If Holyfield boxed Bowe could he have won all 3 fights?

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Devon, Nov 7, 2021.

1. Fergy

Fergy Walking Dead Full Member

Jan 8, 2017
    It could easily have been a draw the second fight.

2. Barrf

Barrf Well-Known Member Full Member

Sep 19, 2021
    Re-watching that Foreman fight, jesus, I forgot just how nuts Holyfield could be. Scrap with Foreman. Great plan.

I do point out, though, that Holyfield actually hurt Foreman in some of those exchanges, wobbled him into the ropes more than once, and at one point landed something like a ridiculous 19 punch combo to the face.

Who are your #1, #2, and #3? #4 seems a bit high for him, imo. Are you counting in the fact he's also in the running for #1 cruiser? Whether or not it changes his HW ranking, it sure does reflect on him as a boxer. He could have stayed at cruiser, ruled the division for 10+ years, instead he moved up into a more difficult division for him and still had a ton of success.

3. Dynamicpuncher

Dynamicpuncher Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jan 14, 2022
    I think Holyfield could of won the 3rd Bowe fight, had his energy not been effected by Hepatitis. He had Bowe really hurt in the 6th round, and on the verge of being stopped. But couldn't raise his energy levels to finish the job, because of Hepatitis effecting his energy levels.

ETM and swagdelfadeel like this.
  4. Marcus S.

Marcus S. Member Full Member

Aug 24, 2022
    I think Holyfield would've lost the third fight no matter what. Like Dynamicpuncher, Hepatitis really sapped Evander's energy. He couldn't finish Bowe when he was legit on his last legs in the sixth. Not only that, but Bowe really kicked his ass throughout the fight. I don't think he could've overcome all of that because the accumulation would've been too much.

Dynamicpuncher likes this.
  5. RulesMakeItInteresting

RulesMakeItInteresting Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 23, 2019
    Ali, Louis, Holmes, Holyfield, then either Lewis or Foreman. Holy won the title 4 times, is the only person to beat Bowe, stopped under 30 Tyson twice, never really seemed too hurt against Lewis....

6. Thread Stealer

Thread Stealer VIP Member Full Member

Jun 30, 2005
    No. Holyfield had a very difficult time boxing Bowe from the outside as well, as Bowe had a very good jab and used it effectively on him.

Holyfield worked very hard with Steward to work on boxing and using in and out movement. They did a lot of training focusing on footwork and rhythm. Holyfield fought an excellent fight and it was still extremely close. And it wasn’t just him boxing, I thought Holyfield stole 2 rounds (and the fight on my card) with late round rallies when he caught Bowe with good shots up close.

Holyfield was going to have his hands full no matter what style he fought in.

7. Entaowed

Entaowed Boxing Addict banned Full Member

Dec 16, 2012
    Foreman had some significant offensive & defensive skills of framing, parrying, creating angles, pushing, cutting off the ring etc.
    Holyfield with working out & PEDs came close to Foreman's dehydrated in ring size, but could not hit nearly as hard.

Frazier was basically blinded & a bit incapacitated for a while after Manilla-Ali was not dramatically better.
    If Frazier got even a "far", let alone "far far" worse beating, he would be crippled for life, maybe dead.

I do not know if he would have gotten more of a beating, or even as MUCH of one!
    Why? They set
    This content is protected
    for most HW punches EVER landed in 14 rounds.
    Ali landing more, & setting his feet often.

He hit as hard as Holyfield.
    Holyfield likely never landed as many blows even as a CW.
    Ali's blows were overwhelmingly to the face where it causes more trouble.
    How would Holyfield even do
    This content is protected
    damage as Ali?

8. PernellSweetPea

PernellSweetPea Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 26, 2009
    I always thought fanman helped Holyfield win by distracting Bowe and giving Evander more stamina.

Keleneki likes this.
  9. Heisenberg

Heisenberg Well-Known Member Full Member

Apr 30, 2017
    Yes but then he wouldn’t be Holyfield.

young griffo likes this.
  10. ETM

ETM I thought I did enough to win. Full Member

Mar 19, 2012
    Bowe outboxed Evander in the first fight. There was nothing Holyfield could have done that night. Riddick was a sharp, skilled heavyweight with a big jab, quick hands. He could hurt you at any range.

11. lufcrazy

lufcrazy requiescat in pace Full Member

Sep 15, 2009
    No.

He didn't just have a 1 round fight against Bowe. He had 3 full fights, the first two going 24 rounds plus fan man.

If Holyfield had a startegy to win, he'd have employed it.

12. djanders

djanders Boxing Addict Full Member

Feb 21, 2009
    Personally, I think a Prime and Healthy Holyfield could take 2 out of 3 from Riddick Bowe, if he went in with the right game plans and executed them correctly, which he was capable of doing (but often didn't). (IMHO, of course.)

Heisenberg likes this.
  13. mr. magoo

mr. magoo VIP Member Full Member

Jan 3, 2007
    I don’t think that Evander Holyfield was ever going to beat Riddick Bowe THREE consecutive times. Especially not in the condition he was in for their last bout. But while he was no sweet scientist, I DO think that he was a better boxer than Riddick Bowe. And if he had fought more intelligently and conservatively in their first meeting I believe he could have taken a decision in THAT bout. If this had occurred it might have changed the trajectory of the heavyweight division of the 90s. Holyfield would have then taken on Lennox Lewis ( rather than throwing a belt in the trash ) and winning at that stage was very realistic.

14. ETM

ETM I thought I did enough to win. Full Member

Mar 19, 2012
    That is true.

15. ikrasevic

ikrasevic For the honorable cross and the golden freedom Full Member

Nov 3, 2021
    Peak Bowe would have managed at least 0.5 - 2.5, no way it would have been 3-0 for Holyfield. Peak Bowe is favored over Peak Holyfield.