If Cooney Had Faced Bruno in 84 ?

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Fergy, Apr 4, 2019.

1. Fergy

Fergy Walking Dead Full Member

Jan 8, 2017
    Instead of big Frank meeting Bonecrusher Smith in 84 ,instead he takes on Gerry Cooney ?
    Is this Franks chance of a big name win ..Or does Gerry take Bruno s unbeaten record ?

2. mark ant

mark ant Canelo was never athletic Full Member

May 4, 2017
    The first left hook Cooney lands, it`s all over, no way could Bruno take that kind of power, before that Bruno would score well with his jab though, Bruno will gas like he did v Witherspoon and Smith, the ending would be like the ending against Lewis, when Frank began to tire and started getting caught with jans so panicked and came forwards wildly leaving him open to the devastating hook that began his demise, Bruno couldn`t do as well v Cooney as Spinks did because he didn`t have that kind of ability.

3. Fergy

Fergy Walking Dead Full Member

Jan 8, 2017
    Im not sure that Cooney gets Bruno out that fast Mark tbh .Yes ,Cooney more than likely attacks fast but Frank survived an early onslaught from Tyson and took him 5 .
    I see Frank actually getting through those wild first couple of rounds and getting his jab working on Cooney ,mixing in a few meaty rights ,the type that hurt Lewis .Frank has to keep up the pace and keep him hurt and controlled ,the danger is if Bruno's arm's get tired and fatigue sets in .This fight would be a 10 rounder so if Bruno's sticking to it he gets a decision but he'd have to work like hell for it .

4. zadfrak

zadfrak Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 17, 2008
    All depends where the fight is at. I think it was impossible for the Cooney management to try and make their guy a road warrior and take on Frank in a big profile big bucks fight in London, at the time. It would have done huge business at Wembley.Winner takes a big step up and the loser drops back a ton---that's also why the bout didn't happen. That said, I think the only way the bout happens is with Bruno being the road warrior--hardly something he was comfy at, & tilts the scales for Gentlemen Gerry.

5. mark ant

May 4, 2017
    Lewis took Bruno`s right hands very well.

6. mark ant

May 4, 2017
    It would have been an exciting fight I feel.

7. rinsj

rinsj Active Member Full Member

May 19, 2007
    Bruno wouldn't have been able to hold and hit behind the head with Cooney as he did with the smaller Tyson. I mean, that's what Frank did for the balance of both their fights. Cooney would clobber Bruno. It would look a lot like Frank's loss to the Bonecrusher. Only quicker.

8. mark ant

May 4, 2017
    I agree except that Bruno was holding far more in the rematch, he was clinging for dear life.

9. Titan1

Titan1 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 18, 2004
    Cooney by late round tko in a good fight. Frank would get in his shots, but Gerry catches him with that hook around the 7th, 8th round and it is a wrap for Bruno.

Fergy likes this.