If a punch lands on the arms or gloves and you go to the canvas should it be a knockdown?

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by Devon, Jan 26, 2021.

1. Jennifer Love Hewitt

Jennifer Love Hewitt Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jul 19, 2004
    If you go down it should be ruled a knock down, unless the ref sees a clear foul or can clearly see it's a slip.

2. Mr.Noob

Mr.Noob Member Full Member

Sep 3, 2020
    I have a feeling that this was something Google can talk about but if I was that much of a noobie. I would ask that kind of question just for the answer and stuff like that.

3. kirk

kirk l l l Staff Member

Jul 26, 2004
  4. Babality

Babality KTFO!!!!!!! Full Member

Dec 6, 2008
    Slippery slope. If I punch your arm and break it and you quit, it's not a TKO because the punch landed on a non-scoring area?

5. Badbot

Badbot I Am An Actual Pro. Full Member

Apr 17, 2011
    Well, it´s a TKO because I quit. The injury doesn't really matter, does it?
    If you hit me with a low blow and I decide not not continue, it´s a TKO as well.

Boxing is weird at times.

6. Babality

Babality KTFO!!!!!!! Full Member

Dec 6, 2008
    But there are cases where if you quit due to illegal blows, it's not a TKO. It's not the same, I know. Hitting your shoulder and you quitting means I really did hurt you. It's more definitive. I agree that a knockdown on a shoulder is a pretty cheap way to win a round and get an extra point. Guess it's a rule to avoid stopping to check replays or avoid not giving legit KD's that landed in scoring areas but the ref made a mistake or fighter claims it hit a different area.

Badbot likes this.
  7. RockyMarciano

RockyMarciano Well-Known Member Full Member

Jul 8, 2009
    You know by not specifying a gender...I was asking for that lol

8. sasto

sasto Boxing Junkie Full Member

Aug 5, 2020
    Here is where it gets tricky for me: a legal punch is thrown but the defender pushes the puncher's arm down and creates a low blow or lowers their head and creates a rabbit punch. Assuming for the sake of argument that everything was done unintentionally, is this a KD, a foul (on which side?), or something else?

I see this happen from time to time, it's not that rare, and the de facto answer is that the ref makes a judgment call, but I'd be curious if there are well established rules here.

If you could punch with both hands, couldn't you throw a double hook and effectively box the opponent's ears? I can't see how you would really accomplish a double arm punch without it being called a push, but I'd be curious to know if it's been done.

9. JBoog89

JBoog89 Member banned Full Member

Jan 9, 2021
  10. Badbot

Badbot I Am An Actual Pro. Full Member

Apr 17, 2011
    I think there is no point in really arguing over this, as it's ultimately up to the ref and how he sees the rules.
    However unfortunate that is.