If Ali retires after Manilla, is he still considered #1 all time?

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by dmt, Apr 10, 2020.

1. dmt

dmt Hardest hitting hw ever Full Member

Jul 2, 2006
    If Ali retires after Manilla (which is what should have happened), is he still considered #1 all time at heavyweight?

His resume would include:

Liston x 2
    Frazier x 2
    Foreman
    Lyle
    Norton
    Quarry x 2
    Bonavena
    Patterson x 2
    Bugner x 2
    Mac Foster

2. Charlietf

Charlietf Well-Known Member Full Member

Feb 25, 2020
    Yes. He would lose some good wins in young, lyle,shavers and spinks plus being 3 times hw champion but he would not lose against the stupid guy and trevor berbick

3. Dance84

Dance84 Unicorn and seastar land Full Member

Oct 11, 2017
    Thats when you know you are salty for calling a professional boxer stupid for doing his job

4. Charlietf

Charlietf Well-Known Member Full Member

Feb 25, 2020
    For doing his job? Berbick did his job too. He was a stupid because he acted like an idiot not for beating old Ali

5. janitor

janitor VIP Member Full Member

Feb 15, 2006
    Yes the core of his argument would still be there.

LoadedGlove likes this.
  6. CharlesBurley

CharlesBurley Well-Known Member banned Full Member

Feb 23, 2020
    He has a case but I think Lennox was better even if I like Ali more

7. Bokaj

Bokaj Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jan 4, 2008
    Nothing he did after Manilla really strenghtened his argument as GOAT HW. The wins over Young, Norton and Shavers could just as well all be losses.

8. dmt

Jul 2, 2006
    I think he clearly beat Shavers, I scored it a few months ago.

Young and Norton are debatable.

9. dmt

Jul 2, 2006
    In terms of resume and quality of wins? I don't think Lennox's best wins are as good.

10. 70sFan

70sFan Member Full Member

Oct 29, 2013
    For his health I wished he had stopped after Manila. I don't really think the fights after Manila affect his legacy one way or the other. He did enough beforehand to be considered the GOAT. I really wish we could have seen what would have happened without the 3.5 year layoff.

11. dmt

Jul 2, 2006
    I am not a doctor but I don't think his condition would have deteriorated like that. He might have retired in 74 or 75 otherwise.

He took super heavy hits from Shavers, Norton and even though Holmes went easy on him at times, Larry did nail him with hard punchers which did accumulative damage. Plus, the likes of Young, Spinks x 2, Berbick etc, all of these guys were decent to good punchers, plus cumulative damage from sparring sessions in the last few years.

12. Bokaj

Jan 4, 2008
    I had Ali edging Shavers, but a very close fight that could have gone either way imo.

Richard M Murrieta likes this.
  13. andrewe

andrewe Ezekiel 33 banned Full Member

Mar 13, 2020
    Yes, but not by as much

Richard M Murrieta likes this.
  14. Bokaj

Jan 4, 2008
    You can always argue that Lewis would beat Ali prime for prime, but in terms of what they actually did Ali is streets ahead. However you look at it. Wins over fellow ATGs, number of wins over top ranked opponents, number of wins for the undisputed title, undefeated in his prime...

15. dmt

Jul 2, 2006
    agreed

Although for the record, I don't see Lewis beating Ali prime for prime. The size advantage is moot. Lewis had tough fights with shorter fighters like Mercer and aging Holyfield, both of whom were shorter than Ali and had shorter reaches.

In a 12 round fight, the 1967 Ali dances circles around him and lands at will. Ali's work rate in a 12 round fight will be too high and he possesses hand and foot speed that Lewis has never seen before.

Lewis's size is a disadvantage vs Ali, not an advantage.

Ali wins a pretty one sided decision here.