If a past prime Patterson gave Ali trouble what would Prime Tyson Do

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by quest, Nov 29, 2007.

1. quest

quest Member Full Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Both trained by Cus d'mato, same defense with power and very fast hands. Although according to D'mato himself Tyson was faster,more powerful and the more improved version

2. hobgoblin

hobgoblin Active Member Full Member

Jul 31, 2004
    what would prime tyson do?

he'd get knocked out.

patterson could fight with a consistent strategy...tyson could not...big difference.

patterson vs holy would have been a GREAT fight

3. mr. magoo

mr. magoo VIP Member Full Member

Jan 3, 2007
    A reverse argument could be made in the form of " If Douglas, Tucker, Smith, and Bruno gave Tyson trouble, then what would prime Ali do?"

4. quest

quest Member Full Member

Oct 5, 2007
    the reason i used Tyson was because they both had similiar styles although Tyson was not past his Prime.

5. AREA 53

AREA 53 Boxing Addict Full Member

Apr 10, 2006
    It must of course be bourne in mind that The Ali that fought Patterson was drifting along on his world Roadshow tour and going over old ground with Quarry, Patterson and Chavalo, Basically Ali was just going through the motions, you saw what happened Went Ali put his foot on the Gas a Little, Against Tyson Ali would be much more prepared.

6. mr. magoo

Jan 3, 2007
    Frazier fought a similar style to Tyson to, and wasn't exactly past his prime either. Of course, he beat Ali in the first fight, but that was following a near 4 year layoff for Muhammad. Ali beat him in thier next two matches. Tony Tucker, who hardly the fighter that Ali was, fought a peak Tyson with an injured hand and managed to go 12 rounds, winning at least 4 of them. Douglas was more or less a journeyman despite his #2 ranking, and who fought a similar style to Ali, only was no where near the fighter, and look at what happened.

It goes both ways when making these comparisons.

7. quest

quest Member Full Member

Oct 5, 2007
    I see what your saying although i think the comparison with Frazier and tyson is unjust most of the time. They were both agressive and the same height and both had power, but thats where the comparison ends. Tyson had much faster hands, and more power. The power was not just good with the left hook like frazier but equally as devastating with the right hand or uppercut. I also think Tyson's defense was much better something he doesn't get enough credit for. And Tucker lasted the distance but he Lost by UD. People forget Tucker was a skilled fighter. He had very good size,power, handspeed, and moved well on top of having a world class chin. No need to go over the Douglas fight, Tyson clearly wasn't properly prepared in that fight, his conditioning in the Douglas fight doesn't compare to how he looked in the Biggs fight or Pinkleson fight.

8. mr. magoo

Jan 3, 2007
    Below is footage from youtube, one link contains Patterson's greatest hits, while the other shows some of Tyson's highlights. View them both, and tell me what similarities you see between Patterson and Tyson, plus why you feel that Tyson had more in common with patterson than Frazier.

Enjoy!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvZ2roRDPYU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9pOAk6pulo

9. ron u.k.

ron u.k. Boxing Addict banned

Feb 14, 2006
    come on did patterson really give ali that much trouble?

10. yancey

yancey Active Member Full Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Regarding that "near 4 year layoff", Ali actually had more rounds in the ring than Frazier did in the year before their fight.

11. My dinner with Conteh

My dinner with Conteh Tending Bepi Ros' grave again Full Member

Dec 18, 2004

According to Janitor, Floyd was winning their second fight on the scorecards. :D

12. mr. magoo

Jan 3, 2007
    Well maybe if Ali and patterson hadn't suffered knockouts to middleweights in sparring, then both would have performed differently. :D

13. round15

round15 Boxing Addict Full Member

Nov 27, 2007
    This depends on which Ali is being used for comparison. Pre-exile 1960's Ali would probably give Tyson the most trouble. Post-exile 1970's Ali would have a tougher fight against Tyson but would still win by decision. 1960's Ali was fast on his feet, but he didn't punch nowhere near as hard as the 1970's Ali. Mike Tyson at his best IMO were the fights against a tough Razor Ruddock. His prime weight at that time hovered between 214 - 217, meaning he still had quickness. The Tyson that fought Lennox Lewis had nothing left, except his punching power.

14. JohnThomas1

JohnThomas1 VIP Member Full Member

Apr 27, 2005
    And no amount of proof is going to change his mind, and that my friend, is that :lol:

15. ironchamp

ironchamp Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 5, 2004
    I think the Tyson circa 1987-1988 was the berst version

The 1991 version IMO was watered down.