds for that fight and looks near invincible to me.

If he genuinely was better than that at WW, he must be the greatest.

cross_trainer likes this.
  2. My dinner with Conteh

My dinner with Conteh Tending Bepi Ros' grave again Full Member

Dec 18, 2004
    He beats every middle ever...yet he was behind on the cards after 8 rounds. Hardly 'unbeatable' material.

3. janitor

janitor VIP Member Full Member

Feb 15, 2006
    I think that Randy Turpin would have conceivably beaten him even on that night.

He found a strategy which was a good foil for Robinson.

4. McGrain

Mar 21, 2007
    I'd be interested to hear which middle you think would have come out of those 8 rounds ahead v LaMotta in that fight. It's near insane aggression and workrate.

Robinson outboxes and outlasts his man beautifully, staying out of serious trouble whilst working Jake.

5. McGrain

Mar 21, 2007
    Yes indeed.

But it should also be said that in their second fight - which Robinson was properly prepared for, in contrast to the first - Robinson briefly demonstrates a top gear we don't even see in the LaMotta fights.

6. My dinner with Conteh

My dinner with Conteh Tending Bepi Ros' grave again Full Member

Dec 18, 2004

It's hard to say really. Although if you're going to go down the 'trained better than ever' route then it's only fair to acknowledge the 'weight weakened' opponent, which La Motta certainly was.*

* By the way, i don't. If they're weight-weakened, that's their tough ****.

7. McGrain

Mar 21, 2007
    Completely. Boxing is a composite sport and that includes your mental approach, training etc. LaMotta also trained very hard for this fight, he apparently sparred more rounds than Robinson.

8. McGrain

Mar 21, 2007
    I like how Robinson can't find the right strategy but still wins. The **** hits the fan and he just goes into overdrive.

Imagine knowing you had that type of thing under your belt for an emergency. I'm trying to think of other fighters who had this secret gear. Jack Johnson maybe?

9. janitor

janitor VIP Member Full Member

Feb 15, 2006
    Sure.

I think that in the second fight Turpin had the same problem that Max Schmeling had in the second Joe Louis fight.

He had beaten the unbeatable fighter first time round by finding a subtle flaw in their style and exploiting it. In the second fight the unbeatable fighter would not make the same mistake and would not get surprizesd.

10. Marnoff

Marnoff Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Feb 14, 2006
    I think a prime Bernard Hopkins gives him serious problems.

11. George W Hedge

George W Hedge Member Full Member

Jul 28, 2004
    I agree 100%

Even a young Ali used to rewatch Ray`s movements in the 6th lamotta fight, he would have dropped lamotta if the ref never stepped in... THATS how good srr was that night.

12. hdog

hdog Member Full Member

Jun 12, 2005
    He was a great matador. Anybody shorter than him that comes in gets butchered. Would probably still have trouble with Monzon though.

13. Robbi

Robbi Marvelous Full Member

Jul 23, 2004
    Other great middleweights would have showed him something different than Lamotta that night. Hagler and Hopkins had much more in their arsenal. Lamotta did have the the ability to keep coming though, and he was a hard opponent to keep off. Robinson was a complete fighting machine at his very best.

I have three documentaries on Robinson. Bright Lights and Dark Shadows, Pound for pound, and Sugar Ray's greatest fights.

14. Robbi

Robbi Marvelous Full Member

Jul 23, 2004
    I could agree with your opinion if Robinson dominated Turpin in their rematch, but he did not. He was yet again behind on the cards, and was on the verge of getting stopped due to the terrible cut. If Turpin had survived the round, arguably the fight would have been stopped, as Robinson and Gainford were told "last round". I'm pretty sure Robinson pleaded for "one more round".

Louis dominated Schmeling during their rematch, Robinson never done the same with Turpin. He had problems yet again. The most important thing of all though, he won the fight.

15. Marnoff

Marnoff Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Feb 14, 2006
    I agree with that. Hopkins for sure, and Hagler to a lesser extent.