IBF orders Canelo vs Scull

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by Chuck Norris, May 14, 2024.

1. oldcanvasback

oldcanvasback Active Member Full Member

Jan 26, 2018
    A couple of years ago Canelo fought 4 times in just over 12 months. The only way fighting Yildrim didn't hurt Canelo's public standing was in the context of being a stay busy fight in a very busy year. Same applies here.

2. IsaL

IsaL VIP Member Full Member

Oct 7, 2006
    I'm a Canelo fan and no this fight is horrible.

It's funny how the people crying about Canelo not fighting mandatories all of a sudden pre-emptively criticizing Canelo if he fights his mandatory.

LOL

shadow111 likes this.
  3. shadow111

shadow111 Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Aug 1, 2012
    Yildirim was the mandatory. Canelo was required to fight him. Scull is the IBF mandatory. Canelo is required to fight him.

The issue with Yildirim was two fold : not only was he coming off a 2 year layoff, but he was also coming off a loss, albeit a controversial technical decision to Anthony Dirrell, but a loss nonetheless after a long stretch of inactivity. By the time Yildrim fought Canelo, he hadn't actually won a match for 2 and a half years.

So the outrage over Canelo fighting Yildirim was justified, but it wasn't Canelo's choice, that was a decision by the WBC, an organization that many fans justifiably have a lot of problems with.

In this case, Scull is the undefeated #1 ranked contender for the IBF, so I don't see how anyone has a problem with this. I get that fans want to see Canelo fight Benavidez, but don't take that out on Scull. Apparently Scull has been the IBF mandatory for nearly 2 years, so it's about time they enforced the mandatory.

Meanwhile Benavidez is running off to 175, and if I'm not mistaken still hasn't officially been named the mandatory for Canelo. Benavidez has made it clear that he has no intentions to fight again at 168 unless it is against Canelo. Which serves as a built-in excuse in the event that Canelo fights him, beats him, then the same fans calling for the fight will claim that Benavidez was drained and that Canelo only beat him because it was at 168 and all that jazz.

Canelo should be fighting the best 168-lb contenders out there, not a guy who has made it clear he intends to fight at 175 and has a fight scheduled at that weight class. What I would say generally is that we need to stop whining and crying every time anything is announced regarding a future Canelo opponent. Scull is ranked #1 for the IBF, he deserves the shot.

IsaL likes this.
  4. IsaL

Oct 7, 2006
    Bro, some of the Canelo haters are in complete denial.

shadow111 likes this.
  5. shadow111

shadow111 Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Aug 1, 2012
    I don't know enough about the opponent to conclude that it's a horrible fight. He's unknown and people expect Canelo to stop him, that makes sense. But I mean, Munguia turned out to be a great fight and people are still complaining. I get that anyone not named Benavidez as his next opponent is going to be hated on, but at the same time, this guy is the mandatory and it's being enforced. Hard to complain about that especially given that so many consider Beanvidez the WBC mandatory, despite him not being officially named as such, as to why Canelo needs to fight him. This dude has apparently been mandatory for quite a while.

6. IsaL

Oct 7, 2006
    Canelo's most rabid critics will always find a reason to hate him. It doesn't matter what he does.

The whole Benavidez situation has them looking foolish and they don't even realize it.

Benavidez left SMW one week before he would be authorized to force Canelo to fight him, vacate or be stripped... Again, ONE week before being able to enforce his mandatory status, just like Scull did.

In other words, to the slower members of this forum, had Benavidez waited one week, he would have been in Scull's exact position today. Instead he left the division, got his ranking removed at SMW, losing the best opportunity to get a shot at the SMW WBC title in the process.

Now that Scull is his official mandatory, those same fans who cried foul because Canelo supposedly wasn't fighting his mandatory, and that not fighting mandatories was killing the sport, are now acting like they are upset if he fights his mandatory.

Make it make sense.

7. PistonHondai

PistonHondai Member Full Member

Jun 3, 2019
    How do these mandates work? Why did they not mandate Benevidaz instead?

8. lobk

lobk Original ESB Member Full Member

Jul 19, 2004
    Look at these triggered Canelo fan boys. LMAO

9. bandeedo

bandeedo VIP Member Full Member

Feb 19, 2007
    that dude gets dismantled with a left hook. pretty much anytime canelo wants to.

10. IsaL

Oct 7, 2006
    The reason they didn't mandate the Benavidez fight is because he signed to fight at Light Heavyweight before he was able to enforce his mandatory status.

Benavidez could have 100% enforced his status as a mandatory if he chose too. Now that he's fighting at 175 he's no longer in the 168 rankings.

11. sdot_thadon

sdot_thadon Active Member Full Member

Jun 6, 2009
    I'm not too thrilled about this fight myself, however you might wanna refrain from continuously bringing up "hands of plaster" all you do is remind people to slander him for his cheating. Let the man rest dammit lol.

12. C.J.

C.J. Boxings Living Legend revered & respected by all Full Member

Apr 14, 2009
    I don't bring him up its Pimp C , drenlou etc all the floydette brigade. they cannot explain away all his misdemeanors. the nsac, the csac couldn't either so they attack an innocent man Antonio Margarito he's the MAN! that caused that little coward FLOYD, to have a complete histrionic breakdown by just asking him "Why wont you fight me Floyd"? Floyd was hysterical as Ive no doubt you know. What an embarrassment for the little worm that calls himself TBE !! ROFLMAO

vast likes this.
  13. BCS8

BCS8 VIP Member Full Member

Aug 21, 2012
    Canelo would knock both those guys out on the same night and then go out on date night. Please. What is the IBF playing at.

vast likes this.
  14. vast

vast Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Nov 27, 2010
    Never heard of this guy because he apparently hasn’t fought anyone of note. This is yet another excuse for Canelo to avoid Benavidez. Huge letdown.

15. IsaL

Oct 7, 2006
    Mr. Huge letdown, can you kindly explain why Canelo needs to fight Benavidez?