If Fury never throws another punch. Will history be kind.

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by williams7383, Jul 19, 2017.

1. liger1992

liger1992 Well-Known Member Full Member

Mar 29, 2015
    Please. Buster Douglas was fighting an undefeated Tyson who previously destroyed everyone before they were even in the ring. Fury faced a dominant champion but he was still old.

2. Odins beard

Odins beard Fentanyl is one hell of a drug.... Full Member

Apr 13, 2014
    Fury beat one of the most dominant heavyweights of all time, sure he wasn't "prime" but it was still a great win.

Douglas beat a good, but troubled Tyson who's championship reign was weak.

I'm not hating I just think that both are good or great wins, just Tyson has reached some mythical status when in reality Wlad is the far better fighter.

3. mcvey

mcvey VIP Member Full Member

Jun 2, 2006
    A self destructive man-child ,who caught an excellent champion at the right time, a man who didn't have it in him to knuckle down and create a legacy. Wlad and Chisora are his scalps , not enough to build a legend on . So he will be viewed as a man who squandered his talents, he's not the first to have done so and he won't be the last.
    I hope he has kept some of his £££, and he can supplement it by becoming yet another boring pundit, he will enjoy that because he sure does love the sound of his own voice.I won't miss him and I hope his cousin follows him shortly.

lawslaw likes this.
  4. Unforgiven

Unforgiven VIP Member banned Full Member

Nov 24, 2005
    Why do you dislike Hughie ?

5. Twentyman

Twentyman You dog nonce! banned Full Member

Apr 20, 2016
    I'm not accusing Mcvey of this but there are quite a few on here who can't see past the traveller culture when they make judgements on a fighter.
    Part of their culture does seem to involve sorting out conflicts by having a organised fight from adults right down to kids. There must be a wealth of fighting talent in their communities and it's a shame we can't tap into it more to produce more champion fighters.

Hattonmad likes this.
  6. welshjason

welshjason Member Full Member

Sep 25, 2015
    I have nothing against the travelling community i just don't rate Fury as a fighter with only wins over Chisora and an ageing Klitschko to his name. I think he's overated and i don't like him as a person either.

Octolony shore and lawslaw like this.
  7. reznick

reznick In the 7.2% Full Member

Mar 17, 2010
    Except becoming the lineal champion.
    He will leave behind an interesting legacy with asterisks, but will always be a wild card when discussing top fighters in his era, and fantasy H2H matches.

8. mcvey

mcvey VIP Member Full Member

Jun 2, 2006
    I think he has delusions of ability,and I think he pulled out of the Parker fight with a phony injury.I hope Parker cleans his clock.

9. Jurgen

Jurgen Pay Per Pudding Advisor banned Full Member

Sep 30, 2016
    Think Fury will be remembered as one of a group in the the era of the worst World Heavyweight Champions along with Pudding Stiverne and Charles Martin.

10. lencoreastside

lencoreastside Obsessed with Boxing banned Full Member

Dec 27, 2010
    I'd be relieved if he never threw a punch again. After the 10-punch "fight" with wlad I'm not keen to see him box, sorry. Worst drivel I've ever seen.

Jurgen likes this.
  11. Jurgen

Sep 30, 2016
    Totally agree - it even exceeded the stonkometer with the Danny Williams v Fraudley 1 fight.

Two men scared to throw a punch and both were a disgrace on the night.

Incredibly we see some posters on here who thought it was a cracking fight due to Fury's tactical genius in throwing 0.83 punches per round when in reality Wlad had punchitis.

12. Twentyman

Twentyman You dog nonce! banned Full Member

Apr 20, 2016
    He didn't look like he had punchitis against AJ.

Klitschko doesn't waste punches and doesn't throw unless he thinks he can land without getting countered. He couldn't set himself against Fury because of his movement and that Fury would jab him if he tried moving in. That was the template in which to beat VK and nobody else had managed that in a decade. AJ did it 18 months later, fair play to him but lets be honest, he's lucky the ref didn't jump in front of him when he was goosed on the ropes.

We all love a Ward v Gatti type fight but if they all fought how you expected them to, they'd all be punch-drunk by the time they were 40.

13. Jurgen

Sep 30, 2016
    The AJ ref quick to jump in the other way round later in the fight and yes AJ should have been stopped if the ref was consistent and/or not in Eh Day's pocket.

Twentyman likes this.
  14. Daveba

Daveba New Member Full Member

Jun 11, 2010
    Couldn't agree more. Vlad from the Joshua fight retires him.

15. JeremyCorbyn

JeremyCorbyn Active Member Full Member

Jul 15, 2017
    :D

You people, when you're not trying to take credit away from Lennox Lewis, you're trying to take credit away from Tyson Fury, when you're not trying to take credit away from Tyson Fury, you're trying to take credit away from Anthony Joshua.

There was not a single point in the fight where AJ had been floored twice in a round like Wlad had been, or was pinned in a corner receiving bombs from his opponent without throwing anything back in reply.

If anything the referee tried to help Wlad, he gave him way too much time to recover when he was floored for the 3rd time in the fight. Even if the ref hadn't stopped it, we were fast approaching the 12th round, Wlad was behind on the judges scorecards, and was about to go further behind, and was clearly far more hurt than he was in the 5th round. He would have needed to regroup and get a KO in the 12th round to win that fight. A minuscule chance of that happening. Absolutely minuscule.

The referee did the right thing, Wlad could have been killed out there. When a man saves your life, it is customary normally to say "thank you". Now he lives to fight another day, and hopefully after his next fight will be able to enjoy his retirement with his health intact.

The bottom line is Fury exposed Wlad as a champion who can't even fight on the inside. And AJ exposed him as the over cautious champion he has been for 10 years.

The Klitschko's reign was the most boring long running heavyweight reign in the whole of human history. Highlighted by the fact their fights don't sell on TV (except when they fought the British; Lewis, Haye, Fury and AJ). You guys should be getting on your knees and thanking British boxing for bringing that reign to an abrupt end and bringing a bit of razzmatazz back to HW boxing.