if ali fought joe louis in their primes..

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by doug.ie, Apr 26, 2008.

1. abraq

abraq Active Member Full Member

Sep 17, 2007
    Ali and Louis. 1 and 2 on most people's lists. Most times, they are like that on mine too. I believed, from listening to my Dad, that Louis was the greatest ever and that Ali would be easily beaten by him. Ali's later accomplishments while clearly past his prime, made me think. Reading about their respective strengths and weaknesses as fighters from well regarded boxing writers created doubts in my mind.

And once I got to see a lot of films on their fights, I saw the light. In their primes, Ali would have easily beaten Louis. Ali was the better overall and added to that would be the fact that it would be a very bad match-up for Louis, style wise. In my all-time list, a few fighters much below Louis would have given Ali more trouble than Louis would have done.

My two paise (that is like two cents). A serious Ali (a la the Cleveland Williams) stops Louis on swelling in the late rounds. A less serious Ali clearly outpoints Louis.

2. groove

groove Well-Known Member Full Member

May 16, 2006
    The way Ali floated and the speed of combinations that he showed against Cleveland Williams is something i've never seen surpassed in the Heavyweight division. Many overlook that fact cuz they say Williams was shot but the wise understand the full picture. That performance was skills performed to the highest level. The constant movement, changing of distance, perfect timing and punching from all angles was outstanding. Put that Ali against any boxer and i only see one winner. He also showed off the shuffle for the first time :cool:

3. McGrain

McGrain Diamond Dog Staff Member

Mar 21, 2007
    The thing I like best about the Williams fight is not the skills (which are amazing) but the generalship. Ali comes out to feels Williams out and within about a round realises what he's got and starts sitting down on his punches. Awesome stuff.

Of course when they call Williams "shot" in this fight, they are not speaking figuratively, are they? He'd been shot, still had the bullett in his body I believe. So let's cool off a bit on the "version off" talk, no?

Nice avatar, groove.

4. JIm Broughton

JIm Broughton Active Member Full Member

Feb 24, 2007
    I lean slightly toward Ali in this mythical matchup but he would have to be VERY careful. Joe would be the best boxer/puncher Ali ever faced. Ali got away with alot of technical flaws because of his speed and reflexes. If any fighter could exploit those flaws and make him pay it would certainly be Joe. Ali would have to keep the fight in mid ring all night. Going to the ropes would be a dangerous proposition against a precision two fisted bomber like Joe. Plus, Joe's jab would present problems for Ali. It would be the best jab Ali ever dealt with and fighters like Ali(and Holmes ) do not like to be jabbed back at as it upsets thier rythym. To win this fight Ali would have to move. Standing still could prove disastrous. With that being said I still think Ali would take it due to good lateral movement and fast hands. But if he gets careless or tries to clown too much then it's nighty nite.

5. Bokaj

Bokaj Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jan 4, 2008
    Sounds very reasonable.

6. Robbi

Robbi Marvelous Full Member

Jul 23, 2004
    You couldn't be so far away. The other way around IMO.

7. Bokaj

Jan 4, 2008
    You compare Conn's defense and ability to take a punch with Ali's? You think little Billy would have survived 2 fights with Liston, 3 with Frazier and one with Shaver's and Foreman each? Fat chance.

8. Chinxkid

Chinxkid Well-Known Member Full Member

Apr 28, 2008
    I agree. Billy was great, but he wasn't in Ali's league.

9. Grebfan9

Grebfan9 Member Full Member

Dec 17, 2005
    I think that many of the posters are underrating Louis.

Louis had a hard fast left jab, an awesome left hook and a punishing
    right cross. He had great stamina and his handspeed was excellent.

While the Billy Conn fight is often used as a barometer re: Louis-Ali,
    it should be remembered that Conn was a seasoned fighter and was
    also a great bodypuncher and infighter, something that Ali never was.

Conn's style was different than Ali's, and Louis was overtrained for that
    fight.

Further, Louis was a fighter that put alot of pressure on his opponents,
    something that bothered Ali.

I give the nod to Louis by KO or decision.

Grebfan9
    www.firstroundboxing.com

10. Chinxkid

Chinxkid Well-Known Member Full Member

Apr 28, 2008
    Tell 'em brother. Does anybody really think we'll see the likes of that kind of heavyweight again?

11. Dempsey1238

Dempsey1238 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jul 10, 2005
    Any ATG would have look impressive against THAT Williams. I mean put Dempsey or Marciano there, and I dont think Williams makes it out of round 1.

12. Bokaj

Jan 4, 2008
    I don't agree. Dempsey or Marciano never looked that impressive against anyone as far as I know, and they met a lot of fighters that were lesser than Williams. He was ranked at nr. 3 after all, coming off a series of wins. He wasn't in his prime, but he wasn't a walking corpse either.

13. Hatesrats

Hatesrats "I'm NOT Suprised..." Full Member

Sep 28, 2007
    Different Era's Different Fighters...
    (Do I think Michael Jordan scores 100pts a game against The 50's & 60's Celtics)
    (Prob, YES!!!!!!!!!!)

That being said...
    I'd go Joe Louis with my heart by K.O.
    and Ali by UD, if Money was on the line. (A bet)

14. TommyRyan44

TommyRyan44 Member Full Member

Jun 8, 2007
    Ali would win. Louis had trouble with boxers who use range, footwork, and slick head movement. Ali was probably the best at using these skills in his prime.