If Golovkin beats Jacobs, will his profile grow even more on the american boxing market ?

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by BrothaHansLanda, Jan 16, 2017.

1. BrothaHansLanda

BrothaHansLanda New Member banned Full Member

Jan 14, 2017
    And have a better leverage on a possible fight vs Canelo ?

2. dinovelvet

dinovelvet Antifanboi Full Member

Jul 21, 2012
    Yeah , sure , why not.

3. latineg

latineg user of dude wipes Full Member

Jun 4, 2009
    now how hard was that dino???

4. Caper

Caper How about a fair shake? banned Full Member

Apr 4, 2005
    I'm assuming it would being that he'd only have to beat BJS to clean out the division....I would love to see him with the top 168 guys

radupidu likes this.
  5. iii

iii Boxing Addict Full Member

May 3, 2016
    True Caper but the invisible man is easier to find than BJS

Caimán, Kevin Willis and radupidu like this.
  6. BrothaHansLanda

Jan 14, 2017
    LOL

7. BrothaHansLanda

Jan 14, 2017
    yup.

8. alexthegreatmc

alexthegreatmc Sound logic and reason. You're welcome! Full Member

Sep 10, 2013
    Each new victory will increase his profile everywhere. He's pretty popular in the US already, seeing as how his live gate sells quickly, US fans want to see him. It should increase if he's impressive against Jacobs.

Why wouldn't it? Is a better question...

chitownfightfan and radupidu like this.
  9. Mandibular Fortitude

Mandibular Fortitude Active Member banned Full Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Yeah. He's already 10 times more popular than Ward.

Kevin Willis and Robney like this.
  10. Caper

Apr 4, 2005
    10x seems a bit much maybe within casual circles. At my former gym in NYC Ward is still rated above him due to head to head breakdowns and overall pro resume.

11. Mandibular Fortitude

Dec 18, 2016
    Irrelevant who you rank above who. The simple fact is GGG is a much bigger draw than Ward. In fact, Ward does more to turn people away from boxing than make new fans when he fights.

12. Caper

Apr 4, 2005
    Again within your particular pocket he's a bigger draw and I wouldn't argue that the general public would share the same feelings. I had a dozen people in the house to see Ward vs Kovalev some casuals who were utterly entertained some became fans of Ward because of his ability to change the climate of the fight and ultimately seize control when he was clearly out gunned. Others liked Sergei and his sense of urgency....the fight was great and I pulled in more fans. You obviously have a different outlook than I do which is completely fine, your not obligated to respect or credit any fighter that doesn't tickle your fancy as long as you understand that your standards of greatness isn't the universal end all authority.

13. Mandibular Fortitude

Dec 18, 2016
    Once again pound for pound ranking is completely irrelevant to drawing power. Rigondeaux is ranked high pound for pound by most but no major broadcaster wants to put him on and when they do, he gets abysmal ratings. GGG is selling out arenas in various different countries. Ward can't even half sell out his hometown arena. And I saw plenty of people who was saying they was done with boxing after that decision.

Angler Andrew and BCS8 like this.
  14. BCS8

BCS8 VIP Member Full Member

Aug 21, 2012
    Golovkin is popular because of the "Mexican style" that Sanchez has been pushing him to do. He's much more reckless than he was in his early career where he was much more of a boxer. People like lots of action and flashy sluggers. Also he comes across as a nice guy and pretty respectful, which helps punt his "good boy" image. In actual fact I get the feeling Gena may not be nearly as nice as he makes out to be and could be quite unpleasant to get on the bad side of.

15. lewis gassed

lewis gassed The Bronze Dosser Full Member

Nov 24, 2013
    If you KO anyone in main event at MSG your profile will go up.
    This is 1 vs 2 guy, this fight is much more meaningful than say Canelo-Chavez Jr.