if ali fought joe louis in their primes..

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by doug.ie, Apr 26, 2008.

1. doug.ie

doug.ie 'Classic Boxing Society' Full Member

Apr 1, 2008
  2. Woddy

Woddy Guest

I agree with Ali. Louis was way too one dimensional for him.

3. PowerPuncher

PowerPuncher VIP Member Full Member

Jul 22, 2004
    Wide wide Ali UD, I don't think he'd drop any rounds unless he took a breather, maybe he'd even stop Louis on accumulation. Louis is made for Ali stylistically

4. Bokaj

Bokaj Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jan 4, 2008
    My money would be on Ali, but I would never count out such a great boxer as Louis. Louis was the king of rematches as well, so a trilogy would be very interesting.

5. janitor

janitor VIP Member Full Member

Feb 15, 2006
    Louis was many things but one dimensional is not one of them.

Unlike Ali he did a lot better in rematches. Basicaly once he knew how you moved you were f*****.

Since we have seen Ali's banter on Louis it is only fair to give Louis's banter on Ali.

6. slicksouthpaw16

slicksouthpaw16 Well-Known Member Full Member

Jan 26, 2008
    They are probably equal to greatness but honestly, Ali would have out classed him and stopped him in the late rounds. Anything that Billy Conn can do, Ali can do it 10x better. Plus hes a lot bigger than Conn, faster, hits a lot harder and is the better boxer. Its as simple as that.

7. Bokaj

Bokaj Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jan 4, 2008
    Yeah, and Ali was better at adapting during a fight, so a trilogy between these two men at their respective peaks... Yum!

8. McGrain

McGrain Diamond Dog Staff Member

Mar 21, 2007
  9. Robbi

Robbi Marvelous Full Member

Jul 23, 2004
    I'd pick Ali. His free flowing style would mean he'd land on Louis more often than the other way around. While Louis was technically better with the fundementals, his style doesn't match up too well against a fleet-footed mover like Ali. Louis was the type of fighter who was more inclined to get himself set before unleashing effective punches. His movement wasn't particularly bad, but it wasn't great either. Ali's reflexes were quicker defensively and offensively. Being more athletic was a bonus to Ali when comparing him to Louis. He had quicker hands, a faster free flowing jab (maybe not as effective), and was much better with lateral movement. I just can't see how Louis would win more rounds. IMO Louis would need to work at mid-range or inside. Just can't see him getting in there often enough.

Louis for a possible KO? Liston couldn't budge Ali when he landed, which wasn't often. Foreman dented him, nothing more. Shavers hit him with with the kitchen sink and he soaked it up. Frazier and Cooper were the only opponents who had the alarm bells ringing, but Ali's recovery powers were evident in both contests. I do know that Banks dropped him and later Wepner. It's debatable for Louis knocking him out. But Ali's recovery powers would more than likely see him rise if Louis detonated heavily and dropped him.

10. jc

jc Boxing Junkie Full Member

Sep 9, 2004
    This has been done to death but my opinon hasnt changed,

Ali was a better boxer than Louis - period.

Ali would be too quick with his hands and his feet, he'd drop Joe a couple of times on the way to a wide points decision.

Ali IS the Greatest!:good

11. jc

jc Boxing Junkie Full Member

Sep 9, 2004
    Although I rank Joe Louis at no.2 in my heavyweight list, I would pick Liston, Tyson, Lennox and Holmes to beat him!

12. slicksouthpaw16

slicksouthpaw16 Well-Known Member Full Member

Jan 26, 2008

Agreed

13. mr. magoo

mr. magoo VIP Member Full Member

Jan 3, 2007
    Although I have the utmost respect for Joe Louis, I simply can't see what he'd do to beat Ali, or even give him much trouble. A prime Ali was ten times better than any boxer Louis ever fought, and had the chin to withstand any punches that Louis may or may not have landed. I give full credit to Louis for his wins over B. Baer, M. Baer, Schmeling, Walcott, Braddock and Carnera, but I really don't see any of these men being anywhere near the calibur of a Muhammad Ali. Although Louis may have been better than any of Ali's best foes, the difference between Louis and Frazier, Foreman, Liston, or Norton is not as collosal as the gap between Ali and Louis's best opponents. I could easily picture Ali outpointing Louis in a very one sided fight. All one has to do is look at the Billy Conn fights, or at least the first meeting. Conn was a huge underdog and a lightheavyweight moving up. He was a very slick boxer, but nothing of the likes of Ali. He had Louis all but beaten until Joe cought up to him. The key differnce(s), is that Louis had a better chin, greater size, better technical skills and stamina. Muhammad does to Louis what Conn did, only he's able to finish the job.

14. Rui

Rui Well-Known Member Full Member

Apr 3, 2008
    Perhaps Louis catches Ali offguard and drops him maybe once, perhaps even twice. But ultimately, I see Ali winning a decision over Louis. Just too much speed and athleticism.

15. cuchulain

cuchulain VIP Member Full Member

Jan 6, 2007
    Astonishing, mate.

I pick Ali.